Dirty Harry Gun

Dirty Harry Gun

This is a discussion on Dirty Harry Gun within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I want to get this gun for my dad for Christmas (he will love it) and I know it is the S&W Model 29. My ...

Thread: Dirty Harry Gun

Senior Member Array McPatrickClan's Avatar

Dirty Harry Gun

I want to get this gun for my dad for Christmas (he will love it) and I know it is the S&W Model 29. My question is about the frame size & finish, as well as the chambering. Which one did Dirty Harry actually use?

I thought it was a 29 then becoming a 629 at some point.

But MMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmm that one Ramrod linked is 44AMP !!

1943 - 2009
    Clint Eastwood, AKA Dirty Harry, used the .44 Auto-Mag pistol in one film, Sudden Impact, produced in 1983.

Dirty Harry was released in 1971. Inspector Callahan's revolver was the S&W Model 29, 6.5 inch barrel, .44 Magnum caliber, N (large) frame, blue finish. Callahan never used the Model 629, which is stainless steel, introduced in 1978.

There are some claims that, due to the unavailability of the Model 29 from S&W, a Model 57 in .41 Magnum, which is virtually identical to the Model 29, was used in the film. This is refuted by director John Milius, who says that the Model 29 was indeed used in the filming of Dirty Harry.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

The reason the bodel 29 became hard to get was because of it film exposure in Dirty Harry. After the film came out the prices skyrocketed. I know because I was trying to get one at that time.

VIP Member
    Along with the .41 or .44 issue, I read somewhere that two different barrel lengths were used also. I think that sort of stuff is pretty typical of Hollywood, I remember reading about the first Superman movie and was amazed that they had several different capes for him, one to be used when he was standing, one used when he was flying, one used for take-off etc.

I have a S&W Model 29, blued and 6 inch bbl, I think that's pretty close to the Dirty Harry gun we visualize.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

In the movie they used the blued 6.5 and 8 3/8 inch S&W M29-2.

Be not far from me, for trouble is near; For there is none to help. psalm22:11

Check out this link. I believe in most of the actual movies, the 29 was the 6 1/2" barrel model but some stills and movies posters from The Enforcer look to be the 8 3/8" model.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Quote Originally Posted by McPatrickClan View Post
    McPatrick - The link shows S&W's latest M29. This revolver is similar yet different from the one used in the movies. For one thing, the latest version had a built in lock accessed by a key hole in the side plate. For about the same price as a new M29 with the internal lock you can find a 30-40 year old M29 just like the one in the movies.
    Be not far from me, for trouble is near; For there is none to help. psalm22:11

Quote Originally Posted by Arisin Wind View Post
    McPatrick - The link shows S&W's latest M29. This revolver is similar yet different from the one used in the movies. For one thing, the latest version had a built in lock accessed by a key hole in the side plate. For about the same price as a new M29 with the internal lock you can find a 30-40 year old M29 just like the one in the movies.
    Good to know. Thanks man.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    The gun actually used was a Smith & Wesson M 29-2. It has a recessed cylinder and pinned barrel, features eliminated in later versions. It is a 3 screw model and has the 6.5" Bbl. It featured S&W's Brite Blue finish. It was also equiped with the .5" target hammer and grooved target trigger. Over size target grips were also standard as were the red ramp front sight and white outline rear sight, and it came in a wood case.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Sponsored Links