• Remington 1100

Votes: 15 15.6%
  • Saiga 12 Guage

Votes: 11 11.5%
  • Custom AR-15

Votes: 44 45.8%
  • Other! (Please comment)

Votes: 12 12.5%

Help me pick a Rifle/Shotgun for myself...

4K views 36 replies 28 participants last post by  Foo909 
#1 ·
As a late birthday present and I need a little help on the decision. I've parted ways with my XD and am wanting a rifle/shotgun badly! Really looking under the $900 mark.

I'm currently gun less but picking up a new S&W442 soon for a full time CC firearm. Questions and comments highly appreciated on this purchase. Here's what I'm currently most interested in:

Remington 700 SPS DM: .300 Winchester Magnum, 26" Barrel, Detachable magazine with 3 round capacity.
MSRP: $649

Remington 1100 TAC 2: 12 Gauge 2 /34" Shells, 18" Barrel, 7 round capacity.
MSRP: $839

Russian American Armory Saiga 12 Gauge: 3" Magnum or 2 3/4" shell capable, would purchase 10 round magazines. 19" barrel
Actual Price: $600

DPMS/Double Star AR-15: I know a guy at the factory and it could be custom built to my specs.. short barrel, collapsible stock, flat-top, no front post, .223, 30 round capacity: $700-$800.

Or other, remember I could use the input!

See less See more
#4 ·
Rem 700 .300WM- Can't beat a good 700! That caliber is good for large game at distance. (Will be a little punishing to shoot.) Also plan on spending the same amount (or more) on a GOOD scope!

Remington 1100- Another great gun from Remington. Good magazine capacity. Good defense shottie.(Low recoil, gas operation.)

Saiga 12- Good combat shottie, removable mag for easy reloads.

AR15- Good defense weapon. 5.56/.223 pretty cheap to shoot. High fun factor!

(You really need one of each!:image035:)

#5 ·
I would go with the Saiga or AR because both can be outlawed if another Assualt Weapons ban is passed

#6 ·
Well since they are all black, I would say none of them, since I don't like black when it comes to rifles and shotguns. Of course that doesn't help you any.

But seriously, what are you going to use it for, or what is the purpose of the purchase. Is this going to be for defensive purposes, or is it going to simply be another gun in the collection.

If it is for defensive purpose go with a shotgun. You say your currently gunless, I would suggest getting yourself another carry pistol and shotgun. With the right combination you can get both of those for under 900 bucks.

For pratical purposes, you won't be shooting the 300 very often even if you do hunt. The shotguns are, well they are shotguns, you can go to the range or wherever and put a bunch of pellets into something but after a couple of magazines your pretty much done. The AR you can actually shoot and shoot repeatedly looking for accuracy, follow up shots, making cans jump, or whatever. You would probably get more usage out of the AR platform.

As others have asked, what are you wanting the gun for? That answer will help out greatly.

#7 ·
IMHO - as others have said, it all depends on your intentions. Each one on your list has a place in your collection. If you are looking for something that offers the most versatility, the list gets narrowed.

The .300 isn't practical. It's a great rifle, but ammo is NOT in every Wal-Mart and if SHTF, you'd be wise to seek a more common round (.308, .30-06, .270) - if you go that route.

Nothing wrong with the shotty. Every home should have at least one! I personally wouldn't go with the 1100. I'd look at the 870 or a Mossberg. The price difference will buy a boatload of ammo!

The AR makes the most sense. You could hunt small to medium-sized game if you had to without destroying too much meat. It's a good defensive weapon for short to mid-range threats and it has a higher capacity than anything else on your list.

In an ideal world, get a pistol (already covered), a shotgun and an AR. (I'm good at helping other people spend their money!). Whatever your final decision is, be sure to get as much ammo as your budget allows.

#8 ·
Well, your collection is nonexistant, so after a CC gun, I'd go with an AR. You will get a lot more use out of that then anything else on your list, and the clock may be ticking on the ability to purchase one.

#10 ·
Thanks so far, it seems you all have different opinions as well. I've shot all of these but Saiga.

The intended role would be mostly range time with a side of defense. I may also try and take a deer or two this year.

It's not a problem locating .300 Win Mag around here at all and I do enjoy the recoil from it in some weird way :yup:. Of course I would be spending another $300 for a scope also include a bi-pod.

The 1100 is very refined (sorry I'm not buying a pump shotgun) but it can't take 3" magnum shells and can't hold more then 7 rounds.

The Saiga beats the 1100 but I'm extremely worried about build quality and it's reliability.

The AR is cheap to shoot, albeit I don't like a 5.56mm for very defensive purposes, but my god everyone I know here has one!

I'd be very interested in an AK variant but then the argument goes back to build quality and reliability, I don't want to buy a rifle then have to go back through it and rebuild it to make it reliable and accurate.

And farronwolf I'm partial to green myself but they cost more for each, if I do go AR I will get them to put something on there OTHER then black.

#33 ·
Thanks so far, it seems you all have different opinions as well. I've shot all of these but Saiga.

The intended role would be mostly range time with a side of defense. I may also try and take a deer or two this year.
My vote would be the .12 ga. With a rifled barrell you can purchase, and shoot a wide varity of sabot slugs out to 150 yds. (range). Slap a scope on it! You could put on the short barrell for home defense, or a longer smoth bore barrell for hunting squirrel, ducks, deer, or any other game you might choose. The .12 ga. is probably, IMHO, the best do it all gun around. It's only short comming is in it's concealibility!

Y'all be safe now, ya hear!

#13 ·
AR-10 plus Hornady 308 Win 110 GR TAP. :image035:

-B

#14 ·
Ok, I guess now the descision is harder to some extent, but there really is only one choice with the following.

I don't know any one gun that will fill all of these needs and do it well.

A shotgun isn't going to be that good for range time, will work for self defense with the right load and can be used for hunting depending on what the area you are hunting in will be like.

A rifle in larger caliber might be ok for range time, although pretty expensive to shoot, will be good for deer hunting but, IMO is not right for home defense unless you don't have any neighbors, and it was a last resort. They could go through an intruder at close range and still travel a mile.

The .223 will do the range time, and home defense (better than a .30 Caliber, or should I say safer), and will take a deer with the right ammo and a good shot. You will have to check with your state though, some don't allow deer hunting with that small a caliber.

So I guess for those critia if your state allows a .223 for deer then that would be my choice.

#18 ·
Well, I voted for the Remington 1100 since I'm currently looking for shotguns myself. That AR-15 seems like a real good price though.

#19 ·
Ordinarily I would suggest the shotgun. For basic gefense, it's hard to beat, and between the Remington 700 and the Saiga, I would leave it to personal choice.
And, if you think that you can come up with the money anything in the next year, then I would still go with the shotgun. However, if it would be longer than a year, then I would go with the AR. The reason is that while Obama would try to get a ban passed, it will take at least a year, if not longer to get it through both houses of Congress, and then the court challenges. I think that the price on ARs, and most guns, will go up the day after the election if he wins, along with ammo.

#23 ·
I'm with Sixto; the versatility of the shotgun makes it a must-have. It'll take care of any "problem" you're likely to run into, and will drop most north American game easily if the operator is competent.

Personally, I'd get the Saiga just because A) they're awesome and B) you might not be able to get one by this time next year.

Mossberg 590 / Remington 870 would be a close second choice.

Just my two cents.

Peace,
Pete Zaria.

#24 ·
Go with an 870, with the money saved buy a 22 rifle. What still have money left!! Buy a few bricks of 22 and go have fun. Now Im betting you will still have a few bucks left. Get a scope for the 22 or save it for a rainey day I need to get a new gun fund.

#25 ·
I've pretty much decided on an AR and features I would like, now just to get a price structure going.

I have no worldly idea why anyone would buy an 870 OVER an 1100 especially for home defense other then for cost difference, which isn't a huge. Semi-automatic will always get my nod over a pump action.

#26 ·
Foo, there are a few reasons to have a pump over a semi-auto shotgun. Speed isnt that much different, pumps are generally more reliable, IMHO. Others will probably be able to give more reasons.

#27 ·
I pity the "Foo" (get it!?) who doesn't think a 5.56 with anything other than ball ammo is a good choice for defense.

The .300 will beat you to death as a range toy, shooting a "couple deer" wouldn't justify it for me. I've killed a lot of deer and don't own a magnum rifle.

Remington shotguns made today don't do a lot for me. Quality is not what it used to be.

Saigas are cool, so it would be my #2 choice.

I would DEFINITELY go with an AR.

#29 · (Edited)
I voted other based on what the weapon will be used for and other conditions.......home defense? SHTF defense? urban or rural house?

IMO since you don't have a "collection", do what I did....I got my Mossy500 for home defense first, then got a handgun, then began "collecting", including my AK for SHTF situations

strictly home defense=shotgun
SHTF weapon=AR

if I was in your shoes, with $900
1) Mossy 500 Persuader 7+1 $230
2) get the S&W 442 that you're wanting for CCW
that way you've got $$$ for ammo/holster/accessories/etc

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.