$2000 is Affordable?

This is a discussion on $2000 is Affordable? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I just bought my first issue of Combat Handguns. Though I like it a whole lot better than G & A, they definitely have a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $2000 is Affordable?

$2000 is Affordable?

I just bought my first issue of Combat Handguns. Though I like it a whole lot better than G & A, they definitely have a 1911 bias. Not only that, they seem to love reviewing $1000+ 1911s.

In one review, a Springfield Armory I think, they call a $2000 model "affordable". Well, maybe compared to the $3000 model from the same maker. WTH?

Uh, not for me. lol
    Bitter and clinging to my guns and my religion.

2. Remove Ads

The only magazine I read anymore is "American Handgunner" they review expensive guns from time to time but the writers are shooters, Clint Smith etc.. The current issue has an article titled " Champagne taste vs. beer budget handguns" If you haven't seen it you should take a look, I think you would like it.

Yeah, AH is my favorite gun mag. I just hate waiting so long for the next issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolphin View Post
    The only magazine I read anymore is "American Handgunner" they review expensive guns from time to time but the writers are shooters, Clint Smith etc.. The current issue has an article titled " Champagne taste vs. beer budget handguns" If you haven't seen it you should take a look, I think you would like it.

My $2000+ Ed Brown is much more affordable than the three POS's I sold for it.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

I think that says more about the overpriced POSs than about the affordability of a $2000 gun.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    My $2000+ Ed Brown is much more affordable than the three POS's I sold for it.

Sorry, but for me, when it starts getting above $1000.00 it starts to become un-affordable.

I completely understand the value in cosmetics and aesthetics, but when I can get a pistol for less than $900.00 that has all the features that I am looking for, and is just as reliable as that $2000.00+ pistol, and is more accurate than I am, well I just can not justify the extra cost.

Yes, I like my weapons to look nice and I like aesthetically pleasing lines, but to me a weapon is a tool and as long as it does what it needs to do in an acceptable manner then I am happy.

I have two Springfield Loaded models; one is a Black Stainless Combat model that I got for $700.00, the other is a Park’ed Combat model that I paid $870.00 for. Both of these are very reliable, have relatively tight fit, and are more accurate than I am. What else do I need??

Would I like to have a $2000.00 - $3000.00 custom 1911? You bet! And if I ever win the lottery I might be able to justify the cost.

Exactly Blackjack.

When I looked through the magazine, I felt like I was looking at the Robb's Report of guns. lol
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackJack View Post
    Sorry, but for me, when it starts getting above $1000.00 it starts to become un-affordable.

I completely understand the value in cosmetics and aesthetics, but when I can get a pistol for less than $900.00 that has all the features that I am looking for, and is just as reliable as that $2000.00+ pistol, and is more accurate than I am, well I just can not justify the extra cost.

Yes, I like my weapons to look nice and I like aesthetically pleasing lines, but to me a weapon is a tool and as long as it does what it needs to do in an acceptable manner then I am happy.

I have two Springfield Loaded models; one is a Black Stainless Combat model that I got for $700.00, the other is a Park’ed Combat model that I paid $870.00 for. Both of these are very reliable, have relatively tight fit, and are more accurate than I am. What else do I need??

Would I like to have a $2000.00 - $3000.00 custom 1911? You bet! And if I ever win the lottery I might be able to justify the cost.

ChuckE,

Those magazines are mostly crap.

Between this site and a few others you can get much, much better information. Usually better pictures, too.

Check out the blog roll at downrange dot tv,. also.
    Go Glock - until you can afford H&K

Gun mags usually represent the MSRP anyway. Depending on the firearm and cost portrayed, one can usually guess pretty close percentage-wise on the cost to you at the dealer. Personally, I don't think many things are actually affordable anymore. I've laid out a few thousand in cash for a vehicle down payment before....that part was easy. When I start thinking of an item that costs $1000, the biggest thing in my mind is the 9%+ sales tax added to it! I'll think more in terms of manageable rather than affordable, mainly because a purchase like that, right now, would in essence affect our finances for a couple months down the road. Not that I don't like instant potatoes, box mac&cheese, or bologna sandwiches.

Here in AZ, no sales tax on private sales.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackJack View Post
    Sorry, but for me, when it starts getting above $10 it starts to become un-affordable.
    Would I like to have a $400 - $600 [insert name]? You bet! And if I ever win the lottery I might be able to justify the cost.

Administrator
    I dunno.. depends on who's budget we are talking about. To me, anything that I buy that is not a necessity, and costs more than 1k better be giving me a return on my money.

I will admit I've broken that rule a few times, but I figured I'm only going around once and cash won't do me much good in the end.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    cash won't do me much good in the end.
    Thats right, my only goal is to die broke.

The problem is coordinating the two and getting the timing right.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I've had champane(sp) tastes on a beer budget in the past. Made a few mistakes trying to justify spending more money on a new toy than I could really afford. Maybe most of us have done the same thing.

Over all life, has been pretty good to me. I owe NO money to anyone,live in a nice home on the lake,drive a ratty old pickup to pull my bass boat, while the "war dept" has a right new Lincoln to putt around in.

We are getting along in years now and health issues are becoming more frequent for both of us.

Look at it this way---Take care of your family first!!!! Toys are WAY down the list in importance. You'll be glad you did one of these days. Buy what you can afford now and trade it for something nicer later when the money wont hurt your budget/

I traded a few no longer used guns for my first 1911 and found one that wasnt cheap but is as close to perfect for me as you can get ,but this is my only one so I'm biased. I like having something you won't see everyday!
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links