Another shipping question

This is a discussion on Another shipping question within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I would like your help on deciding whether or not to bring some gun parts back with me in my check in baggage. I have ...

Thread: Another shipping question

Another shipping question

I would like your help on deciding whether or not to bring some gun parts back with me in my check in baggage. I have 4 - 1911 slides and barrels along with misc. other parts. I believe it is alright to bring those back to the U.S with me but my wife would like to here what you'all think. My wife has raised some doubt in my mind now as to whether or not I'll be hasseled when I go through customs. I'll be flying in from the Philippines in 11 days now. I'm not asking for legal advise just your opinion. Thanks for your help. I also add that I will not bring the firearm frames back with me.
    Best,
    Rhome
    Politicians are like diapers, they should be changed often and for the same reason. ~ Robin Williams ~
    www.desbiensgunleather.com

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Since you are just asking for opinions:

My international travelling experience is limited to Canada so I don't know how much grief customs would give you. I bet it would be easier to just mail them to someone here and pick them up when you arrive rather than try to carry them through.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Quote Originally Posted by CopperKnight View Post
    Since you are just asking for opinions:

My international travelling experience is limited to Canada so I don't know how much grief customs would give you. I bet it would be easier to just mail them to someone here and pick them up when you arrive rather than try to carry them through.
    I inquired about that and FedEx will not do it, they won't even ship some novelty lighters I bought or my bolo's or my holsters that I had shipped FedEx from the U.S. My wife tells me that here in the Philippines the Govt. allows most items to be brought into the country but once they are here it is almost impossible to ship out of the country unless you hand carry the items out. Hell, I just shipped 5 boxes of my stuff back to CA and the FedEx guys picked through everything to make sure nothing was illegal before they put it on the truck. Then I just got the bill......almost $2,000 for 5 boxes and a guitar ! Oh well enough ranting..... I can't wait to get back home. Like Dorthy says: There's no place like home...
    Politicians are like diapers, they should be changed often and for the same reason. ~ Robin Williams ~

VIP Member
    ...the Philippines the Govt. allows most items to be brought into the country but once they are here it is almost impossible to ship out of the country unless you hand carry the items out....
    Well that's screwy. Lost that bet. Most places try to keep stuff from getting in...
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

VIP Member
    Are you flying out commercial airlines? If so check with them as to whether it is allowed. As far as Customs, call or visit them there. The nearest military installation should have Customs personnel available to answer the question.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

This is an interesting question. Do you have a receipt for the parts? Do they have serial numbers? Since you don't have all the parts to assemble a full pistol, one would thing that might be okay. As suggested...check with customs beforehand. The government always got me into and out of far away places like PI. Didn't have to worry about customs. Good luck with it though.
    http://www.visitmyphilippines.com/im...a09fd0add3.doc

You may have some issues getting them out. I have run in to strange problems leaving other countries to come home with an array of items in my suitcase.

FWIW, the airport security in New Delhi has no clue what a Cisco PIX Firewall is and will question you for quite sometime before they let you enter the airport at all.

Back to the topic at hand, if you have receipts and they are still in the packaging you purchased them in, and they are not a special from Shanghai, I don't think you will have a problem coming back in. You may have to pay a tariff on them based on their value.

What airport will you be flying in to, that may also help as some customs offices are stricter than others. DFW would probably give you some grief, and somewhere like JFK might as well.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

I'll be flying into SFO..San Francisco airport. No I don't have reciepts as these were made for me by a local custom maker here on the island, just wanted to bring them home as souvenir's. My wife now thinks it may be best for her to mail them to me via post office. I questioned her on this as I don't trust the post office here as I've mailed several cards back to the states last year and they were never delivered..... so I just might have to grin and bear it and chock it up to experiance and take the loss if it comes to that. I'm really hoping they let my collection of bolo's and escrima sticks through on my check in baggage, they are all gifts and wrapped as such....we'll see what happens.

Links