Broke an HK (I think??)

This is a discussion on Broke an HK (I think??) within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So I'm about 21k or 22k rounds into my HK USP Compact. Went out shooting yesterday with a few friends. Did some hard drilling and ...

Thread: Broke an HK (I think??)

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar

Broke an HK (I think??)

So I'm about 21k or 22k rounds into my HK USP Compact. Went out shooting yesterday with a few friends. Did some hard drilling and ran about 350 rounds (Blazer 40 S&W) through the gun in about 90 minutes. Everything ran flawlessly. No feed issues, nothing. We happily head home and I begin my cleaning. Its not until I pull off the recoil spring assembly that things appear.. broken.

Check this out. The top picture is what my gun looks like with the assembly installed. The parts are technically broken in this photo but you cannot tell.

And here is the picture of what the assembly looks like out of the slide.

That round washer on the left should be installed on the end of the guide rod, holding the spring in place. As you can plainly see, something is amiss. The firearm still cycles properly and I have no idea when it broke yesterday. The tension on the spring still feels proper and the gun obviously went into battery while running through a rough session.

I know I need a new recoil spring assembly. That isn't fun. And I'll probably have to order one from HK - can anyone guess at the cost, by the way? My main debate now is whether or not I can still carry it. It is a firearm with broken internals not operating in the capacity it was designed to. However at the same time I can't ignore what all went on yesterday. It runs flawlessly - which is one of the reasons I'm not exactly angry about all of this. Its a testament that a firearm can still break and the owner have no idea while shooting it. I won't say that this is a bragging right exclusive to HK (obviously) but it still says something about the build quality of that particular firearm.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    After 22K rounds...my thoughts are even a Lexus breaks.....I don't think there are many near that number level...

Rick

I would not carry it with the broken parts. Once they are replaced, I would not hesitate to carry it again. To get the replacement parts, you will probably have to contact HK. I tried to find the part at some other places, but couldn't. This is their contact info:

Heckler & Koch
    Commercial and Civilian Sales
    5675 Transport Blvd. Suite 200
    Columbus, GA 31907 USA
    Tel: (706) 568-1906
    Fax: (706) 568-9151
    Email: cs@hk-usa.com
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Lightbulb

for parts try here...
    HK Partrs Online or here Jarvis custom and HK Pro
    One more thing Aren't HK's great!!
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon J View Post
    f
    One more thing Aren't HK's great!!

I love mine.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

I guess I'd be a little hesitant to carry it, even though it would probably function just fine.

And, yes...it does speak well of HK's. Heck, a P7 can lose it's extractor, and still function 100%...
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

I had to look at the guide rod on my P-30 to see what holds the ring on, but it's different than yours. Mine has a split in the rod and tiny lugs that hold the washer.
    I was wondering if yours had an e-clip or did the washer just wear out?

The USPc one has a small clip on the end; looks like yours is gone. For the cost, it's REALLY worth having certain spare parts around...this is one of them. I made it a point to buy several parts when I bought my USPc, and I try to do the same with my other guns; I highly recommend it.

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    huh, that's interesting. Your recoil spring guide rod looks different than the one on my USPc. Mine has a flared end machined onto it that catches the washer, but it almost looks like yours has a groove for a c-clip.

If this is the case, it might be worth it to see if you can find a generic c-clip that fits snugly, rather than ordering an entire new recoil assembly.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

Administrator
    You should be due for a new recoil spring by now anyway.

Not really familiar with HK internals but, if the only purpose of that washer is to hold the recoil spring "captive" for easier disassembly/reassembly then the firearm should function fine in a pinch without it.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Weird. I didn't realize HK made so many different variations on one particular part. Bob, I think I like your version better. A flared tip would be easier to work with. Though.. this worked for quite a few magazines before failure.

QK, that's what I'm thinking. It worked fine without it. But I'm also left without a BUG for a carry. I'm wearing my white wool for the moment until I can figure out what to do about it. Again though, that's another reason I'm not upset.. The thing has taken quite a beating and for this to be the first thing to fail? Hell..
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob The Great View Post
    huh, that's interesting. Your recoil spring guide rod looks different than the one on my USPc. Mine has a flared end machined onto it that catches the washer, but it almost looks like yours has a groove for a c-clip.

If this is the case, it might be worth it to see if you can find a generic c-clip that fits snugly, rather than ordering an entire new recoil assembly.
    It is a C-clip missing from the end of the guide rod. A replacement should't cost much. On the other hand, it may be time for a new assembly anyway. The purpose of the clip is to contain the spring for disassembly and really has no function during operation. I can think of no reason why your USPc won't function fine even without the clip.

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    6B, if you find a good line on HK piece parts, please post it. I've found factory parts to be notoriously hard to get unless you happen to have a government contract.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

Links