Has anyone shot an grenade launcher attached to an assault rifle? - Page 2

Has anyone shot an grenade launcher attached to an assault rifle?

This is a discussion on Has anyone shot an grenade launcher attached to an assault rifle? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Carried an M79 (thumper) during the Cambodia incursion in 1970, had HE, illum, buckshot, flachet, and gas rounds for it. It was great for perimeter ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone shot an grenade launcher attached to an assault rifle?

Member Array airbornerangerboogie's Avatar
    Carried an M79 (thumper) during the Cambodia incursion in 1970, had HE, illum, buckshot, flachet, and gas rounds for it. It was great for perimeter defense, but during a SHTF situation in the field a single shot weapon wasn't that desirable, which is why the M203 was born. First thing we'd do is break-off the sights, which were useless in the bush. I got to where I could put an HE in your back pocket from 600 meters. Wearing a flak vest lessened the recoil, but still made your shoulder ache after a few firings. All in all though, I really liked watching things go "boom".
    “Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.” James Dean
    Phil (NRA Member and Vietnam Vet)
    ------------- My CCW ----------------
    No Guns Here Boss
    I gave them to the naked Pigmy's in New Guinea

Yes!!! Years ago in the military...I had alot of fun...

http://www.freewebs.com/armyranger101/M203.jpg

I think the "military" toys only fascinate those that haven't had to use them or carry them for day's and nights on end with 5.56 ammo, 203 rounds, water, food, claymores, medical supplies, NV gear, radios, extra PRC batteries etc, etc,

You can fire 5 live HE rounds from the M203 on the range and get your "hoot fun" and then it's just another tool in the tool box, which sometimes you wish you wheren't the one having to carry it. I don't know anybody that was trained to use the buttstock on the ground with an M203 on the M16 or M4 rifle. The recoil isn't anything near standard charge OO buck out of a 12 gauge shotgun. Besides, I don't know how you'd use the leaf sight or quadrant sight on the carry handle if your buttstock is in the dirt. (insert sarcastic emoticon)
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

Quote Originally Posted by Skygod View Post
    I think the "military" toys only fascinate those that haven't had to use them or carry them for day's and nights on end with 5.56 ammo, 203 rounds, water, food, claymores, medical supplies, NV gear, radios, extra PRC batteries etc, etc,...
    There are a lot of firearms I've shot, and enjoyed shooting, that I would never use, buy, or carry.
    Last edited by Scott; September 6th, 2008 at 08:17 PM. Reason: fixed quote tag

Yup, spent lots of time with the M203 40mm on the bottom of an M16.

As already said.. its lots of fun!

Fired it many times in the last 23 years but never have seen it fired buttstock on the ground. How would you aim it? It was designed to be fired from the shoulder or under the arm at approx a 30 degree angle. Fairly accurate too. I remember the first time I fired it I was aiming it at an old deuce and half. I drew bead at about 150 meters for the front door, and low and behold I dropped the round thru the open door window.
    Per FM 3-22.31 max range is 400 meters, max effective range for an area target is 350 meters and max effective range for personnel and vehicles is 150 meters. The minimum arming range of the round is 14-38 meters and the casulaty radius of the HE round is 5 meters. Just some for info for the techie nerds.
    Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company.- George Washington
    Serving Since 1985- "Airborne"

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by goldshellback View Post
    Me too. Those blue-chalk rounds are a hoot and we'd get to "dispose" of all the leftover rounds during qualifications.
    BLUE?

I remember them being ORANGE.

Is my memory going, or did they change things up at some point since '92?

I LOVED the 203. You could actually see the round flying through the air. Took awhile, though, at 400m....

"PLOOOOONK!"
    *light cigarette*
    *pour cup of coffee*
    *smoke, drink*
    *stub cigarette out*
    *watch impact*

They were blue in 85, maybe you're color blind:)
    Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company.- George Washington
    Serving Since 1985- "Airborne"

Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
    Lots of rounds down range with an M203.

Also had the chance to fam-fire the good 'ole M79. That was a good piece of gear. Simple, accurate, and darn near indestructable. Of course we had to get rid of it!!!
    There still floating around , we had one in the gun truck this last tour

Blue rounds were practice, the gold tip were HE.The remark i made about firing with the buttstock against the groundwas in reference to the m1 with grenade launcher and like others have said the 203 is a shoulder fired weapon
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Sergeant Mac View Post
    BLUE?

I remember them being ORANGE.

I LOVED the 203. You could actually see the round flying through the air. Took awhile, though, at 400m....

"PLOOOOONK!"
    *light cigarette*
    *pour cup of coffee*
    *smoke, drink*
    *stub cigarette out*
    *watch impact*
    Blue plastic tips with orange powder inside.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    Yep...blue rounds with orange chalk when I shot them.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

I'd have no idea about things like that or colors for that matter. We didn't have color anything for the grenades. Shot the M203 in 1982 at jeeps and old boxcars from 200m out to 500m. Once launched, I can distinctly remember the sound of them going down range.......a rattle of sorts, like a bunch of BB's inside a spiraling can. I was much impressed with the end effect. Fired the Dragon and LAAW rockets the same day matter of fact. We still carried C-Rats in those days although a transition was taking place. I'm sure that technology changed since then, and costs went up to the point that "practice" rounds were used. I also got to set up and fire several claymores during RFTD training. I'm sure the service nowadays doesn't have the resources to waste on practical training as they did in days past. I imagine most experience comes from the field these days and deployment taught in the classroom. All of this shows our age and how things change dramatically over time and with the aid of technology. Humping the M16 with M203 attached, an ALICE pack stocked with C-Rats and gear, up Mount MF out of Pendelton was nothing for me at age 18, and doing night fire with tracers out of the M60 is an experience I'll never forget. We got to shoot and destroy a lot of government property back in those days. I'd like to thank the taxpayers for those times and experiences.

jfl
    Quote Originally Posted by coffeecup View Post
    Ya want RECOIL like you have never felt before????? Get your hands on a M-1 with the grenade launcher attached,stick one of those practice grenades on the launcher,place blank shell in chamber,put that thing on your shoulder and FIRE!!!, get up off the ground,check for broken bones and blood,wipe hands on the seat of your pants. Repeat until convinced that contraption came from the gates of HELL.

Yeah, I've done it. It was standard issue stuff back in the dark ages when I served.
    We were taught to put the stock between arm and torso and wrap the sling around the chest around the left arm. Then you would put your right hand flat on the side of the rifle and pull the trigger with the tip of the finger.
    Holding the gun normally with the right hand around the grip would result in a broken thumb, more often than not.
    I had a pen in my shirt pocket, where the sling was. The pen was shattered to pieces.
    Once you got it right, not unpleasant; after I got used to it, it would push me 2-3 steps backwards. That was for anti-tank grenades with a (relatively) flat trajectory.
    The others were fired mortar style with the stock on the ground; better but had to be careful not to let the funny sight thing hit you in the face.
    That is the strongest recoil I have experienced (suffered) from a portable weapon ... by far !!!
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Same here. M203 while in the military. Was fun! Its the only thing I shot that you could see the round all the way to the target. Qualified expert with it, but, that was pretty easy to do.
    “I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.”
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links