Plz Esplain/justify Rails on pistols - Page 3

Plz Esplain/justify Rails on pistols

This is a discussion on Plz Esplain/justify Rails on pistols within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Here's the reason I use one, at least for my home defense handgun. I had a back injury last January, thus, I cannot walk steadily ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Here's the reason I use one, at least for my home defense handgun. I had a back injury last January, thus, I cannot walk steadily without my cane. This precludes me operating a gun with one hand, and a light with the other, since my Glock 17 is in one hand, and the cane is in the other.

So, I HAVE to have a weapon with a rail.

My experiences may be different than yours.
    "I Don't Want To Socialize With A Pinko Liberal Democrat Commie. Say What You Like About Republicans. We Stick To Our Convictions. Even When We Know We're Dead Wrong." Denny Crane:

Assistant Administrator
    Laurence - that makes total sense.

I am not actually ''anti'' lights on rails - just that I would not have that set-up for carry. However looking at your situation then for HD it is very logical.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I have been pretty much anti-rail but some issues and situations brought up in this thread have me rethinking a rail mounted light for home defence.
    NRA Life Member

"All That Later"

Senior Moderator
    have been pretty much anti-rail but some issues and situations brought up in this thread have me rethinking a rail mounted light for home defence.
    Thats one of the beautys of this forum. There is enough experience here that one can rethink somethings and gain from the knowledge of others...

There are several topics on this board that have caused me to reevaluate my postitions on some things...

and that CANT be a bad thing...

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky
    Lots of scope mounts out there that mount to the grip panel or rail.
    I've seen tons of mounts that attach to the grip panels, but I've only seen one for the rails, and that was a Sig.

Besides the grip panel mounts mean you replace one grip with something different than the other and they usually aren't very good grips.

Back to the light switch, I'm expecting the light to come on, the BG should not and will be surprised, so advantage to me.

But anyways, the rails add weight, can't use a standard holster most times and are going to hang up on fabric. On the plus side, they aren't as bad as the AR nuts who put rails on every surface of the rifle...yet.

I think the simple answer is - because someone wants it.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

Senior Moderator
    I think the simple answer is - because someone wants it.
    Actually its a pretty good thing to have. I know that I've changed my opinion of it... to the point that I'm really contemplating swapping out my duty Sig 220 to a newer one with a rail.

Many activites at night time that require the use of a light and a gun at the same time always requires the use of a third arm if you have to move something, open a gate or whatever it may be. It may not be such an issue wit ht a homeowner...but with a cop it is a definate advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by rocky
    Gotta diagree. For HD , a light can be really useful. using the momentary switch and moving you can confuse and discover the BG better than without a light. Also the light gives ya a free hand to call 911 and handle doors ect. My house layout means I have to clear 1 room to get to my kids rooms.
    Rocky, Just my preeference to have myself covered. Been there, done that with a light, cept is was the BG that took a shot at the light, (3 D cell Streamlight ) thinking I was right behind it. To say the least, he got dropped, and I'm still here to talk about it.
    NOT a very good experience to say the very least. for either one of us.
    I guess what I'm saying is, to each his own, and if the setup works for you, and you come home alive, that's what it's all about.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Quote Originally Posted by CLASS3NH
    Been there, done that with a light, cept is was the BG that took a shot at the light, (3 D cell Streamlight ) thinking I was right behind it. To say the least, he got dropped, and I'm still here to talk about it.
    NOT a very good experience to say the very least. for either one of us.
    I sure owuldnt like that experance either only place i think i would mount one is on the 12 Gauge and still dont really like it there either

But i will say the handgun lights come in real hand for upnorth in the woods in the dark while tracking .. one hand free and light points with guns for that second shot if need be

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White
    I sure owuldnt like that experance either only place i think i would mount one is on the 12 Gauge and still dont really like it there either

But i will say the handgun lights come in real hand for upnorth in the woods in the dark while tracking .. one hand free and light points with guns for that second shot if need be
    100% behind ya on the lights for use against animals (4 legged kind) The 2 legged kind usually have some sense about what's behind the light. A lot of guys come in the store, and buy the guns with sight rails expressedly for night se against Cyotes, small bears, and similar.
    The one huge dis-atvantage you have, is finding a suitable holster for CCW purposes.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

I do have the Glock light on my 17, and even though the price is very reasonable, the location of the switch makes it impossible to keep your finger near the trigger and operate the light. It either has to be on, or off.

For instance, the theory is, you should be able to momentarily light up the room to check for bad guys. If you determine the goblin is in the room, you reposition yourself.

Can't do that with the glock light. You either have to turn the light on and leave it on and search, or you just have to use the light, and not be prepared to immediately fire if the bad guy engages you.

If it had a switch..say...under the mag release button, then that would be great.
    "I Don't Want To Socialize With A Pinko Liberal Democrat Commie. Say What You Like About Republicans. We Stick To Our Convictions. Even When We Know We're Dead Wrong." Denny Crane:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links