Front Sight Detaching!

Front Sight Detaching!

This is a discussion on Front Sight Detaching! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I just finished cleaning my Glock 23 and I noticed something falling off the slide as I was cleaning it. I didn't notice until I ...

Front Sight Detaching!

I just finished cleaning my Glock 23 and I noticed something falling off the slide as I was cleaning it. I didn't notice until I put the gun back together that a piece of thin steel on the bottom of the slide holding my front sight on had fallen off.

Now as soon as I rack the gun, this is what happens.

Do I need a gunsmith to remedy this or will a drop of glue (Super Glue?) take care of this?

Bitter and clinging to my guns and my religion.

Lead Moderator
    Attach it correctly. My buddy had his lose the front sight too. IRRC , Glock sent him a new one free of charge.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

You mean a gunsmith?
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Attach it correctly. My buddy had his lose the front sight too. IRRC , Glock sent him a new one free of charge.

Lead Moderator
    Not sure how they are attached. I assume the small plate locks the front sight in? I wouldn't think its all that hard to install . Guess you need to be the judge of that.
    Superglue will not hold up long term in any case.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

The front sight of a Glock pistol is held on with a threaded bushing from the inside of the slide with aftermarket sights. Of course this is plastic push-through for stock sights, and alloy for aftermarket or night sights. You'll need to have it re-staked. Your local gun shop should be able to do it for you, or your nearest Glock stocking dealer. I would highly recommend against using super glue to fix your problem. Then again.....it's your gun, do what you will. Plain and simple.

That's great advice.

This is a Glock 23 made in 93 and an Trijicon NS installed some time after that. Compared to the stock NS on my Gen 3 G26, it looks like it was "punched" on (I don't know how else to describe it).

Now to find someone to reinstall it while I wait.

Thanks all for the great advice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    The front sight of a Glock pistol is held on with a threaded bushing from the inside of the slide with aftermarket sights. Of course this is plastic push-through for stock sights, and alloy for aftermarket or night sights. You'll need to have it re-staked. Your local gun shop should be able to do it for you, or your nearest Glock stocking dealer. I would highly recommend against using super glue to fix your problem. Then again.....it's your gun, do what you will. Plain and simple.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckE View Post
    That's great advice.

This is a Glock 23 made in 93 and an Trijicon NS installed some time after that. Compared to the stock NS on my Gen 3 G26, it looks like it was "punched" on (I don't know how else to describe it).

Now to find someone to reinstall it while I wait.

Thanks all for the great advice.
    Your bushing from the underneath side of your slide is gone. If it's still there but loose, I believe a 11/32 socket/nut-driver might do it. It's teeny-tiny and has an almost non-existent profile. Stock plastic sights are split plastic below the slide...sort of expansion or plastic anchor set up. All aftermarket ones have a nut/threaded bushing to hold it on. Might call Glock, or more likely Trijicon for a free part you'll need. Your local armorer/gunsmith should have one though.

Send the Glock back for work....tell them to keep it....buy a SIG...[j/k]
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Administrator
    Any Glock dealer should be able to fix this in less than 5 minutes, its no big deal. If you were not half way across the country, I'd do it for you.
    "Just blame Sixto"

And I'd let you too. :)
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Any Glock dealer should be able to fix this in less than 5 minutes, its no big deal. If you were not half way across the country, I'd do it for you.

Take your slide off and look at the sight from the bottom. It should have a very small flat headed bolt holding the sight on. If it is just loose go to Sears or any good tool store and buy a 3/16" nut driver. remove the little bolt and put a drop of locktite on the threads, nail polish will work in a pinch and tighten it back down.
    If your bolt is gone, call your sight manufacturer and see if they will send you a new one.

Cheap, quick fix...head to the gun shop you regularly support...probably won't even charge you...mine wouldn't.

Stay armed...keep the sidearms at 100%...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

B52
    Chuck if you live in Tuscon, I have a Glock front sight stake tool and may be able to fix it for you for free. Also if you end up buying another Glock front sight I can let you use the tool. My advise is buy some aftermarket Night sights that use a screw to hold the post in place.

Links