No Loaded Weapons at Gun Show?

This is a discussion on No Loaded Weapons at Gun Show? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by CopperKnight It is normal. They frequently quote insurance regulations as why. I don't go to gun shows any more...because of my 'insurance ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: No Loaded Weapons at Gun Show?

Quote Originally Posted by CopperKnight View Post
    It is normal. They frequently quote insurance regulations as why.
    I don't go to gun shows any more...because of my 'insurance regulations'...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I like going to gun shows. We (not the wife) enjoy walking around and looking at all the stuff. To me it's sort of a guy thing and "something to do". It does get repititious though; I realized that I've been to too many gun shows when the dealers starting knowing me pretty good. Pretty good place to pick up case amounts of ammo too, or that hard-to-find magazine or gun part.

Dallas and Tulsa have very good gun shows. I try to support gun shows by attending them. When the crowds quit, then the gun shows will quit also. I also try to patronize Mom and Pop gun stores because it's the same thing with them.

As far as no loaded guns allowed, I don't like it, but it is the "price" I have to pay for protecting myself from those who don't know/practice the four gun safety rules.

Just wondering, has anyone ever heard of a gun show patron encountering a BG in the gun show parking lot? It has probably happened though I'd think it was rare.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckE View Post
    I remember thinking Heinlein was right. lol
    Thought I knew my Heinlein--what's the reference? Thanks!
    The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure that it is right. - Learned Hand

The big local show here is at a glorified indoor flea market with a separate show area.

I walked through the market area into the doorway for the show and saw a sign that said firearms must be checked in. I stopped and paused for a moment, looked over to see a table with an old man slouched in a chair, then back at the sign.

Your imagination can be used from here...
    OD G19 || G26 || OD KT P3AT

As far as no loaded guns allowed, I don't like it, but it is the "price" I have to pay for protecting myself from those who don't know/practice the four gun safety rules.
    Both Barney Fife and Dirty Harry are regulars at most guns shows unfortunately. It is the price for having it open to the public.

VIP Member
    My wife & I go to a lot of the gun shows in Virginia. If I had my way I'd be the only one with a loaded weapon in the shows. I don't trust others, with loaded weapons, that I don't know.

I have seen & even be on the receiving end of nim-rods pointing guns around with no clue as to where the barrel was pointed. I've even had someone intentionally point a rifle at me!....When that one occurred I told the offender where I was going to put the weapon if he pointed it at anybody else.

I have NO problem with the maroons being forced to unload. I DON'T WANT TO GET SHOT!

Even when everybody is required to unload, accidents have still happened. There have been several accidental shootings at gun shows. Can you imagine how many more would occur if they didn't say 'NO LOADED WEAPONS!'
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

The last gun show I went to here in Oklahoma had the sign about no concealed weapons allowed. While I don't like it from personal experience I have a little understanding what it behind it. I was at a gun show in North Carolina and there was a gun shot that rang out. Everything stopped instantly and you could have heard a pin drop. What I found out later was a guy was trying to trade a .25 auto for something and handed a loaded one to a dealer with a table. The dealer screwed up and shot himself through the hand. At that point the guy that originally had the .25 Auto ran like heck and got away without getting caught. They were both pretty stupid in my book.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

I used to rant and rave about this type of policy but changed my mind at a gun show last year.

The third time someone pointed a gun at me (3 different people at that), I was happy that loaded guns weren't allowed there.

Besides, mostly everything was way over priced. I know you can find good deals if you look hard enough, but it was crowded, my feet hurt and it just wasn't worth it for me to shop around that much.

First and only gun show I have attended . . . and probably the last.

Give me the local gun shop any day!!
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

^^ Exactly. One need not be disarmed if simple choices are made. For example: gun store instead of show; mailbox facility (ie, Kinko's) instead of US Postal Service facility; unposted businesses instead of those posted.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I will go against the grain here and state that not only do i think its a good policy , but i strongly think that the person/organization putting the show on should inspect the " dealer stock " before the show opens to the public . The reason i say this is because i was standing about 15 foot from a fella who picked up a 7mm mag ( from a dealer table ) and headshot a lady across the way ( about 150 or 175 ft away ) when " trying the trigger " some years ago in the Garden City KS gunshow . He could not have aimed because it had no sights , and no scope so it was in no way intentional . The disregard of safe gun handling on both sides of the table are inexcusable tho . The rule of NO loaded guns at a gun show panders to the " lowest common denominator " as it should , and ill note that it says NO LOADED GUNS , It says nothing about no ammo in a mag or a speedloader . Unload for the show , but stay current on your reload drills .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Went to one today and they zip tied my glock - they put the zip tie around the trigger guard - not through the magwell/action.

Not sure what that did other than make it not fit in my holster ?!

Thats why i dont go to gun shows any more sure i miss them but i dont go anywhere where that my gun cant go, not in today's world

Quote Originally Posted by FN1910 View Post
    I have never heard of anyone actually having to use a gun at a show but there have been plenty of ND's. Just a few years ago a 12 year old boy was killed at a gun show by a dealer showing off his gun.
    You haven't been to a Florida gunshow! Last year a dealer got rolled in the parking lot in Orlando. Thieves stole his lot of guns stored in a trailer I believe. This happened even though the county mounties have a big presence there at the entrances, etc. No LEO I've seen at the Tampa shows. Of course Orlando is nastier.

Concealed means concealed! I carry all the time at gunshows here even though they post signs. There's no legal no guns signs here in FL. I'm sure they could drum up some charge if you were caught though. Just don't go shopping for holsters when carrying!

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    Now I don't think it would pose any problem if "I" were to be armed at a show and I'm sure most if not all of you here felt the same but I have to admit I've seen some folks at a gun show that I was GLAD they weren't carrying with ammo.
    For God, Family and Country!

Quote Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
    You haven't been to a Florida gunshow! Last year a dealer got rolled in the parking lot in Orlando. Thieves stole his lot of guns stored in a trailer I believe. This happened even though the county mounties have a big presence there at the entrances, etc. No LEO I've seen at the Tampa shows. Of course Orlando is nastier.

Concealed means concealed! I carry all the time at gunshows here even though they post signs. There's no legal no guns signs here in FL. I'm sure they could drum up some charge if you were caught though. Just don't go shopping for holsters when carrying!
    I was refering to in the show itself. The parking lot is a different story whether it is a gun show, Wal-Mart or pre-school. I have never been to a gun show where they banned anyone from carrying in the parking lot, only inside the show. Can you give a case where it was needed inside the show itself?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links