Shipping Gun Back to Manufacturer; Now Really Confused

This is a discussion on Shipping Gun Back to Manufacturer; Now Really Confused within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a Ruger LCP that needs to go back to Ruger for an issue with it dropping the mag after every shot. I called ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shipping Gun Back to Manufacturer; Now Really Confused

Shipping Gun Back to Manufacturer; Now Really Confused

I have a Ruger LCP that needs to go back to Ruger for an issue with it dropping the mag after every shot. I called the gun shop today where I bought it from and got conflicting information. The woman I spoke with seemed like she didn't know what I was talking about when I asked her if I could have the gun shop ship the LCP back to Ruger to be repaired. I asked her if they used UPS, as that was what I used to ship 2 guns I had sold. She seemed shocked that I actually went to UPS myself and shipped guns.

I told her I shipped them to the buyers FFL and this was perfectly legal according to the BATF. She still sounded like she didn't believe me, than said "well if you shipped them yourself, why don’t you just do it that way again?" Well, I thought maybe the gun shop would cost less to ship. She said, "No, we have to add this and that fee, yadda yadda"

Now I'm more confused than ever. Can I ship this directly to Ruger myself? Are they considered an FFL? What about the return trip? Does that have to come back to an FFL?

Help!
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" – George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

2. Remove Ads

Before I sent my 9mm to S&W I called and they sent a prepaid shipping label. I boxed it up and took it to a UPS customer service center informing the clerk I was shipping a firearm. It arrived at S&W the next morning.
    “Put your pain in a box. Lock it down. No man is stronger than one who can harness his emotions.” -Act of Valor

Sounds like its time to find a new gun shop. Probably wouldn't hurt letting the members know who it was

Quote Originally Posted by philman View Post
    Sounds like its time to find a new gun shop. Probably wouldn't hurt letting the members know who it was
    ...or talk to the gun shop owner...he certainly couldn't stay in business very long if he didn't know about shipping guns.
    You probably talked to a newbie at the shop.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    A) You can ship overnight by a common carrier back to the manufacturer and the manufacturer can ship the gun directly back to you. This will cost about $40

or

B) You can get a pre-paid label from Ruger, and then ship as above for free.

or

C) If Ruger won't pay, your FFL may ship cheaper than a common carrier, but he may charge a fee or not. Again the gun can come directly back to you. This should cost about $12. My FFL ships for cost only.., ask the owner.

Option A is expensive, B is free, and C is cheaper but still costs.
    Last edited by ripley16; September 11th, 2008 at 07:23 AM. Reason: chekt mi speling

Quote Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
    Before I sent my 9mm to S&W I called and they sent a prepaid shipping label. I boxed it up and took it to a UPS customer service center informing the clerk I was shipping a firearm. It arrived at S&W the next morning.
    Sent my EMP to Springfield a week ago.... same thing. They provided a label. My understanding talking to them and to Fed-Ex, you have to be sending it directly to the Manufacturer (no one else) and it has to be OVERNIGHT delivery. And, NO AMMO can be in there with it, as well in a Flight capable case (don't know what fits in that category, but I used the original case inside of a Fed-EX box and they said that was good).

Either go to the shop or call and ask for the owner. More than likely s/he will ship it back for you for little or no fee as the larger shops have shipping accounts already set up. (Smart ) shop owners want to see repeat customers, not to turn potential repeat customers turn away. I called S&W when I had to send back my M&P. They sent me a pre-paid UPS label, but circumstances precluded my going to the UPS hub for quite a while because of my schedule and situation. I finally got some free time one weekend (when the hub was closed) and went to the shop where I bought the pistol and they put a tag on it and shipped it to S&W who then had it turned around in just over a week.
    Vis consili expers mole ruit sua.
    -Horace

1943 - 2009
    There should be no confusion here.

ripley16 has given the best reply so far, hands down.

I recommend you follow his advice.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Years ago, Bushmaster sent me a prepaid shipping label, I boxed up the rifle and a UPS truck came the next day to pick it up. I was sending the upper only in for warranty work. Front sight post was off. I've shipped a complete shotgun (broken down) to PA, and an AK upper to Texas via UPS. Seems like it was around $35 for the SG and around $15 for the upper shipping w/insurance. I've had a local FFL send my old Ithaca 37 to Wilson's and back for free.

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    I used UPS to send my Micro Compact Loaded (model name, the firearm was of course unloaded) 1911 back to Springfield Armory for repairs. It was expensive (overnight required) and Springfield did reimburse me for it (great service!).

I'd try to get a shipping label from Ruger if you can (with them using their UPS account). If not, see if they'll reimburse. And either get a satisfactory answer from the gun shop's owner, or dump the shop.
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by ripley16 View Post
    A) You can ship overnight by a common carrier back to the manufacturer and the manufacturer can ship the gun directly back to you. This will cost about $40

or

B) You can get a pre-paid label from Ruger, and then ship as above for free.

or

C) If Ruger won't pay, your FFL may ship cheaper than a common carrier, but he may charge a fee or not. Again the gun can come directly back to you. This should cost about $12. My FFL ships for cost only.., ask the owner.

Option A is expensive, B is free, and C is cheaper but still costs.

+1

Yes, you can ship it yourself. You do NOT have to ship it overnight priority though, overnight saver will work just as well!

Let us know if Ruger says anything further about your LCP, as I have one too!
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Several months ago I inquired about cost to ship a handgun to the manufacturer VIA UPS or Fed Ex. The amounts I was quoted were for overnight and both were between $65.00 and $70.00. A round trip would cost me more than having the gun repaired locally. Needless to say, the gun did not get shipped! I found that it is VERY expensive for an individulas to ship a handgun.
    We the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful. We have done so much, with so little, for so long, we are now able to do anything with nothing.

If you have a nice FFL that doesn't charge, THEY (not you) can ship USPS to save money. Most of my gun arrive USPS Priority to my FFL.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
    There should be no confusion here.

ripley16 has given the best reply so far, hands down.

I recommend you follow his advice.
    EXACTLY!!!

VIP Member
    Here are FAQs from the ATF website.

May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?

A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.

[18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(3), 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A)]

May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier?

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]
    Nonlicensee is someone who does not have a FFL.

FedEx statement:
    Firearms

A. FedEx Express will transport and deliver firearms as defined by the United States Gun Control Act of 1968, between areas served in the U.S., but only between:
    1. Licensed importers; licensed manufacturers; licensed dealers; licensed collectors; law enforcement agencies of the U.S. or any department or agency thereof; and law enforcement agencies of any state or any department, agency or political subdivisions thereof; or
    2. Where not prohibited by local, state and federal law, from individuals to licensed importers, licensed manufacturers or licensed dealers (and return of same).
    B. If your shipment contains firearms, select the Direct Signature Required or Adult Signature Required Delivery Signature Option, depending on the requirements of your shipment. See the Delivery Signature Options section for details. Firearms shipments are not eligible for signature release or indirect delivery.
    C. Firearms must be shipped via FedEx Priority Overnight service. FedEx Express cannot ship or deliver firearms C.O.D. Firearms shipments cannot be placed in a FedEx Express Drop Box.
    D. Upon presenting the package for shipment, the person tendering the shipment to FedEx Express is required to notify FedEx Express that the package contains a firearm. The outside of the package must not be marked, labeled or otherwise identify that the package contains a firearm.
    E. The shipper and recipient must be of legal age as identified by applicable law.
    F. The shipper and recipient are required to comply with all applicable government regulations and laws, including those pertaining to labeling. The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives can provide assistance.
    G. FedEx Express will transport ammunition when packed and labeled in compliance with local, state and federal law, and the Dangerous Goods section of this Service Guide. Ammunition is an explosive and must be shipped separately as dangerous goods. You agree not to ship loaded firearms or firearms with ammunition in the same package.
    UPS statement:
    Shipping Firearms

Special Procedures for Shipping Firearms

Use These UPS Services for Your Firearm Shipment
    UPS accepts packages containing firearms, as defined by Title 18, Chapter 44, and Title 26, Chapter 53 of the United States Code, for transportation from and between licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, and licensed collectors, as defined in Title 18, Chapter 44 of the United States Code, law enforcement agencies of the United States (or of any department or agency of the United States) and law enforcement agencies of any state or department agency (or political subdivision of any state), and from and between persons not otherwise prohibited from shipping firearms by federal, state or local law and when such shipment complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws applicable to the shipper, recipient and package.

Handguns, as defined by 18 U.S.C. § 921,will be accepted for transportation only via UPS Next Day Air® Early A.M.®, UPS Next Day Air®, or UPS Next Day Air Saver® services. (Note: UPS Express CriticalSM Service is not available for firearms).
    UPS accepts firearm parts for shipment, provided the part is not a "firearm" as defined under federal law; the contents of the package cannot be assembled to form a firearm; and the package otherwise complies with federal, state, and local law. (Note: Receivers or frames of a firearm, firearm mufflers and silencers are considered "firearms" and are accepted for transportation only if shipped in accordance with UPS's requirements for shipping firearms.)
    UPS does not accept automatic weapons, including machine guns, for shipment.
    Firearms, including handguns, and firearm parts are not accepted for shipment internationally
    Ammunition may be accepted for shipment internationally provided it is shipped in accordance with the UPS Guide for Shipping International Goods.
    UPS ReturnsSM Services are not available for packages containing firearms.

Follow These Packing Requirements
    Packages containing handguns must be separated from other packages being delivered to UPS.
    Ammunition cannot be included in packages that contain firearms (including handguns). Ammunition must be shipped in accordance with the UPS Guide for Shipping Ground and Air Hazardous Materials, or the UPS Guide for Shipping International Dangerous Goods.
    Small arms ammunition, as defined in 49 C.F.R. § 173.59, will be transported only when packaged and labeled in compliance with 49 C.F.R. § 172 regarding hazardous materials shipments.

About Documentation and Labeling
    The shipper must use Delivery Confirmation Adult Signature Required service for each package containing a firearm, including a handgun, and affix a UPS label requesting an adult signature upon delivery.

Getting Your Firearm Shipment to UPS
    You can only ship your package that contains a handgun from UPS daily pickup accounts or through UPS Customer Centers (counters at UPS operational facilities). Note: Handguns are not accepted for shipment through UPS Internet Shipping, UPS Drop Boxes, or UPS On-Call PickupSM, or at The UPS Store® or any third party retailer.
    When you are shipping a package that contains a handgun, you must verbally notify the UPS driver or UPS Customer Center clerk.
    You can ship a firearm (excluding handguns), from a UPS daily pickup account, UPS On-Call Pickup, One-Time Pickup, or a UPS Customer Center. Note: Firearms are not accepted for shipment through UPS Internet Shipping, UPS Drop Boxes, or at The UPS Store or any third party retailer.
    See the terms and conditions in the UPS Tariff/Terms and Conditions of Service for information regarding firearm shipments.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links