whats the recoil like ?

whats the recoil like ?

This is a discussion on whats the recoil like ? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; so i'm taking my girlfriend to the range tomorrow and she wants to shoot the AR-15. having never shot one, i don't know what its ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: whats the recoil like ?

Question whats the recoil like ?

so i'm taking my girlfriend to the range tomorrow and she wants to shoot the AR-15. having never shot one, i don't know what its like, and seeing as the range isn't open for me to call and ask, i'm here :D

ide hate to see her pick it up, and on the first shot drop the gun or something. so how would you describe the recoil on it ?

and a quickie for myself, what does a .308 sniper rifle handle like? a friend told me a 308 was a killer shot, and to stay away... but i don't believe everything he has to say, if you know what i mean.

thanks for any help.
    NREMT-B

"Dead is dead"
    "Yea, till we show up with jumper cables and drugs to debate it"

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    AR-15 recoil is minimal. She shouldn't have any issues. Never shot a .308 but I would definitely stay away from 7 mm magnums.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

AR-15 IMHO is fairly minimal(depending on the round) and she shouldn't have any issues. My best friends wife will shoot mine with no issues to speak of. As far as .308 is concerned it packs somewhat of a punch from something like a Remi 700 Bolt action. But I don't think she couldn't shoot it. From a bench rest I don't think she would have any issues either. Bring a thick Jacket or something to kind of pad the recoil should you try something big out.

BAC
    AR-15s are very manageable... provided you aren't starting her on something with a brake or comp that's going to be loud as all hell. A bolt action rifle chambered in .308's not bad either; more "push" than if you were shooting a 5.56 out of an AR, but still not bad.

-B

The first range day in the Army our Drill Sgt fired one off his chin to demonstrate. Wouldnt recomend it , but .......
    I'd equate it to a .22 pistol
    I'd compare .308 to about 1/2 the recoil of a 12 ga shooting 3" slug loads. Sorry if thats vague its the only thing i could come up with.

Shooting an AR-15 isn't bad, the recoil system takes a lot of the shock out. A bolt action .308Win shooting off the bench is a bit more but manageable. Weight of the rifle plays an important role in felt recoil here, and most 'sniper' rifles are heavy enough to make that recoil minimal. My .308 Savage goes about 14 lbs and is easier on recoil than my 6.5X55 hunting rifle (.264).

Quote Originally Posted by mikeprekopa View Post
    what does a .308 sniper rifle handle like? a friend told me a 308 was a killer shot, and to stay away... but i don't believe everything he has to say, if you know what i mean.

thanks for any help.
    In a crappy stock, with excessive length of pull and a cheap recoil pad- they aren't much fun. Lots of "sniper rifles" cobbled together by smiths to make tacticool sales for their shops. OTOH, a Remington 700 PSS, Savage 110, Steyr, or Winchester 70 are all smooth shooting. It will be different than your AR, but nothing like a 12g.

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    AR 15 is no problem at all, like everyone said.

.308 is going to garner a variety of opinions, but my wife has no problem with .308. It is noticeably stouter in recoil vs. 223. If you tuck it properly into your shoulder good and tight, you shouldn't even have any bruising.

My caution about bench shooting any larger calibers if you don't have any experience is to be VERY VERY CAREFUL about tucking the but of the rifle into your collar bone. Its very common for inexperienced shooters to do and sometimes even an experienced shooter can do it on accident. Very painful, and sometimes with the right caliber/shooter combination can result in a broken collar bone.

Most new shooters, or shooters new to a large caliber rifles, I will have them shoot standing a few times to aquaint them with the recoil before we move to shooting on the bench.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

AR15 is nothing for recoil and the .308 really doesn't kick much either unless you found a 5 pound rifle for it.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Here is a rifle recoil table: click.

Here is a corresponding handgun recoil table: click.

If you've shot any of the more-common rifle cartridges listed, this can give you an idea about how some of the others might compare. With .223, .243 and .308, I'd say the table's reasonably accurate in terms of feel. The higher the numbers, the stouter the recoil.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Others have covered it well, but be sure to wear 'muffs...it's bark is much worse than its bite.

Enjoy your time...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by exactlymypoint View Post
    AR-15 recoil is minimal. She shouldn't have any issues. Never shot a .308 but I would definitely stay away from 7 mm magnums.
    I shoot deer with a 7mm Weatherby magnum...is that overkill? It's my elk gun. Just aim dead on out to 300 yards and it'll drop anything pretty much.
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

so first i have to apologize for any misinformation. im still to all this gun stuff, and am working from memory.

so i took her shooting today. the Glock 9mm was her favorite. (no surprise there) That was the first gun of the day we shot.

Then i wanted to try a sniper rifle, so we went over and tried one. not sure of the make and model, but it was a 22. i shot low and to the right, no clue how she shot, but she liked it.

from there was to a hand held ak-47 (not my fav. gun ever) and after seeing the flash, she didn't wanna try it.

from there we went back to 9mm handguns, we shot a few of those, then jokingly i pointed out the 45 magnum (i'm pretty sure thats what he said it was), and we both put 7 shots through that.

from there, i shot a 50 caliber revolver once (at $5 a shot, thats all i could afford) she didn't wanna try that one for some reason (could be the recoil was a beech)

then from there we did a little trap shooting (a 20gauge shotgun i think. it was the smaller of the two, a 12 and a 20), i did 5, and hit 3 of 5 clays (first time ever shooting trap) then she took one shot, didn't like it, and i shot the last 4 of hers. i think i hit them all, though the last one didn't break like the rest, just kinda took a small chunk off it, so i'm not sure if i hit it, or it broke in mid air.

all in all, we both had a great time (till that whole paying part, $85 ish, my treat of course) i didnt get to take a pic. of her target, but the first shot she took was high and to the right (over the "shoulder" of the target) and everything else was in the target. im proud for a first time shooter. :D ill put mine up when i run the pic through paint and mark the shots.

thanks for all the help, i think it did play a part in her trying a few

BTW: shes addicted

EDIT: as promised,
    Red = .50 from a revolver
    Blue = .45
    Green = 9mm

NREMT-B

"Dead is dead"
    "Yea, till we show up with jumper cables and drugs to debate it"

My Army drill Sergeant didn't use his chin, but maybe that was a different era!
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    My Army drill Sergeant didn't use his chin, but maybe that was a different era!
    I think i get where your going .... thats a brave man!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links