22 cal. Plinking?????

This is a discussion on 22 cal. Plinking????? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; If you were to chose from either the Ruger Charger or Sig Mosquito witch would you chose just for plinking and target shoting and why??...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 22 cal. Plinking?????

22 cal. Plinking?????

If you were to chose from either the Ruger Charger or Sig Mosquito witch would you chose just for plinking and target shoting and why??

2. Remove Ads

I'd go with the Ruger. Very familiar platform for me.

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    +2 Ruger Very dependable and accurate.
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

Forgive me for asking, but why would the choice be made between those two? They appear to be so different in platform that a good comparison can't be made in my mind.

One is going to be used like a bench rest pistol and the other is going to be shot like your carry gun.

As I haven't shot either of them, I can't say which would be a better gun for the choice you have given. I have a ruger automatic pistol, early version of the Mark III, it is a great plinker. I would think this would be the better comparison to the Sig Mos.

The only other question I would ask is, do you want to shoot sitting down, or do you want to be able to stand up and be mobile with your plinker.
    Last edited by farronwolf; September 22nd, 2008 at 06:51 AM.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

My favorite .22 handguns are Hi-Standard, but they're kinda pricey. I only own one (a Supermatic Citation with a 9" ported barrel), but they're reliable and deadly accurate.

As Farronwolf mentioned, the Charger and Mosquito are very different guns; one is a dedicated target shooting pistol (no iron sights, has a bipod, etc...) while the other is a more traditional Sig-style pistol in .22 caliber. Both are lots of fun to shoot, but they're in very different categories. So as Farronwolf mentioned, you have to ask yourself a few questions:
    What do you want to do with this thing?
    Just shooting at cans and paper from short-to-medium distances, etc...? Mosquito sounds good for that.
    Longer distance target shooting or competition / bullseye shooting? Charger shines here.

Also check out a few pistols like the Browning Buckmark, Ruger 22/45, Hi-Standard, Hammerli, etc....

One advantage to the Charger is that you can use a lot of 10/22 accessories (hi-cap mags, trigger kits, scope bases, etc...) on it (correct me if I'm wrong, I don't own one).

Hope that's helpful.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

Ruger Single Six...two cyclinders.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I bought the Sig
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Browning buckmark
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

Neither.

I'd choose, and did, a top end conversion for my normal carry gun.
    Run the same grip, trigger, and manual of arms that you are everyday used to and the only difference is recoil.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

wpk
    I also purchaded a conversion kit for my kimber. Mostly to save on ammo costs as .45 acp is too pricy to just blast away with it. It is nice to have the same feel to the pistol. I do convert it back and run a mag or two of the .45 through at the end of every range session so I don't forget the recoil of it though.
    "America is a nation of laws; poorly written and randomly enforced." -Frank Zappa

“Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.” -Denis Diderot

I think the ruger charger is just a `0-22 with a short barrel type pistolstock with a bipod.I would personally either have a ruger handgun or a 10-22 rifle.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Forgive me for asking, but why would the choice be made between those two? They appear to be so different in platform that a good comparison can't be made in my mind...................
    Got to say I agree with farronwolf on this. The Ruger Charger,

actually bears little resemblance to a pistol. It is more a stockless rifle than a pistol and while it would probably be a lot of fun, it will be useless for practicing handgun skills. If you can fill us in on what your goals are for a plinking gun, we'll be better able to offer advice.

Hoss
    Last edited by cvhoss; September 22nd, 2008 at 01:50 PM.
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Administrator
    I'm also with Farronwolf. Two very different pistols for different types of shooting. That said, I think the Sig would get more use from me.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Neither.

I'd choose, and did, a top end conversion for my normal carry gun.
    Run the same grip, trigger, and manual of arms that you are everyday used to and the only difference is recoil.

- Janq

+1 to this. I have a .22 conversion for my daily carry gun and my match guns. Hours of very good practice on the cheap! Never have to worry about ingraining odd muscle memory from one gun to another.

That being said I also own a Ruger Mark III 22/45 which has a can on it. That is just a backyard toy to torment the squirrels with

Just for "plinking" or for actual practice? The Charger is well above the Mosquito in quality; equally a Ruger MkII Gvt HB is still a "pistol" and can give you realistic feedback.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links