Help ID this Win 30-30 please - Page 2

Help ID this Win 30-30 please

This is a discussion on Help ID this Win 30-30 please within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This was my grandpa's Model 53, 44-40. He bought it in 1918. He was a registered guide in Maine. He gave it to my dad. ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Distinguished Member
    This was my grandpa's Model 53, 44-40. He bought it in 1918. He was a registered guide in Maine. He gave it to my dad. My dad's memories are of freezing to death in Northern Maine hunting deer - not for fun but for food. That was the early thirties, during The Depression. My dad's 95 now. He gave it to me ten years ago and I have to make up my mind which son to give it to!

ps. It's still dead on. It's a short barreled 44 that they called a "brush gun".
    Attached Images
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

Ugh, Hi Dad can I have the 44-40, I will be the best son you ever had.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by raevan View Post
    Ugh, Hi Dad can I have the 44-40, I will be the best son you ever had.
    Stand in line, son. Stand in line.
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

I have one just like yours made in 1936 and no scope for it. I call it my "politcally correct" assault rifle.

Not far wrong there. during the Civil War the Henry repeater was the Assault rifle of the time. It was known as the gun that would shoot forever. The Military Brass refused to excxept it for overall use because they said the troops would waste ammo, You know, the offen repeated myth of spray and pray. They said the same thing every time someone came up with a repeater.
    In the Cicil War there were only a few individual troops that had them.

OK! I won't scope it.

Point taken guys! I'll leave the Thuddy-Thuddy as-is, and try to shoot it more often. Well, I might put a recoil pad on it - steel butt-plates and my shoulder don't get along so well.

Thanks for all the info

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

OD*
    According to The Winchester Book, your carbine was made in 1936, which makes sense. Your Winchester has a carbine buttstock which they stopped using on the 94 several years before 1940, that or someone changed it, which is also possible due to the non factory sling swivel.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Thru 1936 Carbine/Rifles were marked model 1894, after 1936 long barrel rifles were dropped from production. Carbines were then marked model 94. serial numbers for model 94 between 1101051 and 1142423 were manufactured in 1940. Carbines could be ordered with whatever type stock you wanted, it cost more for custom stocks.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by raevan View Post
    Thru 1936 Carbine/Rifles were marked model 1894, after 1936 long barrel rifles were dropped from production. Carbines were then marked model 94. serial numbers for model 94 between 1101051 and 1142423 were manufactured in 1940. Carbines could be ordered with whatever type stock you wanted, it cost more for custom stocks.
    The "18" was removed from the roller die used to mark the tangs on both the carbines and rifles in 1924 (approximitely serial 950,0000), that is when Winchester officially renamed them from the Model 1894 to the Model 94 (I have a 1927 Model 94 SRC). According to George Madis in his books on Winchesters, 1940 began at serial #1,197,212 with 41,372 being produced that year. The model known to Winchester collectors as the "transitional" (carbine buttstock, hooded front sight and rifle rear sight) began around 1936, the "shotgun" buttstock became standard at about that same time (near serial 1,100,000). Rifles became increasingly scarce by the mid 1920s (around serial 1,000,000) and were phased out around serial 1,085,000.

George Madis's "The Winchester Book."
    Robert C. Renneberg's "The Winchester Model 94:The First Hundred Years.

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Thanks for the referance book info, there are possible discrepancies in the different books written. See link.

GunBroker.com Message Forums - Winchester Model 1894 facts (updated 8/7/08)

I now have to buy more books, If Madis is correct my rifles are older and worth more then I thought. Thanks again, research never stops, thats what makes collecting interesting.

More on this subject in the future.

OD*
    You're welcome Sir. The only one true thing I know about Colt's and Winchesters is, never say never.
    Neither company ever threw usable parts away, so you may find them with many oddities.

If I had to bet (and the gun is as it appears in the pictures) the OP has a semi-rare transitional model, it's serial number falls in that rather narrow band of numbers.

I highly recommend Renneberg's book on the 1894/94s, it is the best on that particular model I have read. I think one of the reasons is, unlike others who "survey" the guns they research, Renneberg owns/owned 99% of the Winchesters in his book.

What Winchesters do you have?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links