Fans of Taurus?

This is a discussion on Fans of Taurus? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I understand that Taurus isn't the "greatest" brand you can buy, but it seems like a lot of people hate the brand/gun and dismiss it ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fans of Taurus?

Fans of Taurus?

I understand that Taurus isn't the "greatest" brand you can buy, but it seems like a lot of people hate the brand/gun and dismiss it as junk -- as I understand it, they've improved greatly in recent years as far as customer service/quality goes -- am I wrong? For the most part, is Taurus a respected brand by your average gun enthusiast? I mean, if Smith and Wesson is great, and Bryco is terrible, is Taurus right in the middle perhaps?

I was viewing their website earlier, and they offer a lifetime warranty on the gun even if it's not the original owner. Sounds pretty decent, and that they must trust their products to some level...
    It is utterly illogical to believe that passing laws to reduce gun violence will be successful when those who are commiting the gun violence do not obey the law.

2. Remove Ads

A friend at work has a few of 'em, he's happy.

I've read plenty of horror stories about Taurus quality. My own experience with Taurus is limited to a 617 revolver and a 24/7 Pro in 45 cal. I haven't experienced any major problems with either gun and although neither of them are my favorite carry guns both are very acceptable as such. I wouldn't be afraid to give a Taurus revolver a try if I were you.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach and Holly View Post
    as I understand it, they've improved greatly in recent years as far as customer service/quality goes -- am I wrong? For the most part, is Taurus a respected brand by your average gun enthusiast?
    They might have improved slightly, but they fail in a lot of areas. Their customer service has been horrible, but I stopped dealing with anything Taurus a few years ago. No, I dont think they are a respected brand.

A few of their models are OK and will serve the average Joe just fine, (quality control is very hit or miss) but my biggest issue with Taurus is that they lure the rookie gun owners in with a low initial cost, but they will nickle and dime you right up to the other makers cost level once you factor in parts, magazines etc.

I attend a few shooting schools a year, anywhere between 2 and 10... I've yet to see a Taurus anything that has made it through a hard week of shooting.

If you have a good one, count your blessing and enjoy.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Never had an issue with Millenium Pro (3rdgen) 9mm

while not a big fan of taurus autos i do like their autos.

I put some rounds through a M85. After about 100 rounds the action got tight and the cylinder was hard to turn. After a good cleaning it was fine again. The ammo was winchester, can't recall the exact type.

Senior Moderator
    I've never had a problem with the 4 Taurus I own. 2 autos and 2 Revolvers.

I've taken my PT92 to shooting schools and I use in in IDPA and it has preformed fine. I have seen other Taurus's fail but I've seen S&W's fail too.

The Mags cost more and their service time is long if you ever need it.

They have improved greatly in the last 10-15 years and they will probably become a top tier gun manufacter in the future.
    Sometimes I wonder who the old man in the mirror is....

Lord, Grant me a good sword and no need to use it.

Administrator
    Their early debut into the world of firearms left a lingering bad taste in my mouth to the degree that I've never wanted to own one.

Have they improved? - Obviously they have. See the above post by pgrass101.

I don't believe that buying a Taurus these days is the same total crap-shoot that it once was way back when.

It helps if you know how to do a complete "function check" on both revolvers and semi-autos BEFORE you buy.
    THAT can really help save you some potential heartaches when purchasing any firearm.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I carry a 605 on a regular basis, and it is accurate, always goes bang.
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

First, the facts. I currently have a model 85 handgun, a model 94SS4 handgun and a model 62 rifle. I've also had a model 650CIA handgun. I've never experienced any malfunction with any of them. Internally, they are not as smooth as a S&W or Colt, but they have been reliable. Externally, their fit and finish has been been excellent.

Next, speculation. They do appear to use a little softer steel than other quality manufacturers so you need to be a little careful when removing and replacing screws. I managed to strip a tang screw on the model 62 while installing their tang sight and it stripped very easily.

Finally, and this is pure speculation and conjecture on my part, their customer service problems. I had heard very few complaints about Taurus' customer service up until the introduction of their Thunderbolt rifles which were aimed at the Cowboy Action Shooting market. These had been anxiously awaited by CAS shooters as they were a much less expensive alternative to the other Colt Lightening replicas and were supposed to use a modern internal design thus eliminating much of the problems with the Lightening design. It didn't work and from talking with those who purchased them and with dealers who sold them, I would guess that 70%+ of them sold were being returned to the factory for repair as they didn't work out of the box and a lot of them were being returned more than once. It is my belief that Taurus' CS department simply became overwhelmed by the number of rifles that were being returned as more and more of their repair personnel were having to work on these rifles. It would not surprise me to see Taurus drop this rifle from their lineup as it's performance has to be a dismal disappointment.

I've never owned a Taurus semi-auto pistol but have heard hit and miss reports on their reliability. Those who get one that works seem to like them. Those who get one that doesn't work seem to hate them. If you were to get one that doesn't work, from everything I hear you can expect a very long wait to get your firearm back from Taurus' repair center.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by swiftyjuan View Post
    I carry a 605 on a regular basis, and it is accurate, always goes bang.
    +1. I have a 605 as my edc and it has been flawless since day one. I have a second revolver (medium frame) in .357 that I've had for 15 years. It too has been flawless. My dad has a model 92 (Berreta clone) in 9mm for about 20 years and no problems. I have multiple cousins and in-laws who edc Taurus snubbies with no complaints (we're a gun family ).
    All of the above now said, my Taurus revos get treated right and cleaned often. They don't have super high round counts either (less than 2000 combined). All things considered I've been VERY happy with Taurus. That said, I woudn't buy a cheap auto from them (or anybody) unless it was all I could absolutely afford. With autos you get what you pay for, and usually a top tier weapon is only a hundred or so dollars more.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    With autos you get what you pay for, and usually a top tier weapon is only a hundred or so dollars more.
    Not even, comparing apples to apples, the difference between a PT92 and a Beretta 92 intial cost is about $50.00. Factor in prices of some spare mags, and resale value, the Beretta is cheaper; and you get a better gun.

I havent really thought out this one, but I'm willing to bet the same would be true in comparing a PT111 with a G26.

Those are Taurus's best models IMO, so I fail to see where the advantage is in purchasing a Taurus.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by FISTER View Post
    Never had an issue with Millenium Pro (3rdgen) 9mm
    same, havent had any issues at all, and felt it has been easy to learn on (shooting and stripping).

if you are looking for something smaller, dont go with the millenium pro, get the 24/7 PRO COMPACT. Basically same size, but comes with nice grip, rail for light attachment, and i heard won gon of the year in SOME reputable magazine?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Not even, comparing apples to apples, the difference between a PT92 and a Beretta 92 intial cost is about $50.00. Factor in prices of some spare mags, and resale value, the Beretta is cheaper; and you get a better gun.
    No argument here. I just like their revos. IIRC in the 80s when it was purchased the pt92 was about 300 bucks less. Taurus has gone way up in price.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links