My 2 year old is now very interested in my gun

This is a discussion on My 2 year old is now very interested in my gun within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Came back into the house from working on my car and my wife did not have the happiest look on her face. She was cleaning ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My 2 year old is now very interested in my gun

My 2 year old is now very interested in my gun

Came back into the house from working on my car and my wife did not have the happiest look on her face. She was cleaning up from Dinner and heard my son(turned 2 last week) in the front room saying...

"Daddy gun go BOOM! Daddy Gun Go BOOM!"

She ran into the room and he was holding the digital cam and pointing it at the TV saying that. She told me she better not see my gun anywhere where he can reach it. Of course I know this and she knows this and it never is but she just felt the need to reiterate. Most parents say this but my son is really smart and he has seen me shoot my gun before on the edge of the property.

Anyone run into a similar situation before? Anything I should do other than keep it locked up?
    Last edited by pgrass101; September 23rd, 2008 at 10:39 AM. Reason: Moved per OP's request

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Keeping it lock up is the best thing you can do if you aren't carrying it on you. My daughter asked me when she was 4 if she could have all my guns when I die......... Its good to have your priorities straight........
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Gun-proof the child. You might well always keep your own firearm(s) secured and away from the kid, but at some point curiosity is going to win out. The trick is: disconnect that pre-wiring such that the curiosity goes hand in hand with the rules about gun safety, else it could really end up badly.

Suggestions will come from the parents in the crowd, I'm sure. Keep it on you. Lock it up when truly not in use. Never, ever leave a firearm lying about (or even merely "hidden" unsecurely). Help eliminate the mystique about firearms. Check out the Eddie The Eagle training materials through the NRA, which can provide some ideas (though for older kids). Know that the next few years are going to be pivotal.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Kids that young --and even a few years older-- are totally unpredictable. Because the child has shown an interest in the gun, and is way too young to be reasoned with about much of anything, you need to keep it locked, locate it where there is absolutely no chance the child can find it or get to it, or keep it on your person.

You are just going to have to be super careful until the child reaches the age of reason, somewhere around 8 or so, and then you can begin to educate. You'll still need to keep it locked or on your person.

Keep in mind, aside from the risk to the child, you could go to jail if the kid causes a discharge of the gun and hurts himself or your wife, or anyone else.

Was he holding the camera properly, then no worries.

I'd say if he is this smart, then start on the 4 rules now. If nothing else, it may give your wife some extra comfort. Also, since you didn't indicate a fight, good on ya for not getting mad at her. I would have probably taken it as her accusing me of not being safe.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    Was he holding the camera properly, then no worries.

I'd say if he is this smart, then start on the 4 rules now. If nothing else, it may give your wife some extra comfort. Also, since you didn't indicate a fight, good on ya for not getting mad at her. I would have probably taken it as her accusing me of not being safe.
    LOL my wife did not say if he had proper technique when holding the camera. I don't think he can really comprehend what exactly the gun does or what damage it can cause but it's not far off. I guess I just need to feel it out and when I think he is ready, start education.

whatever you do don't try and hided it. If he shows an intrest let him look at it (not play with it), have him help you clean it. let him count the shells when you hreload the mags. Take him shooting and as soon as you see fit get him shooting a .22 (not an air rifle) Make sure he knows they are not a toy but a very dangerous tool. This is how my whole family has been rasied and we have a very hi respect for firearms but also use and carry them.

I have had my son Shooting from the age of 5 and has had his own .22 from his 6th birthday. He can shoot (with constant supervision) a .22 riffle, .22 mag pistol. .32 pistol 9mm pisto and a .40. He has shot the .45 but does not like it. He shows no intrest in the weapons other than when we go out and shoot nad hunt. He also know that they are locked up and it only takes one time to ruin the trust we have built up in him.

I really don't worry to much about him, but I do worry about the kids he brings into the house. That is also why like others have said if it is not on me it is locked cin the safe!!

Chris

That's why my best friend started carrying his Glock 19 short one round in the mag. When he got home, he would remove the bullet from the chamber, and place it back in the magazine. Then on his way out the door in the morning, he would simply chamber a round.

He would also keep his Glock in his upper dresser drawer, that was well out of reach of his child.

I still do the same thing today, if we have someone visiting with children

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Actually this could be a good thing. Interest in firearms usually starts at a young
    age. I shot my first gun, a .22 revolver, when I was just 8. I was at the home of an uncle's and he and my dad were plinking. After that first shot, I was hooked. You might just have another pro-gunner on your hands.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

one awesome resource for advice on this very topic is Cornered Cat

Just click on the table of contents button and scroll down, you'll see an entire section for 'Kids and Guns'. I could give you the play-by-play of what I do with my 4 year old daughter and 1 year old son, but I'd just be copy-pasting from this site! Definitely give it a few hours of your time to read what she has to say. Very sound advice.

VIP Member
    Anything I should do other than keep it locked up?
    At 2 that is about all, other than try and tell him not to touch guns until he is old enough.

Senior Moderator
    I have a pistol safe under the bed to keep my son (18 months) away from my pistol. All of my guns are locked up when they are not on me for safety reasons.

Spend $100 and get a pistol safe <-follow link and you will save much more in peace of mind.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

I have a four year old boy and a two year old girl. The girl is more adventurous than my boy was at her age. One morning, I heard her at the foot of the bed tossing things on the bed as the wife and I were sleeping. Not thinking much of it I just rolled over to catch a couple more minutes of shut eye (I knew it wouldn't be long before the "Mommydaddymommydaddy!!" thing started).

Next thing I knew, she was standing at my side of the bed saying "Here Daddy." I opened one eye to see what she had. It was my holster (the gun was placed another two feet above her reach). The little troll had dragged a stool into the bedroom, and placed it in front of the shelving unit/dresser where all my stuff lives when it isn't on me. The addition of that stool only put the gun about 10 inches out of her reach.

That day I mounted an electronic vault to the shelf. Now that is where everything lives.

I only tell this little tale (all true by the way) to say this: You can say that the top drawer of your dresser is a safe place. You can even think that on top of the Grandfather clock will suffice. The simple fact is nothing except constant, eyes on supervision will prevent even the most determined two year old from getting into something or somewhere they aren't supposed to.

That said, I agree with the teach them young mantra. It needs to be repeated on a regular basis as we all know that repetition is key to learning.
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out." British Prime Minister Tony Blair

VIP Member
    I have to agree with the others have said so far. If you do not actually have your gun on you, keep it locked up. No dresser drawers, no top shelves, no "hidden" places. LOCKED in a safe. Start your sons education now. He wasn't too young when you started teaching him to say "Daddy and Mommy". He wasn't too young to be taught the meaning of "No". Start teaching him gun safety now, it will stay with him all his life. Pick up the Eddie Eagle programs from the NRA and get him started on them. Much better for him than Barney, or whatever the kids watch now. Protect him, train him and love him. Speaking from experience, you never know how long you will have him.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Krmnnghia View Post
    ............Anything I should do other than keep it locked up?
    Keep the keys locked up too! Or keep the keys on you. When my brothers and I were younger, we knew were the keys were. Yes, we played with the guns - luckily none was loaded that we played with.

Yes, dad would have killed us, - yes, we were instructed on the use of firearms, - yes, we had fired them under supervision and yes, we were still curious & fortunate nothing ever happened. I'm sure he thought we never touched them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links