Best bet 1911 for the $

This is a discussion on Best bet 1911 for the $ within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Had a conversation with a few friends about what was the best 1911 for the $. What made me post is the group agreed on ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best bet 1911 for the $

Best bet 1911 for the $

Had a conversation with a few friends about what was the best 1911 for the $.

What made me post is the group agreed on Taurus. I don't have a 1911, so what do I know. Still, I always figured S&W or Springfield was the best the bet for the $. More then Taurus, but less then some of the other custom shops.

Looking for the Chevy Impala of 1911s.

Any thoughts.

2. Remove Ads

Well, I have no personal experiance with taures...but I do with the Springfield "Loaded". You can't go wrong with Springfields guarentee and their customer service...Thats why I chose Springfield....

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    I looked at all of them and found the Taurus to give great features for the money, but after reading everything I could find and handling all of them I decided the S&W 1911 Rail Model was the one for me. It certainly hasn't disappointed me - shoots a lot better than me and eats any ammo that I feed it. I also like it in stainless - less chance of rust and easy to care for.
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

Id take a serious look at an STI Spartan; They just did an article on one in the latest issue of Combat Handguns, which was very favorable. I have one and it is excellent, reliable and tightly fitted.

Basically, you get a very tight barrel which is as accurate as any of my Springfields or Glocks, with the internal parts all being EDM wire discharged machine STI parts. I took this gun apart and compared the trigger group to my $2,000.00 9x23 carry gun and they were the same internals.....

And I paid just $600 for the Spartan.

And I am willing to bet the STI bunch knows a whole lot more about how 1911s run than the Taurus folks ever will......
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

JD
    Administrator

The best 1911 for not a lot of money would be the Taurus. The best value 1911, i.e. best for the money would probably be the Springfield Loaded. JMO
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

You say the best for the money? I would go with a used Colt maybe a gov't 70's model (they are easy to find). Then rebuild it as needed. If done carefully, you could end up with a $700 shooter that groups like a $1200 kimber.

Then your buddies would be pissed...

VIP Member
    Don't know the price range your looking at. You might also want to look at the SIG 1911's. Should be able to pick one up for under $1000.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    I have a loaded Springfield that's a hi cap. A springfield 1911 with all the choices
    verus the taurus not much of a pick in my opinion.Springfield hands down but it's your money.

i have owned both smith and springfield,both very good guns.
    i bought a dan wesson cbob and for the money its th best to me

The Taurus is the Chevy "Vega" of the 1911's. You need a Springfield MilSpec.

From my personal experience I'm going to say Springfield Armory with their 'Loaded' line.
    My close second choice would be Smith & Wesson and a full steel 1911PD or one of their lightweight Scandium units. They also have a 9mm 1911 developed, tested, and on the way for 2009 that will slot below the high end DK chambered in .38 Super.

After that I'd be looking at either a Sig GSR or going to the above two only via the used market.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

My suggestion it to find a range that has guns you can try. Shoot as many models that you can before you decide. Each gun may feel different, also some guns may have features that you will find you don't like or that get in the way. I don't like ambi safetys myself, however my Defender has them and it works just fine for me. However it sometimes gets bumped off. I am partial to a basic 1911. I learned to shoot a 1911 with the original 1911 hammer and grip safety. I don't shoot with a high thumb so the old style works just fine for me. I carry as my EDC a Kimber Classic Stainless LE, it has a Beavertail, Speed bump on the grip safety, and a full length guide rod, but the rest is pretty basic. I bought it when the price was around $600.00 (now more expensive). I retired my old WW1 and WW2 pistols because they are collectors. I think that any 1911 under $1000 would do you fine. Only you will know for sure once you try different ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge45 View Post
    The Taurus is the Chevy "Vega" of the 1911's. You need a Springfield MilSpec.
    i don't know anything about the taurus , but i do own a chevy malibu , i also own a springfield milspec . and yes the loaded might more equate with the impala .

hope that helps

elance

I like the Springer GI's and MilSpecs. Of course I'm a plain jane 1911 fanboi. I would say the MilSpec is the Chevy Impala of 1911's, lots of features at a reasonable price. Also Springfield customer service is top notch.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links