40 cal issue

40 cal issue

This is a discussion on 40 cal issue within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am only one year into the handgun life style and have my CCW just as long. I am looking to make my next purchase ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 40 cal issue

Question 40 cal issue

I am only one year into the handgun life style and have my CCW just as long. I am looking to make my next purchase in 40 cal however I have been told in close quarters(house,car) the muzzle flash is blinding and the sound would be temporaly deafing.any thoughs on these situational effects?

XD 40 is a great gun. Love mine.

Lead Moderator
    I notice no difference between .40 cal, .45 or 9mm in muzzle flash or noise.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Lead Moderator
    To add. I would more consider the snappy recoil and higher pressure of the .40 S&W , rather than noise or muzzle flash as possible issues.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

They are all loud. They all have flash - depends on the ammo. Plan on getting a 9mm, .40, .45, .22, .32, .380, 38 spec, .357 mag, .357 sig, .44 mag start with and then you can move on to other fun stuff!
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

Not much difference w/.40/.45 and 9mm/.38 spl in close quarters on in a vehicle.
    Now a hot .357 out of a short barrel or a 44 mag, there's another level of LOUD.
    " Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master." George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog1 View Post
    I am only one year into the handgun life style and have my CCW just as long. I am looking to make my next purchase in 40 cal however I have been told in close quarters(house,car) the muzzle flash is blinding and the sound would be temporaly deafing.any thoughs on these situational effects?
    The 40 S&W itself won't be any more than all of that compared to the other popular cartridges that get carried for self defense. 9mm, .357SIG, 38sp, .357mag, 45acp, etc........ The degree of muzzle flash will coincide with the degree of darkness at the time of discharge. There have been discussions and research as to the effects, or degree of sound levels perceived by the human ear during a self defense discharge while one is under duress and subject to the human body's adrenaline rush. It may very well be a non-issue, or it may be that those effects are somewhat delayed until after confrontations are resolved. Either way, and no matter what one's cartridge choice for self defense, you're going to shoot to live because that's what's important. In other words....if science is wrong.......I'd rather be deaf than dead.

Get one, you won't regret it.

In a confined space, any firearm would be blinding and deafening.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CJS3 View Post
    In a confined space, any firearm would be blinding and deafening.
    I agree. I would base my decision on other factors than these two. Blinding can be limited by ammunition selection; and some studies show that, while you may indeed have some hearing concerns after such an incident, you won't notice the noise at the time.
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    If you have to use one in close quarters, and / or at night; you won't notice the flash, other things will be on your mind. If you want a 40, buy one, it is a great calliber. After you get used to shooting one, the snappy flip doesn't matter. Like anything else, train with what you use and it will become a part of you.

Administrator
    Your worried about nothing. Be more concerned with selecting a caliber that suits your ability and your needs.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by sui-juris View Post
    Not much difference w/.40/.45 and 9mm/.38 spl in close quarters on in a vehicle.
    Now a hot .357 out of a short barrel or a 44 mag, there's another level of LOUD.
    +1! The guy with the hot 44 next to me at the range told me about my cavity months before my dentist did.
    "Lord, help me to be the person my dog thinks I am."

It won't be noticeably different than any other standard defensive carry caliber...

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog1 View Post
    Unless it's a compensated barrel, it wont be an issue.

Besides, if your firing in a CQB situation, I don't think you'll notice any muzzle flash......but that's just me.

The .40 is a good, proven round even if it's still fairly 'new', it'll do you good.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links