No Loaded Weapons at Gun Show? - Page 3

No Loaded Weapons at Gun Show?

This is a discussion on No Loaded Weapons at Gun Show? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Guns and more Imagine what a ND would do at a gun show. Strangers are handling guns for purchase, hundreds of people ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Guns and more View Post
    Imagine what a ND would do at a gun show. Strangers are handling guns for purchase, hundreds of people are nearby. I don't have a problem with that policy.
    When it happened inside a gun show run by our state pro-gun group, it ended their annual gun shows! Luckily it missed a bunch of people standing next to the idiot who let the round fly.

Quote Originally Posted by Bando View Post
    But unless you work at a gun show, it's a small price to pay for all those pretty toys in one room. Imagine if every idiot in town had supposedly unloaded their firearm without having an officer check it. There would be more than one ND at every show. Not fair for the responsible ones, but probably a good idea(lots of idiots).
    Yup!

Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm View Post
    I have seen & even be on the receiving end of nim-rods pointing guns around with no clue as to where the barrel was pointed. I've even had someone intentionally point a rifle at me!....When that one occurred I told the offender where I was going to put the weapon if he pointed it at anybody else.

I have NO problem with the maroons being forced to unload. I DON'T WANT TO GET SHOT!
    Agreed! I've had it happen to me too. Years ago the local promoter used to OC in a shoulder holster and many of the dealers did too at the shows.

I work the shows as a volunteer for our pro-gun state org. I was talking with a friend (retired LEO) when some a-hole picked up a rifle (~150' from us) and aimed at us to "sight it". We moved and so did the rifle! I caught the attention of the on-duty LEO and told him to tell that a-hole that the next time he did that, he'd see my loaded gun pointed at him in that scope!!

At every show I see dealers and customers aiming at others, sweeping large groups of people, etc. It's disgusting . . . and certainly the lowest common denominator is at work here. I've had guns pointed at me in police stations (I was a PO) and in gun shops! I feel a lot safer at my local gun clubs . . . we don't tolerate that sort of behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulG View Post
    The third time someone pointed a gun at me (3 different people at that), I was happy that loaded guns weren't allowed there.
    Can't always count on that! There have been a handful of instances where an anti-gun person attended a show and slipped a live round into a gun on the table. NOTHING substitutes for the 4 basic gun safety rules . . . AT ALL TIMES!

I saw one person try out a laser system on a handgun by painting the back of some guys head two rows over. I've also worked a few shows. I've seen all the rules broken many times.

yeah, I have seen enough to agree with the no loaded weapons at gun shows policy.
    Bend the knees, smooth is fast, watch the front sight.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    ^^ Exactly. One need not be disarmed if simple choices are made. For example: gun store instead of show; mailbox facility (ie, Kinko's) instead of US Postal Service facility; unposted businesses instead of those posted.
    This is the same procedure I follow. I do my best to support those that support me.

Sometimes I pay a little more but in my estimation it's worth it. I don't get disarmed and shopping at gun shops is definitely safer. The gun shops I frequent will say something to someone breaking one of the 4 rules. They also don't have a problem with me pointing it out.

Holdcard
    If You Want To POPULATE Heaven
    You Have To PLUNDER Hell!!

4th Man Ministries

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    I don't remember a gun show allowing loaded fire arms even if you have ccw.
    Matter of fact, they post that it doesn't matter if you have a permit to carry to
    no loaded firearms in showroom period! It's been like that for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Stetson View Post
    I don't remember a gun show allowing loaded fire arms even if you have ccw.
    Matter of fact, they post that it doesn't matter if you have a permit to carry to
    no loaded firearms in showroom period! It's been like that for years.
    Same here in MS. A few years ago a guy picked up a dealers rifle and fired a 30-06 in the show it went between 2 peoples legs and hit the wall, luckily this guy had an end table. I can't imagine what that 180 gr round would have done had it went down the whole isle! Even some dealers are idiots I keep a mag in my pocket also, and always load up once out the door!!
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I go to the gun shows because usually they have a much better selection than the local so I get to see and feel a lot of guns that I couldn't otherwise. Sometimes you run across a good deal but not often. I did find a P3AT that was grey with a chrome slide that I had been looking for at a good price. That is the only one I have ever seen in person and the local dealers couldn't get one at a reasonable price. I also find some accessories or ammo that I can't find locally but normally I shop the local guys.

At the gun show in Greensboro NC, they not only require the gun unloaded, but they ban any loaded cllips or magazines.

Apparently they had an ND a few years back and have gone overboard IMHO

it is the law here too, and reinforced by the florida state troopers at the door.

of course, they just ask, "have any firearms with you?," BUT....there is no pat down taking place so i am convinced there are many who "lie" to keep the lead pipe hidden.

Quote Originally Posted by USMCXD View Post
    it is the law here too, and reinforced by the florida state troopers at the door.

of course, they just ask, "have any firearms with you?," BUT....there is no pat down taking place so i am convinced there are many who "lie" to keep the lead pipe hidden.
    At a gunshow a while back I saw two men looking at a P3AT and discussing it. One was telling the other about how easy it was to hide, reached in his back pocket and pulled his up just enough to show it.

Quote Originally Posted by FN1910 View Post
    At a gunshow a while back I saw two men looking at a P3AT and discussing it. One was telling the other about how easy it was to hide, reached in his back pocket and pulled his up just enough to show it.
    and the P3AT in his back pocket did not have the zip tie thingy threaded through the barrel either, did it?

OR, would that have been getting a little too close to note that detail?

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckE View Post

Is this normal?
    Yes its normal, however, the last gun show I went to was in Utah and only the State of Utah can make gun laws. The sign holds no weight here unless it is a "secured area" as defined in the Utah Weapons Law.

_
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

The shows put on by Washington Arms collectors in Pullup, and Monroe, Have the rule of no loaded firearms and no loaded magazine or clip. All firearms must be plastic tied, which is not allowed to be removed. Firearms can be sold or bought by Club Members only; that is both inside or in the parking lot. Anyone cought breaking these rules will have their membership cancelled and will be banned from future shows. What really bothered me about these rules was that some people plastic tied the firearm with the chamber closed, therefor it is impossible to check the bore and the chamber. I make it a habit to never buy a firearm at a gun show. If I go, I look at the firearms, buy ammo, Knives, books and other misc. items. I buy my guns in Gun Shops or maybe close friends and family. I get a better deal this way and don't have to worry about having bought a piece of junk with fancy furniture.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links