Pistol Grip Shotgun (12 Gauge)

This is a discussion on Pistol Grip Shotgun (12 Gauge) within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; What is the best way to shoot a pistol grip 12 gauge. I just bought a Mossburg 500. I read on the internet that someone ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Pistol Grip Shotgun (12 Gauge)

Pistol Grip Shotgun (12 Gauge)

What is the best way to shoot a pistol grip 12 gauge. I just bought a Mossburg 500. I read on the internet that someone almost broke his wrist. I have #6 Express Shells & OO Reduced Recoil Buckshot. I need some guidence on how to hold it. Shoot from the waist? Brace it on your hip or what? Any info would be nice.

Thanks

2. Remove Ads

The best way is to buy a regular buttstock, or one with a pistol grip and full buttstock. But if you feel the need for a pistol grip only shotgun, just hold on tight, and try to keep your wrist as straight as possible.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Come on!!

You guys can do better than hold on!

Well, honestly the only time I have seen pistol grip shotguns used effectively is on some breaching shotguns, but even most of those are goin back to full length stocks in my experience (take that for what its worth, I'm only 23).

Shooting from the hip is probably your best bet, unless you want to end up on youtube don't hold it right next to your face and try to aim down the barrel.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Keep your wrist straight and locked. Bend your elbows a bit. Have a good stance, and keep your weight towards your forward foot so that you can "rock back" with the recoil. Basically, try to absorb the recoil as one solid object rather than trying to take it in your arms.
    And hold on tight :) Avoid 3" magnum shells too... low-recoil buckshot shouldn't be too bad.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

Pistol grips are the most useless piece of hardware that can be placed on a SG. Been there, done that. Shoot it once to say that you have, then replace it with a regular or pistol gripped full stock.
    BTW there is no good way to shoot one of these critters. Hip shooting looks good in the movies, can't hit crap. Eye level is real interesting with anything but reduced recoil loads.
    Have fun

Thank You! The guy at the Armory must have just wanted a sale. He said it was the best thing for home defense period. I guess I've been had. At least it was only $400.00. HA HA. ouch.

What is the best for home defense? Help me if you can, please!

Before you give up I would try shooting it and see what YOU think about it. There are those who like pistol grip even if most don't. I would suggest getting a laser and light to make aiming easier from the hip and make sure you know what you are shooting. I have a combo pg/colapseable stock on the one I have. Works well for my wife and me.

Cy

while not always the best. with practice it can be useful in close quarters . just need practice. keep your elbow locked when shooting.

kpw
    I used a single side sling when I had one. Wrap it around your strong side shoulder and push out. It will give you some stability. I could hit out to 25 yards with reasonable consistancy. Point shooting at chest level is easy enough at closer distances with a little practice.

Pistol Grip.

I only know of two techniques. First, which I think I read in Stressfire 2 by Ayoob, is to hold the gun high with your strong side wrist up and indexed on your pectoral muscle. if you stand square to the target you have a kind of body index to help point it. Keep your elbows bent and tucked down. Support hand pulls the gun forward and a little lean forward helps absorb the recoil if you pull your strong hand tight into your chest. The gun is high on the chest, not hipshooting.

Second method is to extend your support arm straight while holding the pump. The gun will lay a bit sideways on your support arm but the front bead will be in your line of sight along your arm. Push with your strong hand and pull with your weak and keep that support arm straight. It won't kick you in the face, at least with the loads you mention, and you get a decent index on the sight. FYI, this is the technique taught with the Styer TMP IIRC. Works good with those kind of (forgive me) "assault pistols" or the Kel Tec PLR and such shot from the single point sling position.

Practice with both, dry and live fire, then go get a stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    Push with your strong hand and pull with your weak and keep that support arm straight. It won't kick you in the face, at least with the loads you mention, and you get a decent index on the sight.
    I was doing just that with my Saiga-12 folded, except one round I forgot to keep the push/pull going. Didn't get hit, but the recoil surprised me a bit! Would be even easier with a vertical grip in the front I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottj000187 View Post
    Thank You! The guy at the Armory must have just wanted a sale. He said it was the best thing for home defense period. I guess I've been had. At least it was only $400.00. HA HA. ouch.

What is the best for home defense? Help me if you can, please!

Just get a buttstock for it. Pretty cheap--less than $50, easy to replace. You may be able to find a used one for less than half of that at a gun show.

And, honestly--if you need to use it for self defense, wouldn't you like to be able to aim it, instead of just point it in the general direction of your target?
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

M2
    I've got a Mossy Persuader and have shot it using the pistol grip loads of times. Sure, if you shoot 20 shots it's gonna hurt like hell; but how many shots are you expecting to get off in a HD situation? Honestly, for close quarters I prefer a pistol-gripped shottie, and I load mine with 3" magnum 00-buckshot rounds!

Cheers! M2

I like the factory pistol grip shotguns because I can make AOWs out of them.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links