Need help with an anti - Page 2

Need help with an anti

This is a discussion on Need help with an anti within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'll open pandora's box...I too have wondered the same thing at times. I'm all for CC and the reasons so...but there are times I suspect ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 33
  1. #16
    Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    1,681
    I'll open pandora's box...I too have wondered the same thing at times. I'm all for CC and the reasons so...but there are times I suspect some buy an AK for the novelty, and never shoot it. Or call it home defense, but can never get to it for such. Perhaps it is a fear (paranoia?) of the world going Red Dawn. Regardless...of all the AKers out there...how many examples of it being used in self defense?

    Rick


  2. #17
    VIP Member Array Kerbouchard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,894
    Quote Originally Posted by bandit383 View Post
    Regardless...of all the AKers out there...how many examples of it being used in self defense?
    Rick
    Well, its still one of the most popular battle rifles in the world, so I guess I would say there are millions of examples of it being used in self defense. If you believe the U.S. will never see a war on it's soil, then don't worry about it. If you believe 'never' is a really long time, then it might be worth the investment.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

    http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

    Who is John Galt?

  3. #18
    Member Array bal_g23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    271
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    If you believe the U.S. will never see a war on its soil, than don't worry about it. If you believe 'never' is a really long time, then it might be worth the investment.
    Now thats the idea
    GUN CONTROL IS USING BOTH HANDS

    I believe its a shoulder thing that goes up - Carolyn McCarthy (D)

    The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says go away in every language.
    -Clint Smith

  4. #19
    Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    1,051
    Sarcasm:

    Because a weak assault rifle doesn't do the job.
    Because the wife has dibs on the shotgun. (this is true for me)
    Because I never won the lottery, but have lost lots of keys.
    Over 1 billion people, and armies of 3 continents cannot be wrong.
    Ignorance such as yours is protection from everything except reality.

    Real answers.

    If you are married. (At least this would be my answer, adjust accordingly)

    Some time ago I swore an oath, to honor and protect my family. That oath is not mere words or poetry, nor is it made in front of mere men, but unto a higher power and in his name. I sincerly hope that this world is as you see it, and that I never will be forced to take up arms and injure another human being in the defense of those that I cherish. The taking of anothers life is never a game or a joke, for not only does it cut off everything that person is, but also everything they could ever be. I too wish to live in a world that weapons are no longer needed.

    However, it cannot be denied that this world is a dangerous place that is sometimes filled with violence. There are people out there whose entire mission in life is to harm others, without cause or reason. How many people were killed in Virginia Tech? How many have died in the malls, or delivering pizza or walking their pets? My vows demand that I fullfill them by whatever means necessary.

    To suffer though the ordeal of coming home to see my wife beaten, raped or killed, to have my unborn child's life cut short just because it wasn't likely to ever happen in a million years would be worse than the torment of a thousand hells. A torment that I would endure until the end of my days. Not because it happened, but I had the chance not just today, but for a thousand days before to prepare for this unlikely occurance and prevent it from happening. I had those chances and countless others to say that me and mine will not go quietly into that dark night. That there are still people in this world willing to fight evil, and turn back the tide, that there is hope for a better future than what we see now.

    I am not strong enough to survive the ordeal of losing my loved ones, nor am I strong enough to prevent it if one were to try and claim their lives. Not without tools. The AK47, or any other weapon are the tools I own and hope to never have to use. Just like my fire extinquisher or my life insurance.

    In short as Tokien once wrote.
    I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend”
    Those tools help defend my family, and that is all I can do.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

    www.Lonelymountainleather.com

  5. #20
    VIP Member Array Rob99VMI04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Posts
    3,278
    Quote Originally Posted by bandit383 View Post
    I'll open pandora's box...I too have wondered the same thing at times. I'm all for CC and the reasons so...but there are times I suspect some buy an AK for the novelty, and never shoot it. Or call it home defense, but can never get to it for such. Perhaps it is a fear (paranoia?) of the world going Red Dawn. Regardless...of all the AKers out there...how many examples of it being used in self defense?

    Rick
    Korean shop owners used their AK style rifles to hold off the mobs of people during the LA riots.

    I also remember a story in the American Rifleman Magazine about a kid trying to leave Louisiana who after getting enough supplies to get out of town he fought his way to his truck with a AK with one of those Chinese drum mags.

    I'm not trying to attack you personally but the true meaning of the Second Amendment basically is that the civilian people control guns capable of fending off a invader and or \ overthrowing our own government if need be. Now all and all if you out assault rifles/ machine guns the police/military have you way out gunned. Thus undermining the true meaning of the RTKBA.

    Believe me I believe in reasonable gun laws.

    I.E. It is reasonable for me to pay True Market value for a Fully auto submachine gun from IMI, UZI, Colt, etc... Because the police are spending 8-1000 on full auto stuff vs what we pay is unreasonable for me to have to pay $25,000 for a semi good condition MP-5 built in 1980.

    I think a lot of people fall into the same way of thinking about nobody should own an AK because its an AK. Well those same people in my opinion don't really understand what the right to keep and bear arms is really all about. And if you truely believe that you can give a mouse a cookie and expect him to not ask for the whole bag latter then do I have news for you. Giving them a "Reasonable Gun Bill" i.e. ban Assault rifles. Your .308 model 700 deer rifle is next on the list because, two years down the road it is an evil sniper gun that can kill from long ranges. Just look at what their trying to do with the .50 caliber right now.

    The AWB thing is strictly a fear of capabilities and to strip you of your fundamental freedoms. America already has over 50,000 laws on the books concerning firearms. We don't need to ban anything else. If we truely want to fix societies issues of criminal activity we need to do something else. I.E. Make the 2nd amendment the true carry permit and let people choose for themselves, not to have to ask permission to carry, and after an area starts getting shot up you will see the people get fed up with it and fix the problem.

    Sorry for the rant and the slight turn off topic.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

    Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

  6. #21
    VIP Member Array ccw9mm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    27,002
    Quote Originally Posted by bal_g23 View Post
    why would I need a "powerful assault rifle" for protecting myself, wouldn't a pistol be enough?
    Every situation's different. The criminal element that spilled into many Los Angeles neighborhoods following Rodney King's soiree was effectively repelled by many shop- and homeowners who had powerful firearms that went way beyond mere pistols. (Kudos and a deep bow to those in the "Little Korea" area, specifically, as noted above.) It's pretty darned hard to argue against the viability of the increased firepower, when the criminals ante up like that.

    Would a "lesser" weapon be sufficient for you, generally? Absolutely. But then, here's the thing: how will you know, until you know?
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

  7. #22
    VIP Member
    Array ppkheat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    4,129
    I like the fact that there is an unknown number of battle rifles in the homes/hands of ordinary citizens. To me that unknown factor is a deterrent for home invasion, burglary, etc. So I think those AK's helps stabilize the safety of my community.

    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

  8. #23
    Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    West Tennessee
    Posts
    1,464
    "Lexington & Concord" sends chills up my spine... in sort of a manner of pride.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

  9. #24
    Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    1,681
    Rob...I'm not challenging you (or anybody else) the right to own an AK, but do reserve the right to challenge the logic used to own an AK. Personally, for self-defense in large group situations...I'd rather own a shotgun.

    Rick

  10. #25
    VIP Member Array Thanis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    2,356
    Quote Originally Posted by bandit383 View Post
    I'll open pandora's box...I too have wondered the same thing at times. I'm all for CC and the reasons so...but there are times I suspect some buy an AK for the novelty, and never shoot it. Or call it home defense, but can never get to it for such. Perhaps it is a fear (paranoia?) of the world going Red Dawn. Regardless...of all the AKers out there...how many examples of it being used in self defense?

    Rick
    I think you hit all the points. Frankly, it is not the best SD choice in the home, and not like a AK or AR will be CC. Legally, in a SD shooting, IMO you would want a pistol or shotgun. Holding up an AK-47 might not be a good choice in court.

    There are many SHTF situation where the AK would be nice. How many guns could a person carry if SHTF. I would think around 3 rifles would be a reasonable max. So even then, I'm not sure an AK-47 would be my choice.

    None of that is the reason. As someone pointed out about Golf. Some people buy clubs more expensive then a pro would carry. It is a hobby.

  11. #26
    Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    1,548
    Take him out to shoot the doggoned thing.

    If that doesn't work, no amount of logic will, so give up thereafter.
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."


    Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

  12. #27
    VIP Member Array Rob99VMI04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Posts
    3,278
    Quote Originally Posted by bandit383 View Post
    Rob...I'm not challenging you (or anybody else) the right to own an AK, but do reserve the right to challenge the logic used to own an AK. Personally, for self-defense in large group situations...I'd rather own a shotgun.

    Rick
    Sorry if I misread your argument. Shotgun is the Ultimate cover all aspect gun.

    But IMHO there is a reasoning behing everything. For that reason our military does not issue shotguns as the primary defensive/offensive tool.

    Heres the way I see it.

    Shotguns are used as a device if you have no idea what your about to be in and you need to have something that can cover almost any situation. This includes a less then lethal option.

    However, I dont' carry a handgun because I expect to be in a gun fight. I carry a handgun because I'm expecting NOT to get in a fight. Believe me, If I woke up this morning and the Arch Angel Michael said "ROB" @ 2 o'clock your goint to be in a shootout. I'm going to have an Assault style rifle as my primary whether its an AR or an Ak makes no difference. My Subgun in the car as a second option and a shotgun loaded with buck shot and slugs as an I'm really in trouble, and a pistol. O yeah a Bullet proof vest to add. And I'm calling every friend I know who has the same gear and tell them to meet me 2 hours before kickoff. Setting some of them up with SPR's.

    My logic If I take the road of fight fair...My tactics SUCK!

    I don't believe in fair fights
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

    Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

  13. #28
    Member Array karlmc10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    michigan
    Posts
    75

    First...

    an AK, AR or anything else that not capeable of auto or burst fire thru use of a selector switch is not an assault weapon. It's just another semi-auto like a 30-06 or anything else. For home SD it's a good weapon. I prefer a AR platform but that's just my preference. Try this, take your pistol and get in a shooting room clearing ready stance. walk up to the wall and then see how much space it takes, how far you are from the wall. Now do the same with a AK, AR or even a .30-.30. I think you will be amazed. I bring up the 30-30 because here in MI it is one of the most popular rifles due to deer hunting in thick woods. I own a few. the reason I bought them was for the above mentioned SHTF time Get in the woods to hide away from the crazies until you know whats happening and if need arises you can get ammo from any cabin in the woods here. Great carbine, just not semi- auto.

  14. #29
    VIP Member Array Rob99VMI04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Posts
    3,278
    Quote Originally Posted by karlmc10 View Post
    an AK, AR or anything else that not capeable of auto or burst fire thru use of a selector switch is not an assault weapon. It's just another semi-auto like a 30-06 or anything else. For home SD it's a good weapon. I prefer a AR platform but that's just my preference. Try this, take your pistol and get in a shooting room clearing ready stance. walk up to the wall and then see how much space it takes, how far you are from the wall. Now do the same with a AK, AR or even a .30-.30. I think you will be amazed. I bring up the 30-30 because here in MI it is one of the most popular rifles due to deer hunting in thick woods. I own a few. the reason I bought them was for the above mentioned SHTF time Get in the woods to hide away from the crazies until you know whats happening and if need arises you can get ammo from any cabin in the woods here. Great carbine, just not semi- auto.
    I agree with you total on the coined term Assault Rifle, not the the term Assualt Weapon. The modern world doesn't realize where/ what it actual means. If you want to go by the orginal definiton coined by Mr. Adolf Hilter "Assault Rifle" or "Sturmgewehr" your defintion. However, you can't argue (and it is unfortunate) that through modern lobbying and lies the term Assault Rifle has been bastardized, and with some cleaver marketing the wool has been pulled over most of the peoples eyes taking a true machine gun and passing it off as one in the same to a Semi Automatic Rifle i.e the Clinton Assault Weapon, yes its slang and to most critics inncorrect. However, in my own defence slang is still used effectively if the other side understands what your taking about. And let me ask the question cause honeslty I've never really looked into nor do I really care for that matter but doesn't the Acronym AR-15 (even though semi only) stand for Assault Rifle? I'm not trying to be a instigator I'm just saying that unless you actually know the root of the term Sturmgewehr and the true meaning. Most of your avergae people consider a semi automatic AR style rifle meeting the "unfortunatel Clinton definition" as an Assault Weapon.

    To recap Assault Rifle meets your definition.
    Clinton's Assault Weapons Ban (or extremly dumb Semi automatic FEATURE BAN)meets the Semi-automatic ONLY definition.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

    Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

  15. #30
    Ex Member Array JammanX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Twin Falls, Idaho
    Posts
    60
    I dont own a AK-47. I own a Arsenal SLR-95. It is not an assault rifle it is my hunting rifle. Do I own 30 round magazines? Yes. But I hunt with a 5 round. I only have the 30 round for the range.
    What difference does the look make. I can kill just as many people with any other gun I own.
    I have seen people shoot bolt guns just as fast as most semi's.
    Why does law enforcement carry 12 gauges? Are they going bird hunting?
    I have used my slingshot to hurt people but never my guns.
    BAN BICYCLE TUBES

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Boycotting anti-gun employers and anti-gun companies...
    By Toorop in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: December 20th, 2010, 12:04 AM
  2. IKEA is Anti-Concealed Carry and Open Carry Store and presumed anti-RTBA
    By mikestilly in forum Open Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: February 8th, 2010, 04:43 PM
  3. Anti-gun letter to the editor in anti-gun newspaper
    By cyberdogg in forum Off Topic & Humor Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: May 19th, 2009, 12:25 AM
  4. Anti-Gun vs. Anti-Defense
    By HotGuns in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: February 12th, 2008, 06:41 PM
  5. Airman shot by anti-war/anti-gov't nutjob
    By SIGguy229 in forum Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: July 15th, 2007, 08:44 PM

» Log in

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» DefensiveCarry Sponsors