Deaf from range

This is a discussion on Deaf from range within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have the same prob with my dad so I know the feeling....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Deaf from range

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    I have the same prob with my dad so I know the feeling.
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

2. Remove Ads

Try these: EarPro EP-3 Sonic Defenders®- EP3 from SureFire

I use these on the range and in the field. Very comfortable for all day wear.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

I too use foam without problems. They are provided by employer for on duty chain saw use which should say something.

Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    I usually shoot my XD45, shotgun and my AR-15 with only the foam earplugs. If they are inserted correctly they work very well.

I assume you must not have gotten them correctly inserted. It can be a pain.

How did you go about inserting these foam plugs?
    As to permanent loss -- in Vietnam almost every day of the year we were shooting 175mm artillery with a range up to 21 miles. Shooting muffs were not routinely provided to the crews. The crews used cigarette butts and/or their fingers. In addition to shooting we frequently received incoming rounds which are even louder when exploding in our area. Most eventually got their hearing back, but many suffer from tinnitis. Now I would not consider shooting without muffs.

My opinion is that his hearing will come back okay, unless he has been doing this for weeks on end or continues the old habits.

Even if the muffs were cheap muffs, they should have prevented his problem. Muffs are too inexpensive to consider using anything else (unless he thinks he needs the $200-$300 kind).

P.S. Coincidentally, XD45, AR15, and shotgun are exactly three items that I generally shoot. To me there is not all that much difference between .45, .40, and 9mm, AR15, and shotgun as far as the sound goes, but that is with shooting muffs.

Having suffered hearing loss from not wearing ear protection when younger, I now wear the foamies when I'm mowing the yard, running the weed-eater, and chain saw. Even wore them under my helmet when riding motorcycle years ago.

I think a lot of older people are hard of hearing in their left ear more than the right, due to driving around in their younger days with the windows rolled down(No A/C). Prolonged wind noise alone can damage your hearing according to a study done a number of years ago in relation to motorcycle riding. Usually wear both foamies and muffs when shooting, especially indoors.

I plan on doing the most I can to save what hearing I have left, even though I'm about due for hearing aids.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    XD45...let me get this straight...you went to the range without any hearing protection...and you're wondering why you can't hear??? My first thought is does ROTC teach this??? Have you always shot this way??? Does it look strange that everybody else wearing hearing protection and you're not??? I am dumbfounded...I hope you wear eye protection as well.

You put your commissioning in jeopody if you can not pass the physical due to hearing loss or eye damage...food for thought!

Rick

I lost a lot of hearing in the Army during VN from carbines and .45 caliber noise. I've had a permanent high frequency loss ever since. I'm very careful with what I've got left.
    A veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his/her life, wrote a blank check made payable
    to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life." Author unknown

XD 45 let us know if your hearing returns to normal in a few days, always wear ear & eye protection when shooting

Once during an IPSC match, I used foam plugs and didn't get them in right.

When the buzzer went off, I fired a couple of rounds and said, "OH, %@!#!!!!

The problem was I was in a hurry and didn't get them in deep enough.

But since I already have a constant ringing in my ears from years of playing in a rock band and going to loud concerts, I try to take good care of what I have left.

By the way, even some of the cheap electric ear muffs work really good.

I only use foam on outside ranges and muffs inside.

Is that the doorbell? Oh . . . no . . . its just me!!
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

Pick one:

Or

The choice is yours, I hope you choose the first one. I hope everything gets back to normal for ya.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Quote Originally Posted by XD 45 View Post
    I went to the range today to put some rounds thru my .45 and now I am semi deaf in my right ear and have been this way for about 4 hrs now how long will it be this way if any idea?
    I took a friend to an outdoor range a couple of years ago. After we finished and while I was walking back to the car, I was in front of him so I didn't see him take out his ear plugs. There were still people firing rifles at the time.

As he walked behind one guy, the guy fired a rifle that looked more like anti aircraft artilery (slight exageration).

My friends ears rang for the rest of the night. By morning they were better though.

If you think firing 40 or 50 rounds without hearing protection hurts, try sitting in the second row while Black Sabbath kicks out a 30 minute version of Ironman!!!

Those were the days!!
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    SAY HUH???

I am pretty much legally deaf and was not born that way . I read lips a lot in restaurant and other public places ( if there is any background noise i wont " hear you " unless i look at you . I really think that my deafness is less to do with the range and guns than it is to un muffled tractors and heavy equipment . The upside is that i can tell the wife " I am sorry hunny i was reading a book for the last two hours and did not hear you. Just what did you say ? The down side is that unless i " watch you talk " say in a reseraunt ( or anywhere else that might have any background noise " I dont have a clue what you just said .
    I am in the same boat. I have to see the person speaking, and by that I mean they have to be facing me when speaking and talking clearly, no mumbling or mispronunciations. Accents are a pain as well. I don't like holding a conversation in loud public areas. I'll do my best to move it to a quite room. also, I hate, hate, hate trying to hold conversations over the phone. Face to face or just send me an email.

While I don't have a wife, i have used my hearing loss in the same manner to many other people. i have also found out that I can filter certain people out completely so I don't have to listen to them. their voices are just like the background noise that everyone else ignores.
    Bend the knees, smooth is fast, watch the front sight.

just PLEASE tell me this wasn't you!!!
    (you did say it was your right ear...)
    Attached Images

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bandit383 View Post
    XD45...let me get this straight...you went to the range without any hearing protection...and you're wondering why you can't hear??? My first thought is does ROTC teach this??? Have you always shot this way??? Does it look strange that everybody else wearing hearing protection and you're not??? I am dumbfounded...I hope you wear eye protection as well.

You put your commissioning in jeopody if you can not pass the physical due to hearing loss or eye damage...food for thought!

Rick

No Rick I wore foamies and glasses for protection but I did not put the plugs in correctly but did not realize this until after done shooting.
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

cj
    As with some others here, my personal choice is foamies with relatively inexpensive electronic muffs cranked up to full volume. You can have a normal conversation and still shoot with doubled protection.

I've been in courses where I realized I was the only one still wearing hearing protection during the instructional periods since I could hear normal conversations so well.

Good luck to you XD! I hope the hearing gets better.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links