Gunzilla

This is a discussion on Gunzilla within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've been using it on all of my handguns and long guns for about a year and I love it. The more I use it, ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gunzilla

I've been using it on all of my handguns and long guns for about a year and I love it. The more I use it, the more I love it. Subsequent cleanings are incrementally easier and better. I also use a tad for lubrication after cleaning is done. I've also noticed it repels lint and dust, especially on my 442 when pocket carried. That is an important feature to me. If you try it, I assure you that you will really like it. Especially on your second, third, fourth, etc. cleanings. You'll notice how much easier it gets.

My stainless steel SP101 used to be VERY difficult to remove the black from around the forcing cone and the front of the cylinder. Not difficult any more.

I've also cut my cleaning time in half, and I don't get crap from the wife about the smell. It doesnt' irritate skin or hurt any surfaces. By far my favorite product.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

2. Remove Ads

I ordered some a few weeks ago and I am happy with it. Next time I will re-order the largest bottle I can get my hands on. While I agree it's a good cleaner I like the fact that it's not toxic the most.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

I use it on all my guns. I use Gunzilla with a quick Bore snake cleaning on my rifles at the range. I always run Gunzilla with a bore snake for a quick barrel cleanup before I head home.

After a range day with my brother in law, we cleaned up the rifles later that evening. He didn't like the one step idea, but tried Gunzilla out anyway, whining & complaining I might add.. The next day he ordered his own bottle of Gunzilla.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Let's be up front about gun cleaning/lubing. All firearms have simple needs: to be clean and lubed. Firearms don't read fancy magazine ads. They don't search the forums for the latest and greatest super-bonding miracle lube. They don't watch hi-def videos on one product's superiority over another's brand. Firearms don't really care if they're dunked in mineral sprits and hosed down with transmission fluid as long as their simple needs are met--clean and lubed!

We shooters, on the other hand, do read the ads, ask questions on forums, and stare goggle-eyed at the videos. WE are impressed by the high-priced marketing.

I've used and cleaned guns for near fifty years now, using everything from said mineral spirits to Mobile One, all name brand "gun" products, marine wheel bearing grease, dry-lubes, et cetera. What I've discovered is . . . they all work as well as the next. One may take an extra stoke of elbow grease, the next may require a respirator and posting the house as environmentally unsafe, and some may require more frequent applications. I even broke out some firearms stored in gun cases for over 20 years--the only "protection" being a 20-yr-old wipe down with Outers oil--and they had nary a spec of rust!

As for Gunzilla? It is odor free (you can put away the respirator and let the kids back into the house), and it does clean well. But better than anything and everything else?

And it costs more. I do know that much. I'm still working on that gallon can of mineral spirits and $6.00 bottle of Mobil One that will last forever.

So use whatever you like to clean and maintain youre firearms. Just remember: it's what you like. Ask your firearms and see what they say about it. I bet they really don't give an opinion either way.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    "I've also noticed it repels lint and dust,"

It's not so much a matter of "repelling" dust and lint (it's not like it's "anti-magnetic") but more a case of not adhering like oils and greases can.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

For me it causes me a lot more work. I was taught to clean the bore until patches come out clean. With Gunzilla, I spray the barrel and let it sit while doing the slide and frame, then run a patch through which comes out gunky. I spray and scrub with a bore brush and another gunky patch. Push a very wet patch through and it's gunky. Then a dry patch and it is smeared but not too bad. I shine a light and it looks perfect until I run a clean but wet patch through and it's dirty. Repeat the above a few times and finally patches come out clean. Using other stuff patches come out clean early on, but run a wet Gunzilla patch and pick up where you left off.

I tell myself after a few passes it's good enough, but good enough isn't. I can't help but wonder if Gunzilla has a chemical reaction with the clean barrel to turn the patch black. How else could a clean bore produce such a dirty patch with Gunzilla?

"my wife doesn't like the smell of Hoppe's"

Egad! What a wonderful ambrosia!!!! I even use Hoppes as an after-shave.
    'Course I haven't had a date in three years, but still....

Quote Originally Posted by Zsnake View Post
    "my wife doesn't like the smell of Hoppe's"

Egad! What a wonderful ambrosia!!!! I even use Hoppes as an after-shave.
    'Course I haven't had a date in three years, but still....
    Yea, my wife has never figured out why her toothbrush smelled like Hoppes 9 after I cleaned my guns; with Gunzilla, she doesn't have a clue!
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

This entire post reminds me of the is an old cliche about contempt prior to investigation

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    We shooters, on the other hand, do read the ads, ask questions on forums, and stare goggle-eyed at the videos. WE are impressed by the high-priced marketing
    That may be true for you. Whether you are or not gullible or a sucker for slick ads has very little do with whether or not someone is a shooter. Having been in marketing and advertised I know better than to spend my money based on the advertising.
    I however am willing to listen to other shooters experience when I think that individual is credible. Which is why I come to this forum. If the members here are all morons driven by hype and slick marketing why waste time reading what they have to say?

What I've discovered is . . . they all work as well as the next. One may take an extra stoke of elbow grease, the next may require a respirator and posting the house as environmentally unsafe, and some may require more frequent applications.
    If how well it cleans or does not clean, how difficult or easy a product is to use, how toxic a product is or isn't, how effectively or ineffective it protects and lubricates is not relevant than the other you are right.

I am however of the opinion if a product is
    easier to use
    cleans better
    lubricates better
    reduces wear on my gun
    reduces friction and heat making my gun operate smoother and more reliably
    resists rust better
    attracts less dust lint carbon and other crude
    makes my gun easier to clean every time I shoot
    is non toxic
    environmentally safe
    Than it is a better product than those that do not do all those things as well

But better than anything and everything else?
    There you go hit the nail on the head. That is the conclusion of everyone who has ever actually investigated it and used it have come to.

So use whatever you like to clean and maintain youre firearms. Just remember: it's what you like. Ask your firearms and see what they say about it. I bet they really don't give an opinion either way.
    I have asked my guns that very question and this is what they say. They run quieter smoother cooler more reliably and stay cleaner longer with Gunzilla than with any other product. Which works out great for me, because it id also the product that is easier and safer to use than any other. Cleaning lubricating and protecting all in one step saving me time and money.

"I've also noticed it repels lint and dust,"
    It's not so much a matter of "repelling" dust and lint (it's not like it's "anti-magnetic") but more a case of not adhering like oils and greases can.
    Actually it is non ionic which apparently means it does not attract dust, lint or carbon repels and keeps it from adhering

If you think Gunzilla does not live up to its claims. Prove it. Use some and than tell us how it did not work. That is exactly what some of Gunzillas greatest fans set out to do. Myself included
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    I find Hopps to be similar to Kroil I cleaned an ElcheapO pistol with it and it done a darn good job. Not sure I'll trust it to a $1K piece though. Just a though..
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

have not tried Gunzilla yet,but have tried almost everything else including---Hoppes #9,Weapons shield,Ballistol,Shooters Choice,M pro-7,Hoppes ellite,Mobil 1 etc..IMO, Mobil 1 works just as good as any speciality gun lube/oil i've used..my last range trip i brought 2 handguns,one lubed w/Ballistol the other lubed with Mobil 1,no failures of any kind from either pistol.infact the slide seemed to run xtra smooth with Mobil 1..as for one product that does it all,i do like Ballistol for a quick spray down and wipe clean,leaves a nice slippery film on the gun..i really have no desire spend any more money on miracle gun products such as Gunzilla even though it might be a great product..

Gunzilla converted me since this thread's inception. I'm now one of it's biggest fans. Been through a lot of Gunzilla threads here. I use the product exclusively now on everything. (Boy this is an old thread).

Has anyone else tried this stuff( Crusader Weaponry - Slipstream Weapons Lubricant) I think it works great, i can tell a difference in the way my gun performs.
    Retired (traveling and loving it!)
    Member NRA
    Served in U.S.A.F.(jet engine mechanic)
    Kel-Tec P3AT
    Don't Leave Home Without It!

I am sure gunzilla works well. I just happen to like ballistol better.

Try it and you will not use anything else. I've been using it for 3 yrs now and couldn't be happier.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links