The Right Grip VS The Wrong Grip (two vids)

This is a discussion on The Right Grip VS The Wrong Grip (two vids) within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Two different grips with a M&P .40 Ty shooting his M&P .40 Notice both index fingers... Loyd shooting his M&P .40 Notice right thumb. Is ...

Thread: The Right Grip VS The Wrong Grip (two vids)

The Right Grip VS The Wrong Grip (two vids)

Two different grips with a M&P .40

Ty shooting his M&P .40 Notice both index fingers...

Loyd shooting his M&P .40 Notice right thumb. Is that a thumb rest?

I know the first guy is an idiot... But the second vid has me wondering if thats an aftermarket thumb rest. If so wouldn't that help with muzzle flip and help keep the thumb position more consistent?
    “Put your pain in a box. Lock it down. No man is stronger than one who can harness his emotions.” -Act of Valor

2. Remove Ads

some strange grip styles, but ultimately whatever method they are most accurate with is a good grip
    "An armed society is a polite society" - Robert A. Heinlein

BAC
    The first dude's gonna get a boom he wasn't expecting if he doesn't learn a little trigger discipline. Otherwise, if that's his left index finger in the trigger guard... well, nobody starts off knowing. I sure didn't.

I can't figure out what the second guy is doing with this right thumb. Is he pressing the tip against the "knuckle" of his left thumb? My grip is more thumb-over-thumb, but his right thumb is doing something funky. His left index finger also seems to stretch out there quite a bit, but that could just be my perception too.

I don't know if a thumb rest would keep muzzle flip down; it'd be putting more downward pressure on the rear of the pistol, not on the front.

-B

B52
    Strange indeed...too each his own.

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    I don't know if a thumb rest would keep muzzle flip down; it'd be putting more downward pressure on the rear of the pistol, not on the front.
    I'm thinking with the thumbrest it would give you a higher grip like the 1911 shooters that rest there thumb on the safety. Higher grip less flip right?
    “Put your pain in a box. Lock it down. No man is stronger than one who can harness his emotions.” -Act of Valor

How to With Todd Jarrett | SplodeTV.com

This is the way I do it...
    Read my story.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ed-1994-a.html

Pictures in page 5 & 6

VIP Member
    First guy probably has something wrong with his rt index finger
    and has to use his left one.
    <
    Second video the guy wraps his left hand around in front of the trigger guard and pulls back to steady the gun.

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
    I'm thinking with the thumbrest it would give you a higher grip like the 1911 shooters that rest there thumb on the safety. Higher grip less flip right?
    I'm not sure about that. My 1911A1 (the pistol I carry and train with) is hard to get too high a grip with; the arched mainspring housing and grip safety keep my hands in basically the same place, so my thumb can't rest on the thumb safety. Honestly, though, I've never seen anyone else's thumb rest on the safety, even with the beavertail grip safeties that allow a higher grip. The more experienced 1911 guys would be better at answering that than me. The video TRICKORMATE posted shows Mr. Jarrett's grip is also absent a thumb-on-safety component.

The higher grip lowers the bore axis in your hand. It doesn't (to my knowledge) put downward force on the rear of the pistol, just lowers the existing recoil in the hand. A "shelf" for the shooting hand's thumb would create a pivot point for the recoil to focus on - it can't go back as much, but now you've given it a way to go up, meaning increased muzzle flip.

Quote Originally Posted by nn View Post
    Second video the guy wraps his left hand around in front of the trigger guard and pulls back to steady the gun.
    Really? His left hand looks like it's just below the trigger guard to me.

-B

The first guy must have a hell of a heavy trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by tflhndn View Post
    The first guy must have a hell of a heavy trigger.
    Trigger fingers, It looked like he used both. Weird

They both need to keep finger or fingers off the trigger, 2nd guy might shoot himself in leg reholstering.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by PatrioticRick View Post
    2nd guy might shoot himself in leg reholstering.
    Can't really see his finger from the video angle...

Here is his youtube bio:
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Prock
    Tactical Firearms Instructor, 10x Gunsite Graduate, NRA Firearms Instructor, Federal Contract Security Firearms Instructor. Normal guy...making a living, trying to have some fun along the way

VIP Member
    No, we can't see the second guy's trigger finger once it passes below the frame... And while the strong-hand thumb is a little odd, it's basically a thumbs forward grip. He seems pretty comfortable with it. I did notice that he flubbed his reload about half-way through the vid; it looks like he might have gone for the slide lock lever and missed, then went back and pulled the slide to the rear manually; either that or he expected the force of slamming home the new mag to cause the slide to release on its own...

As for the first guy - I certainly HOPE he has something wrong with his right index finger...and if he does, why doesn't he get it the hell out of the trigger guard?
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

i like to shoot like lloyd there. not all guns allow you to do so. glocks are great for that technique, on HK's it doesnt work so well.

Links