Problems with new S&W 22a

This is a discussion on Problems with new S&W 22a within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just bought the 22a last week for a plinking/fun gun. Took it to the range today with some Winchester 500 round box of hollow points ...

Just bought the 22a last week for a plinking/fun gun. Took it to the range today with some Winchester 500 round box of hollow points and some Rem. Subsonics. First round, fails to eject. Second and about 80 - 90% of all following Winchester rounds fail to eject. The subsonics fire flawlessly. The Winchesters seemed to not be powerful enough to cycle the slide. They also seemed to jam in the chamber, making it difficult to pry them out with a knife. I gave up initially and switched to the 10/22. I decided to load it like a single shot to see what happened. About 80% failed to cycle the slide to ejection. I really want to believe it's a problem with the Winchester ammo and not with my gun since everything besides shot great. I did notice the Rem was 38gr and the Win was 36gr. Anyone else ever have similar problems?

Senior Moderator
    My 22a hated some ammo, and ran like a champ on others. I found the CCI mini-mags worked great in it.

Seems like 22LR pistols tend to be ammo-finicky.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Mine works usually with winchester bulk stuff, about 90%, but it is far more broken in than yours. It pretty much only gets mini-mags and has never failed with one of those.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

On top of the pistol jamming, my 25rd clip for the 10/22 kept double feeding every other round. Had to use my 10rd clips instead. On a positive note, after sighting in the pistol I was hitting shotgun shells at 30 yards almost every shot! I really love the accuracy of the S&W, now I just need to find some (cheap) ammo it likes.

Have you tried the Federal Champion 22lr 40gr solids? None of my 22's are finicky, but I've had some in the past like the Marlin 65c (rifle) that wouldn't eat the HP's very well at all.
    Federal Champion 22 LR Cartridges - 22 LR - Rimfire - Ammunition - Gamaliel Shooting Supply

These can be found at Wal Mart in 50 round boxes for $1.47 right now. I like solids for general range time and I may try these for silhouette since my other favorite load Remington 22T has gone to $7 per 100ct box.

I shoot federal bulk box exclusively in all my 22's the remington had FTF out the ying yang and I've fired over 600 rounds thru my S&W 22A with 0 problems and no cleaning in between
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I've also had good luck with these

Wolf Match Target 40gr solid.
    Again....the solids are more dependable in any firearm for 22lr IMO. These are accurate as well.

Links