TX: Civilian jailer arrested on gun violation

This is a discussion on TX: Civilian jailer arrested on gun violation within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Civilian jailer arrested on gun violation Civilian jailer arrested on gun violation FROM STAFF REPORTS Tuesday, September 16, 2008 A former civilian jailer with the ...

Civilian jailer arrested on gun violation

Civilian jailer arrested on gun violation

FROM STAFF REPORTS

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

A former civilian jailer with the Gregg County Sheriff's Office charged with unlawfully carrying a weapon Saturday at the Gregg County Fairgrounds said his supervisor told him he could bring the weapon.

Bryan Anthony Fusilier, 22, of Ore City was onduty at the time of his arrest with other deputies overseeing a crew of inmate trusties who were involved in the care of displaced animals from the Texas Gulf Coast, sheriff's Lt. Mike Claxton said.

A deputy who was working the same project as Fusilier noticed him wearing a duty-type holster with the handgun and took the appropriate action.

"Fusilier is not a licensed peace officer nor does he have a concealed Texas handgun license, therefore he is prohibited from carrying a handgun,"Sheriff Maxey Cerliano said.

Under certain circumstances civilian licensed armed county jailers have the authority to carry a handgun, but Fusilier did not have that authority, Cerliano said.

Cerliano said Fusilier made a poor decision and a bad choice.

"When employees violate state law and policy, that person will find themselves facing criminal charges and disciplinary action", Cerliano added.

Fusilier said he did have the firearm with him at the fairgrounds.

He said he was told by a shift supervisor that wearing the weapon would be fine, but he did not want to elaborate.

"It's really complicated," Fusilier said.

He said he is looking for a new job, but he thought any career in law enforcement was now ruined.

Cerliano said Fusilier was detained and arrested by a supervisor because he was violating the law.

He declined to go into details because he said the issue is an active criminal investigation.

"I'm sure the truth will be determined in court," Cerliano said.

Fusilier was hired by the sheriff's office May 8.

He had a temporary state jailer's license and was assigned to the North Jail facility.

Fusilier was fired from the sheriff's office after his arrest.
    Mr. President: They didn't die for open borders.

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you are reading it in English, thank a soldier.

This is one of those cases where if you rely on somebody elses information you could end up facing charges,that's why it's important to know the carry laws where you live
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

had to look it up - I though open carry was fine in Texas like Virginia and only needed a permit to conceil. Learned something new.
    "An armed society is a polite society" - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by kohburn View Post
    had to look it up - I though open carry was fine in Texas like Virginia and only needed a permit to conceil. Learned something new.
    Nope, we have to CCW pistols. But I can freely walk down the road with a rifle slung on my back, not real wise but legal none the less.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

theres also laws dealing with security guards,IIRC armed security cannot carry concealed it has to be open carry
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    theres also laws dealing with security guards,IIRC armed security cannot carry concealed it has to be open carry
    Not to mention they have to be a certified Level 3 SG, if my memory serves me correctly.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    Not to mention they have to be a certified Level 3 SG, if my memory serves me correctly.
    Yes they have to be certified to carry a handgun

Links