Need a new .22 rifle - Mossberg?

This is a discussion on Need a new .22 rifle - Mossberg? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My old Stevens bolt-action single-shot .22 plinker has more or less died; the firing pin doesn't hit the rimfire primers hard enough to ignite them ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need a new .22 rifle - Mossberg?

Need a new .22 rifle - Mossberg?

My old Stevens bolt-action single-shot .22 plinker has more or less died; the firing pin doesn't hit the rimfire primers hard enough to ignite them 2 times out of 3, and I can't find any parts for this old gun.

I'm looking for a new .22LR rifle, preferably semi-auto but I wouldn't mind a bolt. Budget is about $200-250. I already have a nice scope to put on it (3-9x, 40mm), so a scope rail is required.

Before I went straight to the one-size-fits-all Ruger 10/22, I decided to do some research....

Anyone had a Mossberg model 37150?

It looks like a 10/22 clone to me, and $165 delivered wouldn't hurt my balance sheet much at all. Anyone had one?

Thanks so much for the info, guys. I love this forum

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    I don't know anything about the Mossberg, but if you want a really classy .22, try to find a T/C Classic. I love mine, and it is far better built than any other .22 in that price range.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Sixto,
    Thanks for the quick reply!
    I've shot a T/C or two before and enjoy them a lot... but I just checked GunBroker, AuctionArms, and Google Shopping, and couldn't find a T/C .22 rifle for under $400 new - cheapest I found used was just over $300.

I'm really just looking for a plinker - my .22's see occasional use for pest control, but mostly just target shooting and plinking. That's why a 10/22 type semi-auto .22LR is so appealing, and the Mossberg looks perfect if it has a scope rail and is reliable-ish.

So, anyone had a Mossberg .22LR semi-auto rifle, or any other ideas for me?

Thanks again!

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

OK, I think I've decided to just go with the Ruger 10/22 - it has a better reputation and a HUGE aftermarket of parts (hi-cap magazines, stocks, barrels, etc...) that the Mossberg doesn't. Probably should have googled "mossberg 22 reviews" before posting - this thread can be deleted now, sorry.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    - Margaret Mead

Administrator
    I didnt know the T/C's were that much... anyway the 10/22 is hard to beat. You can make them into whatever you want.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Have you looked at Numrich for parts for your Stevens?

I would go with the Ruger 10/22. Personally the stainless with walnut stock, since I have one.

Honestly, the 10/22 is well ballanced, comes with nice sights, and like stated already, there are tons of options, although mine is still stock because it shoots just fine right out of the box.

I prefer a pump .22 for just plain old plinking, but I don't think your going to find one in your price range, especially if your going to want to customize it, that will match up to the 10/22.

If you want to stay low on the budget, there is always the Marlin model 60. You can get them anywhere. I have had one for 26 years or so now and still enjoy shooting it.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Numrich

+1 on looking at Numrich, but if you want a good but inexpensive bolt action, look at the Winchester Wildcat. Comes with 4 or 5 magazines, scope rail, and light or heavy barrel as options. If you do decide on an semi, 10-22 hands down.
    Winchester Rifles & Shotguns --- Wildcat 22 Line

If you just want a plinker hit the gun shows and look for a romanian trainer. Run you less than a hundred bucks and for a commy block weapon its an accurate rifle.
    Also there are a lot of norinco clones you can find used at gun shows (nope no new ones not allowed, thx bill) I got a jw15 which is a bruno #1 clone for 50 bucks and its a keeper.
    Check out rimfirecentral.com as Im sure they can steer you to a deal or two.
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

Thumbs up Mossy .22 Plinkster

Hello All,

I have a Mossy 702 Plinkster with the Space-agemicrosphericcyclic

plastic furniture. Super Light, really tuff, pretty accurate and just plain

fun to shoot. It came from Wally-World complete w/4xscope for

about near next to nuthin'($147.88). I've fed it just about everything

from crap to stingers and it has never skipped a beat.

I'm almost ashamed to admit how much I like it. Can't beat the

price to fun ratio.

Safety First....Keep your groups tight,

mM

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Zaria View Post
    My old Stevens bolt-action single-shot .22 plinker has more or less died; the firing pin doesn't hit the rimfire primers hard enough to ignite them 2 times out of 3, and I can't find any parts for this old gun.

I'm looking for a new .22LR rifle, preferably semi-auto but I wouldn't mind a bolt. Budget is about $200-250. I already have a nice scope to put on it (3-9x, 40mm), so a scope rail is required.

Before I went straight to the one-size-fits-all Ruger 10/22, I decided to do some research....

Anyone had a Mossberg model 37150?

It looks like a 10/22 clone to me, and $165 delivered wouldn't hurt my balance sheet much at all. Anyone had one?

Thanks so much for the info, guys. I love this forum

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    If you want to get rid of that .22 Stevens rifle I would love to have it. Let me know if you are willing to sell it.

However, I also ran into a problem finding parts for an old Marlin 80E from the 1940's era. Here is a link to the place I purchased from. They may have what you are looking for to fix that old gun.
    Gun Parts - Savage Rifle
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    If you want to get rid of that .22 Stevens rifle I would love to have it. Let me know if you are willing to sell it.

However, I also ran into a problem finding parts for an old Marlin 80E from the 1940's era. Here is a link to the place I purchased from. They may have what you are looking for to fix that old gun.
    Gun Parts - Savage Rifle

If Tally backs out, I'm #2

surv

When storeing a 22 bolt squeez trigger while you let bolt down it won't be cocked IMO

10/22

I have a 10/22, and I don't even like Rugers. It's like the brick in your garage, it's cheap, handy, and always works. Oops, the car won't stay in the drive, get the brick, the door won't stay open... the tablecloth is blowing...

Thanks & Sure I'll sell the Stevens

Thanks, as always, for all the info, everyone.

I've decided to do a 10/22 build with the 3x-9x 40mm scope I have, and probably a Butler Creek folding stock but I'm not set on that yet.

I'd *love* to sell the Stevens to fund the 10/22 project.

I'll be 100% honest with you guys: it's having a problem with light primer strikes, and the stock cracked a few years ago (I glued and clamped it back together). Here's a few pics:

If anyone is actually interested in it, PM me - I'll accept any serious offers. I've never sold a gun via the Internet before but I have a good friend with an FFL that would ship it for me I'm sure.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    - Margaret Mead

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links