Cleaning question.

This is a discussion on Cleaning question. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have heard different things, but as far as cleaning how often should i be doing it? I tore the gun down after the first ...

Thread: Cleaning question.

Cleaning question.

I have heard different things, but as far as cleaning how often should i be doing it? I tore the gun down after the first day i shot it just to see where and how everything went.

the cleaning guide i plan to use is this:
    http://www.wikihow.com/Maintain-a-Pistol-(Handgun)

Should i be cleaning every time i shoot? and if so is that guide good to go by?

2. Remove Ads

That article seems pretty standard. Of course they used a Glock illustration to further simplify matters. You'll pick up some shortcuts or tips on your own once you've been cleaning your pistol for a while. Whether or not you clean it after every shoot is mainly up to you....I would at least clean the barrel and lube the points and slide rails. I do clean mine after every range session, and sometimes that may be up to 24 hours afterwards. From cleaning pistols for the past 15 or so years, I've made my own habits and they are sound ones----it also keeps me in a way from looking at rather hard-lined ways or step-by-step instruction objectively. I still brush once through the barrel for every ten shots fired, cleaning the brush every two times through. Like Hoppe's #9 for the bore with CLP final, and two dry patches. I generally shoot at least 100 rounds through my pistols in an outing. Sometimes only 50 but still clean my Glocks. You'll make out okay and develop your own routine.

Ok thanks, as far as the lube im sure i can find a youtube video of proper application, im assuming it just runs on the inside seam of the slide?

as far as for the barrel, just run the brush that came with it through until the brush comes out clean? I used to guntech for buddies of mine for paintball, so the taurus didnt look too difficult, any reccomendations on the best lube?

I try to clean my guns after each trip to the range. Not only is it good for the firearm, it always feels good the next time you go back to the range with a clean gun. My 2.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Links