Soon to be gun owner help Michigan

This is a discussion on Soon to be gun owner help Michigan within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well this won't be my 1st gun I have had a couple H&K and Glock 9mm but sold them because I thought my daughter was ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Soon to be gun owner help Michigan

Well this won't be my 1st gun I have had a couple H&K and Glock 9mm but sold them because I thought my daughter was to young to have them around plus not wanting to deal with the ex. I work in Security and plan to get my CCW I have been researching and the Taurus 24/7 pro 9mm looks like the way to go price and performance. wanted to get some other thoughts and also recommendation for Gun Shops in my area Metro Detroit area live near Target Sports. thanks

Howdy from Hazel Park.

I can't speak for that model Taurus, but I shot the millenium pro and the trigger was SO weird I thought the gun was actually broken. Even after I figured it out I absolutely hated it. Obviously some folks like it fine, since the company is stilll in business, but try hard to find a way to test fire it before buying.

As for gun shops I've never been real fond of Target Sports, and over time I've gone from indifferent to really not liking them. The guys at Double Action in Madison heights will take good care of you. Better selection and pricing on pretty much everything I've compared to boot. They are on Dequindre, just south of 14 mile on the West side of the street.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Welcome to the forum! I'll refrain from making any personal recommendations on your first thread. Stick around and many suggestions will be forthcoming. Thing to remember is.......what's going to work best for you. Budget-wise, and otherwise. Nobody here can rightfully down your decisions. What works best for you is pretty much all you need to know. Stick with it, and options will come over time as needed.

You mentioned owning some pistols before, did they work for you? The H&K is a pricey one, but a Glock can be had for a reasonable price.

Probably the best advice you can get is to find a range (or a friend) that has many demo/range guns and give them all a whirl.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

VIP Member
    As the others have said, pick what is right for you. If possible shoot what your interested in owning. As to the gun shops opinion. Take it with a grain of salt, they are in the business to make sales, they do not have your best interest in mind, they have profits in mind. They will try to sell you the highest priced gun they think they can get you to buy.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

If you already had one, why not go back to Glock?

It's always going to go bang...and in Detriot, that's very important!

Stay armed...stay out of Detroit...stay safe!

(Didn't the 'head' crook just leave?)
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

As others have said it's "the one that works for you". By always remember quality is a must ... after all you are betting your life and those of your family on it.
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

Welcome from sunny Arizona. Get what works for you.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Welcome from Marshall. I really couldn't help for ranges over there, but wanted to say welcome to the site.

Well me myself have owned 2 Taurus hand guns, 25cal and 9. I was cool with them because I was on a budget and something was better than nothing. I had problems with both of them jamming up although I didn't sacrifice on ammo. Then I discoverd Ruger and I fell in love. The relialibility can't be matched for the price in my opinion. I'm not a gun expert so this is just my experience.
    Why walk softly and carry a BIG stick when a BIG GUN is more efficient and you can walk however you want to?

Administrator
    If you have had Glock and HK in the past, the Taurus wont make you happy. Buds has a deal right now for factory refurbed G19 or 22 for $379. Thats a tough deal to beat.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by Labman View Post
    Well this won't be my 1st gun I have had a couple H&K and Glock 9mm but sold them because I thought my daughter was to young to have them around plus not wanting to deal with the ex. I work in Security and plan to get my CCW I have been researching and the Taurus 24/7 pro 9mm looks like the way to go price and performance. wanted to get some other thoughts and also recommendation for Gun Shops in my area Metro Detroit area live near Target Sports. thanks
    Hi, Labman. Good to meet you. My favorite LGS is Detroit Arms on 23 Mile Rd. in Chesterfield Twp. I also understand that MichiGun is good to work with although all that I've done there is a quick walk-through and hi how are you. Good luck with your search.
    ... whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one. (Luke 22:36b NASB)
    FN Herstal FNP-9, FNP-357, Kahr TP45
    Ruger LCP, S&W 22a
    http://revderb.blogspot.com

Also check out the Michigan Gun Owner's site. There's usually a good deal in the for sale section.

In fact there's a NIB G30SF there right now.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    If you already had one, why not go back to Glock?

It's always going to go bang...and in Detriot, that's very important!

Stay armed...stay out of Detroit...stay safe!

(Didn't the 'head' crook just leave?)
    He left. I agree with the rest.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Glock would be my choice. If any problems come up a Glock could be repaired at most gun shops. A Taurus would need to be sent back to the manufacturer, and that would take a lot of time.
    We the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful. We have done so much, with so little, for so long, we are now able to do anything with nothing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links