Photographing and recording serial #'s

This is a discussion on Photographing and recording serial #'s within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Does anyone else do this? I thought it might be a good idea to photo and record the numbers each gun in case of theft, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Photographing and recording serial #'s

Photographing and recording serial #'s

Does anyone else do this? I thought it might be a good idea to photo and record the numbers each gun in case of theft, insurance purposes, etc. I know it might not be a "huge" amount of $ invested, but it's alot to me...don't even mention it to my wife , I just told her, "Hey, I could be trying to start a car collection!" Anyhoos, here's a group photo. Top to bottom, left to right: Browning Buckmark .22, Ruger LCP .380, Ruger P90 .45ACP, Taurus Ultralite .38Spl., Colt King Cobra .357, and last and least, Jennings "BRYCO 38" .380 (Bought it for $50 with 100 rds. and two mags...I couldn't pass it up.)
    Attached Images

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by ofdesp View Post
    Does anyone else do this? I thought it might be a good idea to photo and record the numbers each gun in case of theft, insurance purposes, etc. I know it might not be a "huge" amount of $ invested, but it's alot to me...don't even mention it to my wife , I just told her, "Hey, I could be trying to start a car collection!" Anyhoos, here's a group photo. Top to bottom, left to right: Browning Buckmark .22, Ruger LCP .380, Ruger P90 .45ACP, Taurus Ultralite .38Spl., Colt King Cobra .357, and last and least, Jennings "BRYCO 38" .380 (Bought it for $50 with 100 rds. and two mags...I couldn't pass it up.)
    I have all my serial numbers written down in case of theft and have photographed all of them in case of fire. So yes I do the same!

Me too. It's a good idea to keep a copy of everything somewhere else besides home...safe deposit box, relative's home, etc.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

I do the same. Smart.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Better than that, should walk around the house and take pictures of everything in everyroom for insurance purposes. How could you prove what you owed in case of fire,flood, huracaine. Of course keep the photos or cards or thumb drive someplace else.

Have all ready done that, yes a good ideal.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

I do record the serial numbers, makes and models. I've never taken pics specifically for this purpose, but I think I have pics of most of them already. Good idea though.

I've been keeping a record of make, model, serial, when/where aquired for a couple years but need to take good pictures. Preferably a few of each, a pulled back shot, close up, and a shot of the serial # while you can still make out the gun. That's the plan for a future sunny day.

I normally email the spreadsheet to a seperate email address, that way I can access it from anywhere with the internet.

I should probably start taking pics of my "stuff" too, wouldnt hurt if I ever wanted to collect on that insurance that I pay for.

Right now if my wallet was stolen I couldn't tell you what was in it. I think i'll also take some notes.

It is also a good Ides to keep all paper work you recieve when buying a firearm,
    In New Orleans when people were trying to get their confiscated firearms back they were asking people to show proof of purchase.

Yes, I do that, and keep the info in a small fireproof safe. It's a very good idea!
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    I keep an electronic copy of my ledger with several pieces of information about my weapons.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by raevan View Post
    It is also a good Ides to keep all paper work you recieve when buying a firearm,
    In New Orleans when people were trying to get their confiscated firearms back they were asking people to show proof of purchase.
    +1!
    I've kept the receipt, awa the owners manual and factory box if they were available, of every gun I've bought since the 1970's, and that number is close to 100 now. Aside from helping prove ownership if it should ever become necessary, having some or all the above helped GREATLY (as well as increased the price) when I decided to sell or trade those few guns I've disposed of over the years.

Also, my home was robbed back in the early 90's and several handguns, a shotgun and rifle were taken. Of the half-dozen firearms that were taken, 4 of the 6 were later recovered and returned (it took 5 years for one pistol and a revolver to be found, but they eventually were and I still have them today) and it was because I was able to provide the police with the make, model and serial numbers of the firearms when the guns were first taken.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

Pictures

I have a picture of each gun in my collection. I added the serial number and a brief description to the picture and saved it to multiple Cds, as well as a thumb drive. The notes I used when I took the pictures (to keep track of all the guns in some order) are also stored somewhere safe. I have heard suggestions to store pics online like at Photobucket, as well as out of state with a relative or something. Some folks keep track of where the gun was bought and the price. My wife might start adding up, so I don't keep track of that. It's cheap and easy to add or delete new ones or ones traded in or sold. Remember Katrina and the N.O. confiscations. You should be able to retrieve records no matter what disaster you run into.

I deleted the serial number and info, (not that I don't trust the internet) but this is a typical pic. My Stag lefty. I thought about just writing all the info on a notecard and putting it in the picture. Might be easier.

I do it too. But, realize alot of homeowners policy have LOW limits on some items , such as guns. They will pay only a maximum of XXX $. Here the limit is about $2000. You can get added coverage.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links