$2000 is Affordable? - Page 2

$2000 is Affordable?

This is a discussion on $2000 is Affordable? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am buying stuff I always wanted or dreamed about. It's either buy something I really want/like and smile while I enjoy it or DIE, ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I am buying stuff I always wanted or dreamed about. It's either buy something I really want/like and smile while I enjoy it or DIE, Leave it to the kids and let them waste it! I know that I can waste it better than they can. They can sell the guns if they want cash!!!!!
    PS - My wife is covered - she made sure of that!!!!!
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

jfl
    A carry gun is only a tool.
    Spend enough money to get a good tool, not more.
    Why buy Snap-On when Craftsman (Sears) tools are as good for less than half the price ?
    I've seen shotguns worth many tens of thousand dollars; they don't shoot better because of the engraving. They are artwork.
    For my carry gun I want something I don't mind being cosmetically damaged; the corners are shiny from holster wear, it gets wet when I ride in the rain, no problem; it goes BANG when I pull the trigger and if I do my part, the bullets will go where I want.
    I always smile, when, in IDPA matches, the $$$$$ custom gun has a FTF because the mag was dropped in the dirt (we do that in these matches) and not completely cleaned whereas the lowly Glocks, Berettas, SIGs kept going.
    Don't get me wrong, I like artwork also; my wife gave me a beautiful Luger P-08, I love it, but I shoot it very little and certainly don't even think carrying it.
    Just a tool, nothing sentimental about it.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Quote Originally Posted by chuckE View Post
    In one review, a Springfield Armory I think, they call a $2000 model "affordable". Well, maybe compared to the $3000 model from the same maker. WTH?
    CoughCoughFourGlocksandneveraproblemcough...

I only have two subscriptions, one being my NRA American Rifleman, and the other is GUN-testS. I know some don't like them but they do a pretty fair job evaluating all the guns they test. They buy straight off the shelf, they post not advertisements, and tell exactly what happened with each gun. They are more expensive than most other publications, but to me its worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Catalina View Post
    ChuckE,

Those magazines are mostly crap.

Between this site and a few others you can get much, much better information. Usually better pictures, too.

Check out the blog roll at downrange dot tv,. also.
    Have you actually READ an issue of American Handgunner?

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Bouquett View Post
    Have you actually READ an issue of American Handgunner?
    I'll field that one: I have. It's better than most of the usual fodder, but not significantly enough for my informational purposes. Between Small Arms Review and various reference manuals, I have a much better idea of current and historical operational arms than the news stand offers.

Gun writers receive incentives. Period. They do not take "random samplings".

Quote Originally Posted by jfl View Post
    A carry gun is only a tool.
    Spend enough money to get a good tool, not more.
    Why buy Snap-On when Craftsman (Sears) tools are as good for less than half the price ? Just a tool, nothing sentimental about it.
    I agree. I have had both kinds of tools. The Snap-ons are shiney and nice, but the Craftsmans are heavier and will take more abuse. Not that you should abuse your tool. (s)

Quote Originally Posted by jfl View Post
    I always smile, when, in IDPA matches, the $$$$$ custom gun has a FTF because the mag was dropped in the dirt (we do that in these matches) whereas the lowly Glocks, Berettas, SIGs kept going.
    I was at the range with my Glock doing a little defensive practice, and there was another gentleman there shootin' his mega-revolver at a longer range than I was shooting, so we were taking turns, when I started droppin' mags on the ground, he couldn't understand why I would allow dirt to get into the works. I explained that if you dont oil them all up, they really don't pick up that much dirt, and besides, if that was gonna cause my FA to malfunction, I want to now about it now, so I can get one that won't.

Oh yeah; about the OP; (Sorry about the off-topic)
    Anything over $400 for me is out of the question too!
    It amazes me how many can afford $2,000 (more than one time even) and then don't even shoot them that much.
    I would like to have that budget just for ammo.
    Other than my American Rifleman, I only read the gun mags that someone gives me.
    I would rather spend the money on ammo.
    Ammo is like meth - one little bit and then you can't get enough.
    This is the law;
    The purpose of fighting is to win.
    There is no possible victory in defense.
    The sword is more important than the shield and skill is more important than either.
    The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental. - John Steinbeck

Agree with Blackjack.

"Yes, I like my weapons to look nice and I like aesthetically pleasing lines, but to me a weapon is a tool and as long as it does what it needs to do in an acceptable manner then I am happy."

If you don't practice, and you're a lousy shot, a $2000 gun won't make you better shot - just like a $1000 driver won't make you a better golfer.

My two favorite guns (at least right now) are my Randall Raider and my Skyy CPX-1. Funny combination, I know, but I shoot quite a bit with the Skyy, and not so much with the .45. I can get 50 rounds of range ammo for the 9 for about $9. Same number of range rounds for the .45 is about $18.

I can shoot good groups with both, and am perfectly satisfied with either. But then, that's me.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Cost is relative. For all you smokers, the cost of your habit is a new Ed Brown once a year!
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

And here I sit trying to justify a used Glock for ~$400. :(

Quote Originally Posted by ImaShepardRU View Post
    Oh yeah; about the OP; (Sorry about the off-topic)
    Anything over $400 for me is out of the question too!
    It amazes me how many can afford $2,000 (more than one time even) and then don't even shoot them that much.
    I would like to have that budget just for ammo.
    Other than my American Rifleman, I only read the gun mags that someone gives me.
    I would rather spend the money on ammo.
    Ammo is like meth - one little bit and then you can't get enough.
    Bitter and clinging to my guns and my religion.

I feel like there certainly is a line... there is a point where you cannot get some features/quality without spending the cheese, and beyond it you do not receive more value (well not as much).

For each person it's different, for me it's about the $800-900 range. I feel that I could not find a less expensive pistol better for my needs than my Kahr MK9, which was $800. I also cannot think of a less expensive pistol as feature rich as a Sig 229 Elite.

Night sites, rosewood grips, excellent trigger, quality barrel, these are features that some people demand, and I do not think they are nitpicking. I do also agree that 2K is far beyond that 'return on value' curve.
    Dave

"When among wild beasts, if they menace you, be a wild beast."
    -Herman Melville

I am retired and have a very limited amount of money coming in. I pay my one credit card off a little at a time. When I have enough money available under my limit (6500) to purchase another gun that I want I buy it. I am getting older each year(arn't we all). Time is running out. I get them when I can in the only means possible. My credit card is only used for Guns, knives, and ammo. If I work things out righr, when I died I will have all the guns I want and my credit card will be maxed out.

Affordability is a nebulous term, and is always relative to items being bought. My other hobby is photography, which is quite expensive. An affordable camera would be considered up to $4000-5000. Affordable lenses may cost $500-1000 each. As such "affordable" in photography has very different meaning than affordable in guns.

In the context of the article, I'm sure that the auther used "affordable" to mean the price is within reach of the normal working individual. Yes, for somone making $50K a year, $2k is a lot of money, but certainly is obtainable. 1911's in general are expensive guns. Low end guns start around the $600-700 range, mid range guns are in the $1000-1200 range, and high end guns are in the $2000+ range. If you are in market for a 1911, you have already understood that you are buying a pricier item, where the low end would cost just as much as the high end in another class of guns (for example polymer based guns). If you have 1911 taste, you are prepared to pay 1911 prices.

I laugh at the gun guys who talk about how $2000 is too much, and these same guys have 5 guns that cost $400-500 each. I know many gun owners where their gun collection costs more than their cars. I think people are getting too caught up on the cost of the gun. Is the guy who spends $2000 on a single, high quality gun for his collection any different than the guy who spends $400-600 on each 5-6 guns they have in their collection?

Personally, I live by the "quality over quantity" rule. I would rather have one gun that costs $1000 than I would have 3 guns that cost $300 each.

I bought a SA XD 45, just ok to me. Then I bought an Ed Brown (Kobra) and entirely different league. Excellent craftsmanship versus the plastic gun, and it is more accurate for a FACT.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links