Has anyone shot an grenade launcher attached to an assault rifle?

This is a discussion on Has anyone shot an grenade launcher attached to an assault rifle? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I watch that guy on future weapons having fun shooting all sorts of weapons. Just wondering. A shooter at the range said he missed out ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone shot an grenade launcher attached to an assault rifle?

I watch that guy on future weapons having fun shooting all sorts of weapons.

Just wondering. A shooter at the range said he missed out on shooting an attached rpg because he was sick that day during basic. Was not a required thing to do for his basic, but he was bummed he missed out. He said there are camps you can go to to shoot full-auto machine guns (I knew this) and he assumed different types of launchers.

So has anyone every used one, at a camp, as an owner, or serving in the military? Hope I don't sound juvenile, but sounds lie it could be fun in a non-combat situation.

I was in the USAF Security Police in the late 70,s I fired the XM148 40mm grenade launcher and the later M203 grenade launcher,both mounted to the M16 rifle,it kicks similar to a shotgun and requires shooting at an angle to arc the round towards the target,I actually saw a practice round skip across the ground when somebody apparently didn't listen to instructions aimed it towards the target like a rifle
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    I've shot an M203 with training rounds. It's pretty fun, and not hard to learn.

One idiot was pulling the M16 trigger instead, so nothing was happening. He turned to the instructor and said "It's not working!". Instructor says "Pull the other trigger." Well, thankfully he had it pointed downrange, but while looking at the instructor still, pulls the trigger, and hits the tank in the very back dead on. I thought it was funny aside from the ND part.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Same......shot M203 attached to an M16 in the service. HE and smoke.

At RAF Lakenheath in England they were firing the M203 for training we had just got them after obsoleteing the xm148.Downrange there was a civilian british employee mowing grass by the runway and they were shooting at defensive perimeter bunkers for accuracy,one training round struck the guy on the tractor dead center in his back and messed him up pretty good even tjho it wasn't an HE round getting hit with a heavy projectile with a small explosive charge rocked his world.I was stationed at RAF Bentwaters/Woodbridge and we got the safety briefing from the incident.Apparently they thought he was out of range but the 203 will lob a grenade round up to 450 meters IIRC
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"

Quote Originally Posted by C9H13NO3 View Post
    I've shot an M203 with training rounds. It's pretty fun, and not hard to learn.
    Me too. Those blue-chalk rounds are a hoot and we'd get to "dispose" of all the leftover rounds during qualifications.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    Ya want RECOIL like you have never felt before????? Get your hands on a M-1 with the grenade launcher attached,stick one of those practice grenades on the launcher,place blank shell in chamber,put that thing on your shoulder and FIRE!!!, get up off the ground,check for broken bones and blood,wipe hands on the seat of your pants. Repeat until convinced that contraption came from the gates of HELL.

Yeah, I've done it. It was standard issue stuff back in the dark ages when I served.

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecup View Post
    Ya want RECOIL like you have never felt before????? Get your hands on a M-1 with the grenade launcher attached,stick one of those practice grenades on the launcher,place blank shell in chamber,put that thing on your shoulder and FIRE!!!, get up off the ground,check for broken bones and blood,wipe hands on the seat of your pants. Repeat until convinced that contraption came from the gates of HELL.

Yeah, I've done it. It was standard issue stuff back in the dark ages when I served.
    A little before my time but weren't you suppose to stick the buttstock on the ground and use the TLAR sight system (That Looks About Right )

EW3
    In Army basic training, I fired the M203 loaded with a training round and hit the APC that was 200-300 meters (?) away dead center, top.
    It was a lot of fun and very satisfying to hear the "fump" and see the grenade "explode" right on top of that APC.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

Just about every ground-pounder will have shot the M203 at one time or another. Certainly gave a lot more flexibility as a combo than the M79. For a really big bang, the 90mm recoilless was a trip. Just make sure some dope isn't standing behind you when you fire it.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

M203 during a fire demo at Ft Hood, hmm about 1986...

45K and 45B I miss working on that stuff.

Administrator
    Yup, lots of times. Its as fun as it looks.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    M203, also at Fort Hood, 1981-1985. Buttstock to ground, no "John Wayne."
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

Go to Spikes Tactical and pick yourself up a Havoc 37mm launcher.
    As close and the cilivial population can come without getting the destructive devices polka from the ATF
    I have absolutely no use for one, no ammo for it, no place to shoot it, but I fight the order to order one every day. They just released a carbine sized version....dang it
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

Lots of rounds down range with an M203.

Also had the chance to fam-fire the good 'ole M79. That was a good piece of gear. Simple, accurate, and darn near indestructable. Of course we had to get rid of it!!!
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links