Wal-Mart "Rifle or pistol?" - Page 3

Wal-Mart "Rifle or pistol?"

This is a discussion on Wal-Mart "Rifle or pistol?" within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; There must be a bunch of youngsters here that I wasn't aware of. It must be close to 30 years since I was asked for ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wal-Mart "Rifle or pistol?"

There must be a bunch of youngsters here that I wasn't aware of. It must be close to 30 years since I was asked for an ID and FWIW, I was a bit put out myself since I was almost thirty at the time. Now the only one that wants to verify my age is Social Security!!

BTW, anyone that's younger than my oldest son (37) I consider a kid, so don't take offense at being called one. There will come a time when all you "kids" will ask youselves where the time went. For example, the first time someone says to you, "Aren't you (fill in the blank)'s grandfather?", your children tell you how grey - assuming you still have any - your hair has become and worse, when it's time for YOU to go to bed, or when you get that first letter from the AARP telling you that you've been pre-approved for membership.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

When asked "Rifle or Pistol", I simply say "yes".

It tends to confuse them, but using correct change tends to do that as well.

And, I try not to buy ammo at ww anyway. Usually, the local dealer has it for only about $1/box more, and I'd rather give my money to them.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Quote Originally Posted by Siafu View Post
    They asked me that just the other day when I was buying some .22 for the Walther P22. What is to stop someone from just saying rifle? Every time the cash register asks the clerk to confirm my pistol permit they look at it like it is written in Greek anyways so what's the point? At my ghetto Walmart there are likely many people in the store with guns, but only a very few of us with lawfully possessed guns.

BTW: I love this little plinker...

What is that little clear nylon looking string attached to the bottom of the grip? That's not the price tag still on is it?
    Yoda, I am, yes.

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    What is that little clear nylon looking string attached to the bottom of the grip? That's not the price tag still on is it?
    Yes, I took that pic the day I brought it home. Here is the wide angle unboxing pRon.

VIP Member
    Vtxdpm:
    You must be a first time Wal-Mart ammo customer!

When in Wally World, everything is for rifles.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

At the Gander Mtn and Dicks and Wal-Mart here in NY, they keep all the pistol ammo behind the counter, and all the shot shells and rifle ammo in the ailes. In order to buy pistol ammo, you need to show your NY State permit, unless the staff knows you.

There are those ambiguous calibers, like .22 which can go either way, so they keep that accessible.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

NEITHER. Buy it somewhere else. If you like their deals on ammo...I'm sure you can find better online somewhere.
    READ AND HEED
    Wal-Mart as Role Model - WSJ.com
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

It happened to me one time and I said if it happens again I'm not buying ammo there again. Bought several more times and they didn't ask. I think I read somewhere, probably part of the Bloomberg NY deal that they were going to start taking pics, etc. Definitely won't be buying there then.

IIRC, Wal-mart agreed to record firearms sales as part of the Bloomberg agreement. I don't remember seeing anything about ammo sales tho. Wal-marts in my area don't sell either ammo or firearms, as far as I have seen, so I dont have that concern. I havent been asked handgun or rifle on any of my ammo purchases yet.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by mulle46 View Post
    IIRC, Wal-mart agreed to record firearms sales as part of the Bloomberg agreement. I don't remember seeing anything about ammo sales tho. Wal-marts in my area don't sell either ammo or firearms, as far as I have seen, so I dont have that concern. I havent been asked handgun or rifle on any of my ammo purchases yet.
    They happily gave in...that's all I'm concerned with. Actually they set the standard. They set it BEFORE bloomberg decided to go after them. They have some sort of partnership now. Forget what it's called. Google around it's out there.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JonInNY View Post
    At the Gander Mtn and Dicks and Wal-Mart here in NY, they keep all the pistol ammo behind the counter, and all the shot shells and rifle ammo in the ailes. In order to buy pistol ammo, you need to show your NY State permit, unless the staff knows you.

There are those ambiguous calibers, like .22 which can go either way, so they keep that accessible.
    Don't that just seem plain dumb....? I told mgt at the Newburgh Wall-Mart that they were wrong..just about EVERY handgun cartridge can be found in some kind of long gun....I knew why they were doing it...Lots of gang bangers in the area....but they can't have a gun because they would never pass a background or NICS check so what's the problem.....? Sarcastic enough, yes/no?
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by hudsonvalley View Post
    Don't that just seem plain dumb....? I told mgt at the Newburgh Wall-Mart that they were wrong..just about EVERY handgun cartridge can be found in some kind of long gun....I knew why they were doing it...Lots of gang bangers in the area....but they can't have a gun because they would never pass a background or NICS check so what's the problem.....? Sarcastic enough, yes/no?
    I agree with you 100%. I wonder if there are county rules at play here (Orange vs. Ulster).
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Age related question by the computer. Most of the time the register operator just punches in rifle without bothering to ask.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

A budy of mine bought a Ruger camp carbine when we were 19 or 20 and we couldn't by ammo at WalMart because they considered it pistol ammo.

Later on they started asking if it was for rifle or handgun, but I was over 21 when they started that. So I think the policy of asking is better than just assigning it as handgun ammo and denying all sales like they used to do. even though anyone can lie about it.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links