Group AR lower buyers question?

Group AR lower buyers question?

This is a discussion on Group AR lower buyers question? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Not wanting to jack this thread: http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...aler-cost.html What are you doing with yours? Buying a kit? If so from where? Saving just in case (election)? ...

Thread: Group AR lower buyers question?

Question Group AR lower buyers question?

Not wanting to jack this thread:

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...aler-cost.html

What are you doing with yours?
    Buying a kit? If so from where?
    Saving just in case (election)?
    Need a replacement for some reason?
    What are your plans?

I'm semi new to them, besides the military qualifying. And with so many different configurations, I don't know what's good or bad, preferred or not, so any advice would be appreciated.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

I'm looking at 3 different sites Model 1 sales ,J&T distributing,and Deltonic.I'm buying 3 lowers my friend will get 1 and I will help him build his first AR15,I have a 7.62x39 A3 upper that has no lower so I'm putting a lower together for it.and I will have one lower to decide on at a future date.I already have assembled 2 kit guns one AR15 XM177 style carbine modeled after the colt commando,and one 20" built after I bought a 20" SS match barrel and built the gun up from the barrel it cost a little more but it was still about 400.00 less than a comparable varmint gun.The Deltonic kits have an option for a Rock River Arms 2 stage match trigger for 80.00 if you look anywhere else that trigger retails for 120.00 and even tho isn't as smooth as a CM dropin or a Timney those run almost 200.00 It is pretty good,I have them installed on all my AR's including my AR10 in .308.There is a site CDNN investments that sales the barrel multi tool for for 19.99 and a UTG flip up rear sight for an A3 upper for backup to any optics you may put on it for 29.99 great price IMHO.Iif you ever want to change out a barrel the wrench is a must and actually as long as you have a barrel with a matching bolt for that calibre and either vise blocks to hold the barrel or the upper receiver you can change out the barrel and calibre instead of buying a complete upper.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member
    I've never built an AR before.

I intend to build three; one for each son and myself. My oldest doesn't shoot much or even care that much about it; his will be functional weapon. My youngest is a lefty, so I am looking at Stag Arms for his. Mine - well, I can't afford everything I want, but want it tricked out a little.

Generally, I am reading, listening, and talking to others for the balance of affordability and reliability. I am looking at the dealer/vendors dukalmighty indicated along with others referenced at AR15.COM

Yes, I bought the receivers because I fear results of this election and those in the future. I expect the erosion of our rights to continue. Therefore, I want to have some weapons available in the family for the future.

The question is, what do you want this AR15 to be? Do you want it to be a defensive carbine, varmint rifle, plinker??

Quote Originally Posted by RMTactical View Post
    The question is, what do you want this AR15 to be? Do you want it to be a defensive carbine, varmint rifle, plinker??
    Exactly once you decide what you want and how much extra you want to put in it we can give you better info and point you to sights that may have cheaper prices
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"

I think we oughta Start a thread showing what each member ended up building from his lower receiver just to show how easy it is and kinda like the old my parents went to vegas and all i got was a lousy T-shirt how about "Tubby got us a great deal on a lower and look what I built" thread

Quote Originally Posted by RMTactical View Post
    Is all the above too much to ask?

I understand most differences are pretty much cosmetic furniture wise. Feel free to correct me.

But, I've seen barrels from 16" to 24" What would be the advantages of the different lengths?

Also what's the difference between the standard and a two stage trigger?

And if you were going to upgrade any standard parts, what would be your priority?
    Μολὼν λαβέ

DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I think we oughta Start a thread showing what each member ended up building from his lower receiver just to show how easy it is and kinda like the old my parents went to vegas and all i got was a lousy T-shirt how about "Tubby got us a great deal on a lower and look what I built" thread
    Great Idea, maybe six months to a years down the line.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Sponsored Links