Wal-Mart "Rifle or pistol?"

This is a discussion on Wal-Mart "Rifle or pistol?" within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hi All, I was in Wal-Mart yesterday picking up a brick of .22 LR (Federal 36gr, 550 pack for $13) and as I was checking ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wal-Mart "Rifle or pistol?"

Wal-Mart "Rifle or pistol?"

Hi All,

I was in Wal-Mart yesterday picking up a brick of .22 LR (Federal 36gr, 550 pack for $13) and as I was checking out, the cashier stopped with her finger poised over the register keys and asked me if I was buying these for a rifle or a pistol. I said 'Rifle' and she hit a key on the register and finished ringing up the order.

Has anyone else been asked this?

My initial thought was that it was for some kind of marketing research. But then I recalled another thread on a forum saying that Wal-Mart doesn't sell handgun ammo - so maybe if I answered "Pistol" she would have had a problem with policy selling them to me. I don't know.

I should have asked her, "What difference does it make?" but didn't think of it at the time. Kinda caught me off guard.

This was just outside of Greenville, SC.

vtXDpm

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    They will not sell pistol ammo to anyone under 21 I believe.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I buy boxes of .45 ammo at Wally world all the time here in N.C. never been asked anything about it!
    I carry a gun because cops are too heavy!
    Take my advice, Don't take my advice!

^ Yep, gotta be 21 to purchase pistol ammo.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

I get asked that very question every week! A few months ago when I was asked this very question, I felt kinda spiffy......when the cashier asked if it was for rifle or pistol, I told her pistol and then asked her if she needed to see it. My wife looked sort of tense for a moment, but the cashier just laughed her head off and said she didn't think that would be necessary. (I was carrying one of my 9mm EDC's at the time). Last week, the sporting goods department guy asked the question rifle or pistol? on some 22lr ammo. I told him "both". Well, that threw a cog in the wheels of time since the cash register didn't list that option. I don't think it's an invasive or useful question.....I just have fun with it! Happy ammo shopping!

Ram Rod, your not supposed to have that much fun when purchasing ammo, those are deadly projectiles, especially at the expense of the Wally World employee.

Next time, tell them your going to try them in a shotgun and see what response that gets you.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Ram Rod, your not supposed to have that much fun when purchasing ammo, those are deadly projectiles, especially at the expense of the Wally World employee.

Next time, tell them your going to try them in a shotgun and see what response that gets you.
    Well, if I stretched the truth a bit, and told them I'm taking them home, putting them in a vise, and hitting them with a hammer, do you think they would still sell me some ammo?

I get asked "is that for a handgun?" everytime I buy a box of WWB .45acp. A few times I felt like saying something smart but didn't. Maybe next time I'll say it's for my knife.

Wal-Mart definitely does sell handgun ammo, don't know where you heard different. Unless it's a state-by-state thing, like they only sell handguns in Alaska and... Oregon is it? Anyway, I just bought 100rds each of WWB in .45ACP and 9mm a week or so ago at Wally.

It's a question their cash register asks, same as when you buy any other "restricted" item (booze, rated R movies, spray paint, ephedrine products, etc.) just to validate age, I think, but it might also be for their recordkeeping as far as how much handgun vs rifle ammo they sell. The guy didn't ask me the last time, I guess he assumed it was for a handgun (duh), saw I was obviously over 21, and pushed the button. Of course I guess they don't consider both rounds could be for an SMG. I should have said they were for my MP5's, just to see their reaction.

I don't mind a question like that, but I read somewhere recently that Wal-Mart was planning a more restrictive/invasive policy on sales of ammo. Buyers would be filmed or photographed and have to "register" their ammo purchase, and they could/would deny purchases based on buying history or some other arbitrary criteria they came up. If that happens expect even more of a hassle buying there -- I'll be paying a little more to buy elsewhere if so.
    David

Kimber Pro CDP II • Colt Combat Commander • Glock 26 GNS • Ruger Mark III 22/45 • Kahr CW9 (sold)

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Yep this happened to me too, but it was at the front check out. I answered yes for a pistol and had to sign some document. Everything I buy now fits a rifle.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

From 18 USC Sec. 922:

(b) It shall be unlawful for any licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to sell or deliver -
    (1) any firearm or ammunition to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than eighteen years of age, and, if the firearm, or ammunition is other than a shotgun or rifle, or ammunition for a shotgun or rifle, to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than twenty-one years of age;
    Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

never asked, ever. i don't even get "carded".
    Let's Roll - Todd Beamer

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

I was thinking that it was federal law that says you can't buy pistol ammo unless you are 21 and rifle ammo at 18. I may be wrong on this but any ammo that will fit either gun comes up on their computer as having to declare. Just answer rifle and go on with your life rather than worrying about black helicopters.

Looks like CVHOSS posted the law while I was typing. I am a little slow.
    Last edited by FN1910; September 24th, 2008 at 11:59 AM.

Mira Mira

I buy 9mm range ammo at Wally World all the time. Fortunately for me, I live in Kissimmee and no one at Wally World speaks English.

VIP Member
    Yeah, they ask me too when I buy WWB .45ACP. I'm quickly catching up to 60!
    I always say rifle just to speed things along.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links