WooHoo! My first AD...sort of...

This is a discussion on WooHoo! My first AD...sort of... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Not sure if this counts... Went to the range with a couple friends to try out some handloads and just kill paper. The girl in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WooHoo! My first AD...sort of...

WooHoo! My first AD...sort of...

Not sure if this counts...

Went to the range with a couple friends to try out some handloads and just kill paper. The girl in the group brought her Taurus that she bought because it was pink.

I'd never fired one so she let try hers out. I loaded a mag, sent it home, aimed at the target, pulled the trigger and ...nothing. Checked the mag, one definately in...nothing. Chambered a different round (to re-cock it), nada.

Finally in shame I called the girl over to ask for help. I said (jokingly) it's broke" and pulled the trigger (aiming downrange the whole time). nothing. She didn't understand so I said "look at me pull the trigger" and pulled it a couple times. Well, that 2nd time that sucker went BANG!

Took me by surprise big time. Don't know if it's all tauruses, but hers has a super easy pull for a good ways, then a HARD pull to finish off. Very different than anything I've shot before. Even after I figured it out, I didn't like the gun. Felt very wrong for me, even wronger than a Glock and I don't care for those. Every few rounds my thumb would eject the mag too.

Well, I think I'm calling this one an AD as opposed to an ND, since I don't think I was being an idiot about it. Very glad that I followed the rules (although I guess I was in the grey area on that one). Very, very glad I didn't look down the barrel to see what was wrong.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

2. Remove Ads

At least you kept it pointed down range. When you pulled the trigger the first time, did the hammer fall? If not, that is one reason I have snap caps for my guns. That way, when I let someone fire one of my guns, they can do it with something that will not get someone hurt first.

I also don't trust those pink guns.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

no trigger fall, because I didn't squeeze hard enough. So I hought it was somehow not cocked or there was something that had the trigger disengaged. Extremely easy pull, like one ounce at first. Then like 20 pounds to actually do the deed. There is terminology for these parts of the pull, It just escapes me right no.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!

Friend just got a Millenium Pro and has had trouble with his thumb hitting mag release also.

I'd worry more about having a pink cupcake as an avatar and your choice of shooting a pink gun first...
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Yeah, that was it. Millenium Pro.

Is there some color cupcake avatar you prefer? Sounds kinda racist... I believe our founding fathers intended for all cupcakes to be created equal. Hmmphf, just when you thik the world has made progress someone has to remind you of it's ugliness...

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    A buddy of mine just bought a Taurus Millenium Pro .40SW and I hated it. Lousy trigger and just doesnt feel like quality.

However, if it saves a life when it needs to do so, its fine, but I would never be able to trust it.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

I have a sigro 2022 use to drop mags when i got it i'm a lefty,I took a dremel and ground the mag button down til I could still easily drop a mag when i wanted to but no more accidental drops,then i touched it up with liquid blue gun blue
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Administrator
    Sounds like a rough or cracked sear. Thats nothing shocking considering the source.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Administrator
    That would be a surprise detonation and not an AD since you had the firearm intentionally pointed in a known safe direction - not knowing what to expect from a likely malfunctioning firearm.
    The fact that the unexpected bang made you jump and/or added to the thrill of the moment does not make the discharge accidental or negligent.

Great! AD's, ND's and now SD's? Surprise detonation....I think I've had one of those before.

The fact he's delighted it happened like some kind of right of passage scares me LOL
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"

I understand I won't be a real pilot until I land with the gear up, either. That'll take forever because my gear are fixed, but I'll keep tryin'.

SD..new one to me too. Definitely more accurate. I won't be trading my XD for one of those. Heck, I wouldn't trade my keltec for one of those.

If anyone is having trouble with inadvertantly releasing the mag due to their thumb, then you clearly have a poor/Wrong grip, in fact your firing hand thump should not be anywhere near the mag release.

Even if your using the old "Weaver" grip your thumbs should be over lapping each other which is higher than the mag release.

The proper grip is with your weak hand thumb forward as if pointing towards the target agains't the frame just underneath the slide and the fireing hand thumb should be resting on top of the weak hand thumb with your trigger/index finger indexing the weapon also pointed towards your target.

With the proper grip you should not even come close to the mag release during fireing the weapon.

On the trig and Taurus. It's simply the worst trigger on the entire market. I purchaed a 24/7 Pro II in .45 ACP and the take up in single action is simply rediculus. I used this pistol for a while trying to convince myself that only releasing the trigger to it's reset point would give me proper follow up shots with quick trigger disconnect, but it's rediculus to spend that much time getting dialed up with a sup par handgun when I have Sigs, and H&K's in the home armory.

I'll never purchase another Taurus in my life.

Anyone want to buy a slightly used two tone Taurus 24/7 Pro II chambered in .45 ACP ????
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

Quote Originally Posted by Skygod View Post
    If anyone is having trouble with inadvertantly releasing the mag due to their thumb, then you clearly have a poor/Wrong grip, in fact your firing hand thump should not be anywhere near the mag release.

Even if your using the old "Weaver" grip your thumbs should be over lapping each other which is higher than the mag release.

The proper grip is with your weak hand thumb forward as if pointing towards the target agains't the frame just underneath the slide and the fireing hand thumb should be resting on top of the weak hand thumb with your trigger/index finger indexing the weapon also pointed towards your target.

With the proper grip you should not even come close to the mag release during fireing the weapon.

On the trig and Taurus. It's simply the worst trigger on the entire market. I purchaed a 24/7 Pro II in .45 ACP and the take up in single action is simply rediculus. I used this pistol for a while trying to convince myself that only releasing the trigger to it's reset point would give me proper follow up shots with quick trigger disconnect, but it's rediculus to spend that much time getting dialed up with a sup par handgun when I have Sigs, and H&K's in the home armory.

I'll never purchase another Taurus in my life.

Anyone want to buy a slightly used two tone Taurus 24/7 Pro II chambered in .45 ACP ????
    I shoot thousands of rounds and never had a problem releasing a mag on any gun til i got the sigpro it seemed like it just stuck out way to far and even bumping it dropped the mag,haven't had a problem since i "fixed" it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links