Fans of Taurus? - Page 2

Fans of Taurus?

This is a discussion on Fans of Taurus? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by atctimmy No argument here. I just like their revos. IIRC in the 80s when it was purchased the pt92 was about 300 ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fans of Taurus?

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    No argument here. I just like their revos. IIRC in the 80s when it was purchased the pt92 was about 300 bucks less. Taurus has gone way up in price.
    I strongly considered a Taurus when I was looking for a J frame; I found that the resale value alone was worth the few extra bucks to buy a Smith, so I did.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by FISTER View Post
    Never had an issue with Millenium Pro (3rdgen) 9mm
    Same here. I like mine and feel its reliable. I had originally bought it for the wifey, but she hasn't felt the urge to carry so I have assumed ownership I keep workin on her though.

This is one of those guns it pays to do some research on. The early models did suffer from consistant issues of manufacture and quality, that seem to have mostly been taken care of by the 3rd gen. At least, from what I could find, Im no expert. Almost 1000 rounds though mine, and shes in great shape, with 0 misfires since a small break in period, and wearing very well in the contact areas of slide/handle.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Not even, comparing apples to apples, the difference between a PT92 and a Beretta 92 intial cost is about $50.00. Factor in prices of some spare mags, and resale value, the Beretta is cheaper; and you get a better gun.

I havent really thought out this one, but I'm willing to bet the same would be true in comparing a PT111 with a G26.

Those are Taurus's best models IMO, so I fail to see where the advantage is in purchasing a Taurus.
    My local shops have the G26 about 50 to 100 more then the PT111. Though, my personal preference would be the G26, due to track record and reliability being more solid, I would not balk at having to buy the PT111. So long as its 3rd gen and not used.

That all being said, I have no idea how good or bad any other Taurus products are.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I strongly considered a Taurus when I was looking for a J frame; I found that the resale value alone was worth the few extra bucks to buy a Smith, so I did.
    I just went to gunbroker and your probably right. Only about 50 to 75 dollars more for a j frame compared to the model 85. When I bought mine (early 90s) I think the price was about 125 bucks less.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I just went to gunbroker and your probably right. Only about 50 to 75 dollars more for a j frame compared to the model 85. When I bought mine (early 90s) I think the price was about 125 bucks less.
    Yeah, their prices have gone up in recent years, but you also were taking a bigger gamble in the early 90's.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Exclamation We have several...

Oldest daughter has a .22 wheel gun... no issues

Wife has a .357 wheel gun N has had no issues, but according to my "Gun test" the pin on some models can back out causing a jam and it is a easy fix.

She also has a 24/7 in 9 no issues.

Son has a PT 1911 with tac rail and it has been back for repair 4 times since the first of the year when it was bought. they had it for a minimum of 7 weeks each time, and three of those were for repair on previously repairs they were suppose to have made, the 4th time because the accuracy had taken a dump while they had it, and that time although a "RUSH" was placed on the gun they kept it for over 10 weeks!

On the whole "Gun tests" gives most of the Taurus they test a B to a A+ rating.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Taurus 1911

I saw one last week a the local gun shop and I was impressed. The gun just feels good in the hand and the tolerances are tight. The action was silky smooth and the trigger was great and it comes with tritium sights to boot for $699.

If only they did a better job on the forestrap checkering, they would have a Kimber killer then.

I have a PT111 Millenium Pro 9mm, and I've put 1000 rounds through without a problem. I'm happy so far!

I dont know which is worse, a Keltec or a Taurus.

To me the Taurus seems better quality. As opposed to the Keltec.

Taurus

Well I have a PT111 pro 9mm with 1,500 rds through it No FTEs No FTFs and handles and conceals well and is my carry weapon,I also have a 24/7pro 9mm with 500 rds through it No problems,and last i also have a Taurus M85UL with 200 rds through it no problems with any of them I know Tauruses has had alot of problems in the past but guess what IMO its gotten a hell of alot better with thier 3rd gen guns.

Sure your gonna read about somebody having a problem here and there but seriously i have read on here especially where people were having problems with various name brands ah but when it happens with those brands the response is ah well those things happen every manufacturer lets a lemon slip through every so often it does happen what happened in Taruses past is past they have gotten better gee lifetime warranty on the gun not the owner weather you buy one new or used it has a lifetime warranty.

when have you ever heard of Taurus having a Recall? I say fine if you dont like Taurus No problem i dont like fords but i dont talk bad about them or try to put them down to anyone thinking of buying one shoot half the people that complain about a taurus dont even own one or my freind told me not to get one because lol if you have any questions or wish to do any research on a Taurus model Taurus Armed.net - Index lots of taurus owners there and you will get it straight,weather bad or good.

I like my 3rd generation PT111. It cost me 330 bucks new, and came with two magazines. It was bought as a daily carry gun. I don't care for plastic guns, but since it was going to be a daily carry and would probably get scratched and show signs of wear I went ahead.

It was somewhere between 150 and 200 bucks cheaper than a Glock or a XD and will hold 2 more rounds than their smaller frame autos. It has a single action trigger which I prefer,no decocker here, then the follow up double action, that will hopefully never be needed.

I have never really had an issue with it, other than when shooting some factory reload ammo from miwall. Everything else runs good through it.

I don't care about resale value, especially on a carry gun. I don't sell my guns once I purchase them, as I have luckily never had a problem with any that I have bought. I don't know about their customer service, since in the 2 years that I have had it, I never needed to deal with them.

I suggest you shoot one, see if you like it and then make the descision as to what you want/need to pay for a weapon, and what your expectations are for what you get. There is nothing wrong with Glocks, Sigs, XD, HK, Ruger, Berreta, Taurus, or even Bersa in my mind. It is a matter of personal preference as long as you don't get one that isn't reliable. Then it doesn't matter what name is on it.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by OrlandoDriver View Post
    Well I have a PT111 pro 9mm with 1,500 rds through it No FTEs No FTFs .
    Same here Sitting about 600rds with no malfunction period. Eats everything from Monarch to Gold Dot +P

Quote Originally Posted by jjwestbrook View Post
    while not a big fan of taurus autos i do like their autos.

Uh.......................?!!

Senior Member Array mech1369dlw's Avatar
    I have an older PT-99 that has had a dump truck of rounds shot thru it. I also have the 3rd gen PT-111, PT745 and PT-145. All of them have been very good to me. I am anal about taking care of them. They get looked over every couple weeks, shot or not. After the range, they got serviced immediately. Some people like them, some people dislike them because maybe they had a lemon, some people hate them because of what they heard thru the grapevine. To each his own.
    A person is justified in the use of deadly force, if such person reasonably believes deadly force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to such person or a third person.

VIP Member
    I have a PT 92 and had issues with it. It was one of the first issued by Taurus and guess what? It had the same problems the Beretta 92 had, namely broken cams and bad slides. Taurus got the blame but Beretta got the pass. Fair? Nope but that is the way it went. Their Customer Service has been very good to me so I have no complains there either. The PT 92 is the one I have in my BO Bag right now.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    There's no room for Taurus handguns in my collection.They just are not up to
    snuff when it comes to quality.I'll go along with what Sixto said,Taurus keeps initial price low to lure new shooters to their brand. Most of them leave if they
    have issues with their piece.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links