Defensive Carry banner

Opinions on Ruger GP 100

3K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  Der Alte 
#1 ·
Looking at one in Stainless w/ 6 inch which is Actually a KGP161. Looking to hear from those who own one or have shot one

#2 ·
GP100 is a great gun, I've only ever shot 3 and 4" models bt you will not be disappointed.

What is it's main attended purpose?

#7 ·
you didn't like the original grips. I think they look nice how do they feel. ARe you a hokie fan being in Bedford? Ever shot a deer with 357
I found the grips with the finger grooves kept the gun more stable while shooting full power magnums.

Never shot a deer with a revolver, but plenty of others have and it'll do the trick or so I've been told.

As for Tech, I'm not originally from VA, and don't care much for College ball. :gah:

ETA: These were the grips I removed:

#9 ·
GP100 is a good gun. I have a 4" model, and have left the original grips on it since I like them. It actually is the wife's gun since I have graduated to the Redhawk in .44mag.

It has good balance, the trigger is good and they are built rock solid. I couldn't pass mine up, since a guy only wanted 200 bucks for it and it was like new.

#11 ·
I'm not a wheel shooter, and never will be. But my buddy was looking over my shoulder and said the Ruger is a fine firearm for anyone who couldn't afford a Smith & Wesson. I have neither brand. Could he be correct?

#13 ·
GP100 was my 1st carry weapon w/ 3" loved it. I got older, the gun seemed to get heaver, so made the switch to an auto. Great revolver shoots nice and still looks new after all these years. Good luck with the hunt!

#16 ·
4" GP100 is the first handgun I bought. I still have it and I gotta say it's still my favorite because of the way it shoots and has held up. I don't take it out much anymore in order to keep it as new as possible. I bought it back in `90 and they have held their value.

#17 ·
I bought a GP100 4" when they first came out. Rock solid gun, easy to maintain.
Shortly after I bought it I was out shooting. Was using CCI Blaser rounds, aluminum casings. one of the rounds sounded and "felt" funny when I shot it. Checked the gun and found the casing was split from the rim towards the mouth of the casing, could not eject it using the ejector rod. Went home and removed the casing. Called CCI, explained what had happened and my concerns for possible damage to the gun. CCI paid to have the gun sent to Ruger for inspection. No problem with the gun, other than a burn spot on the cylinder. Then I was sitting at home one afternoon and the doorbell rang. I believe it was Fed Ex (been close to 20 years ago now) delivered me a box with 10 boxes of the new CCI (I believe the casings were being teflon treated).
Too bad the days of service like that are gone. :frown:

#20 ·
The GP100 was the first revolver I bought. It is SS with the 6" barrel. Absolutely love this gun. Can shoot loads out of it that would blow up other revolvers. I did change the original grips to the hogue rubber grips. The original ones I didn't like having the wood insert and the left side piece cracked after shooting one day.

#21 ·
If anything, the GP-100 is overbuilt. It will handle any load you want to feed it. I use mine as a home defense weapon - run out of bullets and its heavy enough to beat the BG senseless. The 4 incher is, in my opinion, to large and heavy for concealed carry - I like carrying my lightweight SS S&W, 5 inch 1911.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.