Got pulled over by the cops today

This is a discussion on Got pulled over by the cops today within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Once again folks.........handing over your permit is a good move. Answering questions needs to be tactful in order for you not to forfeit your rights....you ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Got pulled over by the cops today

Once again folks.........handing over your permit is a good move. Answering questions needs to be tactful in order for you not to forfeit your rights....you can still be honest about things BTW. A traffic stop for a broken or malfunctioning tail light by NO means constitutes searching your vehicle or examining any weapons therein unless they are in plain view. It's quite possible the OP opened the door to the search and removal, and examination of his possessions by his words alone. I'll stick to my opinion that a warrant-less search was conducted in this case. Above all, know your rights, there are a lot of folks in this great country that don't actually know, and then there are those who would take advantage of you not knowing. If you are asked to exit your vehicle, you have every right to step out, and lock your vehicle up tight. Leave no opened doors. I'd also add the OP might have been pressured by an outnumbering force in this case. Intimidation immediately comes to my mind. Intimidation plays a vital role in this instance from what I see. That may not be illegal so-to-speak, but it should be. By the way....I have no intentions of ill will toward our fellow LEO's. You should know how I stand by now.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    I don't disagree with you Ram Rod, but that wasn't a search.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I've imagined being pulled over close to my home and getting patted down -- would be rather embarrassing if some passing neighbors took notice -- most assume the worst when witnessing a pat down. I think. I don't think that's fair to get a pat down.
    It is utterly illogical to believe that passing laws to reduce gun violence will be successful when those who are commiting the gun violence do not obey the law.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Were you requested to get out of your vehicle? Or did you just do so on your own? You're looking at the first step as to why things might go wrong in this situation. I'd remain in my vehicle until requested to exit. That should be SOP for any ordinary citizen in my opinion.
    i was asked too..

Quote Originally Posted by exactlymypoint View Post
    Naa, they all probably just wanted to see your guns. I bet they never saw a 70 year old .22. Must be a classic.
    she's a beaut! they even asked me how it shot.

the cops were PERFECTLY OK with me having guns. but where i live, they have to follow procedure. I was not harrassed, insulted, demeaned, and in my view, none of my rights were violated.

I read/hear people who never have been pulled over by cops say all this stuff like "ill do this, that...yada yada"...lemme tell you...that all went out the window. I knew the laws, i knew my rights. lemme deal with this and go.

they did NOT search my car. they asked me to see the .22 (you cannot have a loaded rifle in a car here), i OK'd it. they checked it out, marveled over it's simplicity and conditions, put it back in the case.
    Let's Roll - Todd Beamer

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan; by way of St. Mayberry, GA
    It was handled alright. We could nit-pick and Monday quarterback.....but with how the OP stated it went down and knowing the police have thier policies they follow, it was a good stop.

I'll even guess that the majority of LEO's don't pull over too many licensed carriers all to often so it may be a new aspect to a traffic stop for him (them)as well. Of course I'm guessing as to the # of stops that involve CCL individuals.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Is getting stopped for a broken taillight any less of a crime than getting stopped for speeding, DUI or reckless driving. They are all crimes. I think the OP handled it perfectly and maybe the LEO didn't handle it as you would like but I can't see where the did anything wrong. There was a case around here a few years ago where a Highway Patrolman tried to pull over someone for a broken taillight. A chase ensued and the patrolman wound up being shot by the driver. Turns out that he was running drugs. Thankfully the LEO had on his vest and was just bruised.

Quote Originally Posted by goldshellback View Post
    It was handled alright. We could nit-pick and Monday quarterback.....but with how the OP stated it went down and knowing the police have thier policies they follow, it was a good stop.

I'll even guess that the majority of LEO's don't pull over too many licensed carriers all to often so it may be a new aspect to a traffic stop for him (them)as well. Of course I'm guessing as to the # of stops that involve CCL individuals.
    i asked him about this...he said he does not pull over many, but many who are pulled over do not tell the cops up front. i was pulled over for something insignificant that i didn't even know about (tail light). people around here are pulled over for FAR worse then me.
    Let's Roll - Todd Beamer

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    Drop the magazine but leave the chamber charged...idiot.
    That's what I was thinking.

The funny thing about this story is that I told 762 that his tail light was out about a month ago
    That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about a hundred and nine, ninety five. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?

http://www.nevadashooters.com

Quote Originally Posted by whyipackmy45 View Post
    That's what I was thinking.

The funny thing about this story is that I told 762 that his tail light was out about a month ago
    i think u need to shut up. out of sight, out of mind. i totally forgot!!!!! gettin the new bulb today on my lunch break.
    Let's Roll - Todd Beamer

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Actually I personally when asked if i had any other weapons in the vehicle would of responded yes,but when asked if they could retrieve it would of responded not without a search warrant.You see in this country we have the right to unreasonable search and seizure,and just because we don't allow LEO to search because we have nothing to hide shouldn't make us suspect or criminals.I wanta puke everytime I see cops using the if you have nothing to hide then you don't mind if i search your vehicle do you,actually I think I should ask to see their fishing license, since they are on a fishing expedition
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Actually I personally when asked if i had any other weapons in the vehicle would of responded yes,but when asked if they could retrieve it would of responded not without a search warrant.You see in this country we have the right to unreasonable search and seizure,and just because we don't allow LEO to search because we have nothing to hide shouldn't make us suspect or criminals.I wanta puke everytime I see cops using the if you have nothing to hide then you don't mind if i search your vehicle do you,actually I think I should ask to see their fishing license, since they are on a fishing expedition
    I'm thinking we have a right to a reasonable search/seizure but I know what you mean.

I think all went well. The only question which has been mentioned but the OP didn't clarify is the round in the pipe.

I have been pulled over a couple of times over the years while CCW (1x FL, GA, and AL) and never more than a question (if that) about where it is. On the age old question about OC there is a funny anecdote. I was living in the country and had occasion to OC on the property. Once after putting up with an afternoon long party from down the way (100 yards) I finally called LE for noise violations. Not 30 minutes later the offending party called and reported me for brandishing and threating with a weapon. Based on the nature of the call the nearest LEO, which was a FHP, rolled. When he arrived he asked if I had a weapon and of course I did but it was CCW even on my property. He asked could he take it and he ran the CCW, and the serial numbers. Since it was raining we invited he and the county Deputy in. He asked about the body armor. It just so happened the next day I was head down range. He asked that I not reload until they left. I did. Even with that report I thought they did fine.
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

I really am a law abiding citizen and have nothing in my vehicle or house I could be arrested for,I don't drink and follow the law to the best of my ability.But there are cops that are trained to fish,that's why they ask questions when you are just stopped for a broken tail light.It is stops like that that have lead to everything from narcotics to homicide arrests,due to the person thinking if it acts like he's got nothing to hide and gives consent to search the LEO won't search.As soon as you give LEO carte blanche permission to search,anything they find whether you know about it or not WILL BE USED AGAINST YOU.I've been stopped twice for speeding violations in the last 18 months,both were while I was travelling,I have never been disarmed by either officer one was a small town TX cop the other a Kansas Trooper,and neither one asked if I had anything I shouldn't in the vehicle.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    ...But there are cops that are trained to fish,that's why they ask questions when you are just stopped for a broken tail light.It is stops like that that have lead to everything from narcotics to homicide arrests,due to the person thinking if it acts like he's got nothing to hide and gives consent to search the LEO won't search....
    Tim McVeigh
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

Administrator
    but again, this wasnt a search.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Ok, here is something no one on here seemed to consider . No one here knows what may have been going on before the stop. If the police were looking for someone who had shot or threatened some one, they would be on high elert. They may have just been told of something that had happened that started with just a simple start. In my opinion I think the officer was right to maybe error on the side of caution. He is the only one that can make sure he returns home at night. Complacency gets officers killed.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links