Going to buy a K98 Mauser soon

This is a discussion on Going to buy a K98 Mauser soon within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The K98 is one of my "dream" rifles, not only for it's history and nostalgia, but because it's also one of the best bolt actions ...

Thread: Going to buy a K98 Mauser soon

The K98 is one of my "dream" rifles, not only for it's history and nostalgia, but because it's also one of the best bolt actions ever made.

For those who own a K98, what should i look for when i go pick one out?
    Let's Roll - Todd Beamer

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    You have to beware.

If you want a shooter a lot of the Russian captures are good shooters

If you want to collect, know what you are looking for as far as markings.

Firearms and Uniforms of the Wehrmacht

Learn which way the Proof marks are suppose to face. Some rifles have fake marks that face the wrong way.

I would suggest Mauser.org to start your research but it appeals to be offline
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

ive been to mauser.org...i love the product, but i cannot afford them. the one i am getting will be like $240. thanks for the info!
    Let's Roll - Todd Beamer

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

what should i look for when i go pick one out?
    A Carl Gustav barrel? I've only had a 98 model Argentine in 7.65. I traded it in the late 80's, that and about six boxes of Norma ammo. Therefore my knowledge is limited, and my fascination with them sort of dwindled. I still have a Mauser though.......Sweedish M96 in 6.5 sporterized by Kimber. Still, it has a Carl Gustav barrel.

VIP Member
    I have a K-98 Mauser (or as my daughter likes to chide a "mouser"). I just bought it recently it is a so-called Russian battle field capture. I haven't spent much time examining it in detail, heck I haven't even shot it yet.

I have a Swedish mauser that is supposed to be a very good rifle too. I think someone told me it was made on German machinery, though the Swedes supplied their own steel. They are supposed to be fine rifles, maybe better than the K-98's? I haven't shot it yet either.

I did buy a Swiss K-31 and shot it. It won't win in beauty contests whatsoever, but it does shoot very well. Mine had the soldiers tag in it.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Assuming you want to shoot it, What you need to look for is correct head space and no heavy rust / pitting on the receiver below the stocks. You really need a set of head space gauges, but if you do not have a set, remove the firing pin from the bolt and use masking tape on the rear of a live round. If the bolt closes on two layers of tape, do not shoot it - heaspace is .006 - .008 out of spec. The barrel will have to be removed and the breech face and shoulder have to be re-cut. It is not a DIY project.

The smoothest surplus 98's IMO are the CZ 1922's. The Swiss K-31's are very accurate, well made rifles. Mine will group < 2" all day long @ 100 yds.
    I always aim for the right eye...and I never miss - Goldeneye

Make sure of the chambering/ caliber before firing. There are some that have been rechambered to 8mm/06, etc.

VIP Member
    Does it have to be a German k98? Or would a CZ (BRNO) or Sweedish 96 or Yugo fit the bill?

The Yugo M48 ( not the 24/47) is a very nice Mauser rifle produced just after WW2 on the original German tooling. They were made after the war (1948) and with the developement of the ak-47 were instantly obselete and put into storage. They are machined and fit better than most of the K98s made during the war. Also, since they came after the war there is no collector value driving up the prices on them. You can get one "new", unissued still in cosmoline for about 300 bucks. I have one that I rebuilt into a sporter as a fun project. I paid 99 bucks for mine about 4 years ago. Get a copy of The Shotgun News and look through there for pricing.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

i want a german one. before i moved out here i was in a gun store with my brother and there was a K98 is such incredible condition...original marking..awesome looking, then i moved. The Yugo's are cheaper, but i want a German.
    Let's Roll - Todd Beamer

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Links