TFO issue

This is a discussion on TFO issue within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have TFO's on 5 of my Glocks (26, 19, 17, 30, 22). I just lost the front insert on the G17 for the 2nd ...

Thread: TFO issue

TFO issue

I have TFO's on 5 of my Glocks (26, 19, 17, 30, 22). I just lost the front insert on the G17 for the 2nd time in 6 months. All the others have held up to a lot more use than what I have given this G17. TruGlo replaces them without any question.
    Just wondering if it's just my bad luck, an issue with G17's (recoil, shock, etc) or an issue with all TFO's. The frame stays on so you can continue to use the gun but the fiber optic disappears.
    I really like the sight picture and the ease of picking out the front sight. Best and easiest sights I have owned (for my old eyes).
    Any 1st had or industry experience?
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

2. Remove Ads

Yea not so durable under lite extreme conditions, I've had two crack on the front site on my Glock 23 that I carry everyone.
    Including yard work.
    They third set on my G26 are fine so far, only use that to carry on seldom events and the range.
    Went back to Meprolights for the G23, and would still use TFO if the gun was not just under rough condition's

I have never used the TFOs myself but have heard from several fellow IDPA shooters that have had problems and either had them replaced or switched brands.

They are fragile. Not the first time I have heard of or seen this problem.

Administrator
    They are certainly easy to see, but a poor choice for a carry gun as you found out.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by NYcarry View Post
    Yea not so durable under lite extreme conditions, I've had two crack on the front site on my Glock 23 that I carry everyone.
    Including yard work.
    They third set on my G26 are fine so far, only use that to carry on seldom events and the range.
    Went back to Meprolights for the G23, and would still use TFO if the gun was not just under rough condition's

Sheesh, I hate when I don't proofread my posts

I have to take the other side. I have them on all four, excuse me, three of my glocks. I have had no trouble at all with them on my carry or competition guns.
    Bend the knees, smooth is fast, watch the front sight.

Quote Originally Posted by jualdeaux View Post
    I have to take the other side. I have them on all four, excuse me, three of my glocks.
    What happened to the fourth?
    ... whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one. (Luke 22:36b NASB)
    FN Herstal FNP-9, FNP-357, Kahr TP45
    Ruger LCP, S&W 22a
    http://revderb.blogspot.com

The sight did not fail completely. It still functioned as a black front site and the Night Sight stuff was still glowing in the dark - Only the fiber optic came out. It would have functioned on a self defense situation. They still worked like reg night sights. I have had other night sights die after a year and have had an insert come out of a night sight.

I have TFO's on G17, G19, G26, G22 and a G30. All have functioned well for over a year. Only the G17 has had an issue with the insert (2 times). I am wondering if anyone has had a simular issue. Could it be the holster, the cleaning stuff , will an impact effect it? This is my game gun and is treated a little hard.
    I am very pleased with TFO's in general. I still have Mepros on the G23, G27 and G21 but I like the TFO's better. Quicker to pick up, better in all light conditions. I use Dawson's on the G34 and G35 but they are strictly for USPSA.
    Has anyone had this many failures on one gun or continued failures. Any know causes?
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

Quote Originally Posted by RevDerb View Post
    What happened to the fourth?
    I sold it to fund a new purchase. I haven't used my 35 for over a year and I wanted to get something different.
    Bend the knees, smooth is fast, watch the front sight.

What timing, just today the front vial shot out of my XD40SC under recoil and is lost somewhere at the indoor range. Unless they replace it under warranty or something, I don't think I'll be getting any more TFO's. Gun was never carried, only saw range duty and had maybe 500 or so rounds since the sights were put on.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
    What timing, just today the front vial shot out of my XD40SC under recoil and is lost somewhere at the indoor range. Unless they replace it under warranty or something, I don't think I'll be getting any more TFO's. Gun was never carried, only saw range duty and had maybe 500 or so rounds since the sights were put on.
    The newer versions are more durable they will replace them good company. I cracked the tubes with gun cleaner they shot me out a new set. BTW don't spray gun cleaner on them
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Links