Plz Esplain/justify Rails on pistols

This is a discussion on Plz Esplain/justify Rails on pistols within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Now i am Old School but can someone explain to me or justify the current fad of putting " light " rails on SD pistols ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Plz Esplain/justify Rails on pistols

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar

Now i am Old School but can someone explain to me or justify the current fad of putting " light " rails on SD pistols , to my thinking where do you get off pointing a loaded firearm at someone to see if you want to shoot them or not . In my day we taught " joe average officer " to have and use a flashlight seperate from his leithal force , has something changed about gun safety or morality of pointing firearms at folks that i never got the memo on ?? anyway i would apreciate your thoughts both Pro and Con on the issue of a railed pistol for duty/SD and issues in the carrying thereof

Assistant Administrator
    My SIG 226ST has a rail - not used it yet - probably will not. I prefer a separate light. Not to mention hassles with holster issues!

I think there is a camp which likes ''tacticool'' - and so perhaps that has been promoted such that we see more of this in ad's etc.

I certainly am not over thrilled about utilizing a rail light simply to see what is going on - that is breaking rule #2 potentially any time it is tried - as we may not know if we have an aggressor or, someone friendly.

I'll stick with hand held light if needed - otherwise as said - my rail stays empty!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I joke about them, too but I can see one application that even I could appreciate. If you had a family to see about, a pistol with a light mounted on it and an extended capacity magazine could be a wise investment. Imagine trying to drag a small child to a saferoom with your shotgun bumping around, sling or no sling.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    No rails for me either. Don't need one. Don't want one. If I am in a firefight with someone during darkened conditions the first thing that I will target is THEIR light source. If their head just happens to be behind it---then---oh well.-------

I agree with Euclidean, there is some use to them. If you hear a "bump in the night" you have two options... sit tight and run a fixed point defense. This is the safest option of course, but sometimes as was mentioned, you have to go gather the kids or elderly. Sometimes that noise has to be investigated bcz, while you heard "something", it wasn't enough to warrant calling 911. So you go investigate since you can't stay awake all night waiting to hear it again. If this is the case, try opening a door to a room or closet with your weapon in one hand, and a light in the other.

If I am clearing a room, I am going to muzzle flash anyone in there anyway, so what difference does it make if I have a light on the gun? Also, if I am using my trigger finger to activate the momentary light switch, I am not putting my finger on the trigger so it might help some folks avoid that migration to the trigger that can result in tragedies.

I have also seen some folks say they hold a separate light out to the side bcz having one on your gun makes the bad guy shoot at your light (and thus face). This makes me laugh since that technique was the rage in what the 1950s?? Who here shoots better with one hand (nevermind your free hand up in the air directing a light) than with two? Not me. Even with the Z2 I carry using the Rogers technique.. I am better with a solid two-hold grip on the weapon. If the perp sees the light it is bright enough to stun him and I'm not dumb enough to shine the light then stay put. If you activate any light, the best next step is to relocate.

Lights have been on SMGs and shotguns for a long time, and now many rifles have them as well, so I really don't see the big deal with having them on sidearms. To me it is a natural progression and I'd just as soon see rails on all guns. Whether it is used or not would be up the the individual. Are folks going to be lazy and use the gunlight as a regular flashlight? Probably, but those are the same folks I expect will be searching the house with their finger on the trigger if they didn't have a weapon mounted light.

Also, in terms of LE professionals, dog handlers have been using them for years. Yes, they probably break the rules and use it more as a flashlight, but as long as they have to hold the leash on the dog, I don't see a better solution.

Are weapon mounted lights something I would encourage a novice shooter to use? No, but for a seasoned shooter with common sense, they are quite useful. If it doesn't work for you, that's cool, but it is one more tool... whether you include it in your tool box is your decision and I won't knock it. But I do think they are more than just "tacticool".
    Last edited by Moon; December 16th, 2005 at 02:06 PM. Reason: correct minor typo error
    This is the best IWB holster I have found... ever! :)

Dood, its Tacticool!

Same reason why accountants buy 511 pants.

I just bought a Sig with rail on it...and bought a light for it. This gun is strictly for by my bed and that is where it stays unless I am practicing with it. I figure if somebody is roaming through my house in the middle of the night, I really dont care if the gun is pointed at them or not to light them up. My kids are all gone and we live in the boonies so there is no reason for anybody to be in our house. Besides that.......It's COOL!!!!!!

Now i am Old School but can someone explain to me or justify the current fad of putting " light " rails on SD pistols
    Those are accessory rails, not just "light" rails. Lasers, lights, and I'm sure a host of other options will be envisioned to put on them.

It's a matter of having that option. You don't have to use them, but if you want them, the gun has to have 'em.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

tacticool Sums it up why they are on the gun..

But now if someone offers a Bayonet tha most to the from of the Rails im all over that

Senior Moderator
    I wasnt too crazy about them at first...until I "saw the light "when I went to a Simunition training session with various LEO agencys participating.

The drill was to clear a house and it was a big house with many rooms and a weird layout. It was nighttime.

There is nothing worse than trying to open a door while holding a flashlight under your arm and your pistol in your other hand and trying to do it quietly.

It just aint gonna happen. Its awkward,loud and you really need three hands to do it right. Trying to move an obstruction out of the way so that you can get by it can be downright comical if someone else is watching.

I know all of the macho types out there can hold a light in one hand and calmly shoot with the other at someone that they cant see in darkened room or hallway, but that aint me.

I'll be looking for cover first and trying to get into a decent firing postion while tryiing not to get painted at the same time. You jump,run,bounce off of walls, fall over chairs,slap your head on shelves and doors all while trying to maintain a spot on the bad guy and at the same time trying not to shoot your partner.

Sounds easy dont it ?

I look at it like this...

Its an easier way to do a job that just about gaurantees that you are gonna get shot if the shooter wants it to happen. Out of the 50 or so officers that participated, 2 folks managed not to get painted.

After I tried it with the light mounted on the Glock, it was so much easier that it was a NO BRAINER. There was a decided advantage to using it, one that I will capitalise on every time.

Yeah, I wasnt to big on them at first, but even I could see the advantages to using them. So could the Sheriff who bought one for everyone in the dept. soon after.

As for me...
    I'll take all the help I can get...

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by rfurtkamp
    Those are accessory rails, not just "light" rails. Lasers, lights, and I'm sure a host of other options will be envisioned to put on them.

It's a matter of having that option. You don't have to use them, but if you want them, the gun has to have 'em.

Right on!

My new USP (being delivered tomorrow) will have an accessory rail. When I carry it, I'll stick to a SureFire 6P. But when it goes into dedicated house gun mode, I'll be mounting a gunlight, probably one of those M3's with a remote pressure switch.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

You need an adapter to mount an M3 to the HK rail...

Theres a difference in a weaponlight and a flashlight. Flashlights are for illumination in general. Weaponlights are used for identifying targets. The Harries Technique is great, as long as you dont have to open a door, drag someone, apply pressure to a wound, or anything else that would require you drop the light or put it away.

The Surefire 6P mounted on my AR15 wont replace the 6P or G2 on my nightstand. Neither will the 623FGA I'm going to mount on my mossberg, or the 610R that I plan on putting on my SA. Well, I may go with an add-on rail and an X200B for the SA, Caspian and Dawson caught my eye. I got a lot of money to spend on that pistol beofre I get to hanging a light on it, so I have time to decide.

What kills me is a light rail on a 1911, a SIG P220, or other piece of fine artwork that doesnt have a light on it. Now I aint a big fan of laughing gas, but it is kinda like putting a two-stage nitrous system on a car but never hitting the button. All it does is clutter up the engine bay, whats the point?

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Zach S
    You need an adapter to mount an M3 to the HK rail...
    Do you know which weaponlight does NOT need an adaptor to mount to the H&K USP? Can you post a link?
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier762
    Do you know which weaponlight does NOT need an adaptor to mount to the H&K USP? Can you post a link?

I think BLAST lights will fit on the propietary HK rails.

http://www.nightvisionsales.com/prod...roducts_id/934

here is 1 source.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links