Deaf from range - Page 2

Deaf from range

This is a discussion on Deaf from range within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Not all plugs are created equal. The ones I use have a Noise Reduction Rating (NRR) of 33 dB. The highest officially tested muff only ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Deaf from range

Not all plugs are created equal. The ones I use have a Noise Reduction Rating (NRR) of 33 dB. The highest officially tested muff only has a NRR of 29 dB.

Rick

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    I will have to put them in correct next time
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

If you're using the type of foam plugs that require you to twist them before inserting (the cylindrical looking ones) then get rid of them in my opinion. Wal Mart even has the rubber ones you just push in and they seal up very well without you touching the part that enters the ear canal. I'm a very particular about my ear plugs as I wear them every day I work, 13 hours a day under a set of muffs. I still suggest a set of muffs with or without plugs.

Wear your ear plugs and muffs! I have permanent hearing loss due to sons band concert, I got too close to the speakers and now have a constant ringing in right ear. It's been about two years now and it's still there.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

yea but Im hoping it will be gone here in the next couple of hrs but if not to the doc I go

I use the blue plugs at walmart and they actually stop more sound than muffs,I have hearing loss from Jets and shooting m16s without hearing protection,and shotguns and handguns
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    Speak LOUDER, I cant hear you!!!!! A price I pay daily for shooting unprotected.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrioticRick View Post
    Wear your ear plugs and muffs! I have permanent hearing loss due to sons band concert, I got too close to the speakers and now have a constant ringing in right ear. It's been about two years now and it's still there.
    Aah, the joys of musically induced tinnitus... I know the feeling (well, the ringing, anyway.)

I'm in the 32-33 NRR earplug camp myself, but nothing will beat plugs and muffs combined.

Quote Originally Posted by XD 45 View Post
    I used ear plugs from walmart and I shot between 45-60 and I was shooting out doors
    I use foamies and mickey mouse ears when I'm shooting! I've lost enough hearing in my younger years...
    USMC 1984-1992
    To err is human.
    To forgive is divine.
    Neither of which is Marine Corps policy.

"It's all about shot placement."- David (Slayer of Goliath)

Went to the doc and he told me my ears are good to but I have some little hairs in the hair laying down. But I got some ear drops and he told me I should be good to go in bout 24 to 48 hrs

Another vote for plugs and muffs. I even use plugs under my electron muffs. Really cuts down on the noise and you can still hear the range commands. PROTECT YOUR HEARING AT ALL COSTS - you can not repair it.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by XD 45 View Post
    Went to the doc and he told me my ears are good to but I have some little hairs in the hair laying down. But I got some ear drops and he told me I should be good to go in bout 24 to 48 hrs
    I hope your next visit was to the sporting good s store/gun shop to get some good muffs.

Glad to hear that everything will be OK.

Glad you went to Doc.

The wallyworld blue plugs are really uncomfortable when inserted properly, and especially for long periods of time as the rubber used is so hard. I use Howard Leight silicone plugs and they are by far the best I have ever used and last forever. A case should last a really long time as long as you don't lose them.
    HOWARD LEIGHT Fusion™ Earplugs - Lab Safety Supply

NRR are only rated for one frequency and there is no industry standard frequency. A NRR of 33 on one set of plugs or muffs might not be better than 29 on another set. Plugs + muffs does not increase the NRR arithmetically (e.g., 29 NRR muffs + 32 NRR plugs do not add up to 61 NRR) as 1) the decibel scale is logarithmic and 2) the two NRRs are probably at different frequencies, especially if the two are different brands.
    Vis consili expers mole ruit sua.
    -Horace

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    SAY HUH???

I am pretty much legally deaf and was not born that way . I read lips a lot in restaurant and other public places ( if there is any background noise i wont " hear you " unless i look at you . I really think that my deafness is less to do with the range and guns than it is to un muffled tractors and heavy equipment . The upside is that i can tell the wife " I am sorry hunny i was reading a book for the last two hours and did not hear you. Just what did you say ? The down side is that unless i " watch you talk " say in a reseraunt ( or anywhere else that might have any background noise " I dont have a clue what you just said .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links