What A Wonderful Trip To The Range...

This is a discussion on What A Wonderful Trip To The Range... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I just have to share the story of an absolutely wonderful range outing with my wife. For her August birthday, I had bought her a ...

Thread: What A Wonderful Trip To The Range...

What A Wonderful Trip To The Range...

I just have to share the story of an absolutely wonderful range outing with my wife.

For her August birthday, I had bought her a Ruger LCP. We had it out once, but she wanted one more outing with it before putting it into carry duty. Previously it had eaten both range and defensive ammo (Federal Hydra Shok) just fine, but she really wanted to make sure it was ready and she was too.

I was especially patient and attentive to her needs, only intervening gently when I had a tip I knew was relevant and helpful. Being supportive and keeping my tater trap shut other than when complimenting really made for a relaxed and productive session.

One magazine shot slowly, then we simulated a number of attacks on her, ranging in distance from about 4-20 feet, using an IDPA target. We added in some verbal commands and upped the speed, and she whacked COM relentlessly.

After about 6-7 mags through the LCP, we decided a little time with her current carry piece, an S&W 642 with CT grips, was in order. I had brought about 150 rounds of WWB along for that part of the outing.

Before today, almost all of her practice with the 642 was without reliance on CT. I was able to position a target stand such that we had it shaded from direct sunlight, so the laser showed well.

Here's where the real fun began!

We started with a 2"x2" square of duct tape on the target to offer a defined point to target with the laser. The idea was then to hold the revo below the point where the sights would come into play, totally relying on the laser. I was amazed and highly impressed at how fast and accurate she shot!

Then, I'd randomly load just two rounds in the cylinder and she'd shoot until they were gone...when focussing on that laser dot any evidence of a flinch was gone...that dot just wiggled a bit but always stayed about where she wanted it. She did some one handed shooting, and practiced from cover...every time the shots were fast and hits perfect!

After nearly 100 rounds through the 642, I could tell she was feeling very confident with it, to the point that I doubt she'll replace it with the LCP.

OK, now how do I say this...it could even be described as romantic, since we were so respectful, patient and supportive toward one another. Folks that aren't part of the shooting community wouldn't understand, but all of you will--to both of us it was a perfect date...

2. Remove Ads

Sounds like a wonderful time indeed.

Sounds like you guys had a blast! Nice to see that you can have the interaction and enjoy the time at the range.

My wife does come to the range with me but still working on getting her to open up to the idea of carrying. I've got .22s she is lights out with and .45s she shoots good but doesn't like the kick, I'll have to pick up a 9mm or .380 maybe that'll help.
    Thanks,
    Rock

VIP Member
    If she's shooting that good you better be respectful!!

I agree though, any day at the range is good, but when you can get the wife to go too, and you see that smile and look of confidence on her face, well that just makes it that much better.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Awesome!
    You can never have enough magazines or ammo.

OD*
    Sounds like a great time indeed.
    Last edited by OD*; September 27th, 2008 at 11:09 AM.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Sounds like a good time. You wife is tougher than me if she can handle 100 rounds through a 642!

That does sound like a great time, as well as some great training, and in fact is pretty darned romantic, in my highly educated opinion!

Time for my young bride and I to take a range trip. Then a bottle of champagne and some candlelight when we get home . . .
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Aren't they all great days at the range? ;)

Quote Originally Posted by adaman04 View Post
    Sounds like a good time. You wife is tougher than me if she can handle 100 rounds through a 642!
    I shot some, but she personally fired at least 70+. While she has mild soreness in her wrists afterward, we just don't find target ammo in the 642 to be punishing, I believe in part because of the way those particular grips soak up recoil.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

What a team! Sounds like a great time together.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Links