Got pulled over by the cops today

This is a discussion on Got pulled over by the cops today within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by dukalmighty ...due to the person thinking if it acts like he's got nothing to hide and gives consent to search the LEO ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Got pulled over by the cops today

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    ...due to the person thinking if it acts like he's got nothing to hide and gives consent to search the LEO won't search.
    Yes and no, most know (if they have been in the "game"long enough) that they are done at this point, permission to search granted or not.

As as Raevan pointed out, we only know about 1/8 of the entire story, thats 762's perspective.
    "Just blame Sixto"

2. Remove Ads

they did NOT search my car...just took the rifle which was in clear view when the hatch was open out of the case.
    Let's Roll - Todd Beamer

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    This is the kind of crap that make me...!

This guy empties your sidearm for a broken tail light"?...how petty! I respect LEO's, but this is the exact stuff that points out how the inexperienced new cops need to be 'educated'.
    I'm sure that SIXTO will chime in, and I'm sure that if stopped BY SIXTO...you would not have been disarmed.

Pretty petty...but I guess it gives him something to brag about back in the lockerroom.

OMO, but FL LEO's have been very professional and understanding about who to hassle...certainly not a CCW holder with a bad tail light.

OK, I'm done!
    Wow... Amazing the attitude some people have. Then again, you probably don't do much in your life but go to work and come back and for the most part stay out of harms way. You don't have to pull people over who may have a broken tail light, but may also be trafficing, suicidal, just killed their entire family in a snap fit, or be off his medication and snap trying to shoot the officer.

I tell you one thing, over the years of reading CCW forums, if I ever do follow through with becoming an officer I will be taking all your weapons. If anything for the attitude that just because you are a CCW holder you think you are a better and more "trusted" person than everyone else. I took that test too, I finished the test in less than 2-3 minutes. Anyone can pass it.

Then again, a cop dies and you pay no attention either right? You only care when they take your weapon away to make sure they get to go home to their families.

bae
    Quote Originally Posted by DeathByCactus View Post
    I tell you one thing, over the years of reading CCW forums, if I ever do follow through with becoming an officer I will be taking all your weapons.

I hope for all of our sakes that you do not become an officer while you are carrying that chip on your shoulder.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I hope for all of our sakes that you do not become an officer while you are carrying that chip on your shoulder.
    Well I miss spoke when I said, "all." I will remove weapons, CCW or otherwise, regardless of my opinions of people and their ridiculous or legitimate attitudes. My life (in this threads case the officer's life) is greater than the offenders "want" to not have your weapon temporarily secured.

Quote Originally Posted by 762 View Post
    He then reached into my vehicle, pulled it out of my holster, removed the magazine and asked me if i had anymore weapons in the car.
    This I have a problem with! Much more risky for a AD/ND when reaching for a weapon between driver and door in a confined space.

I see the reason for keeping the driver in the vehicle and away from the LEO, but someone reaching for a gun and not knowing if that person is "knowledgable" about that gun gives right for concern.
    "Brains before Bullets"

he asked me what kind i had before it was secured. mine has a double safety on it (Springfield XD)
    Let's Roll - Todd Beamer

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Quote Originally Posted by TX-JB View Post
    Being a retired LEO, I may not agree with the way they handled the situation, but I also don't see where they violated any of his rights. He was stopped for a broken tail light, once he informed them he was carrying, the LEO chose to disarm him. He was polite and professional according to the OP. The OP stated there was a .22 in the back. They asked him to get out of the vehicle, then proceeded to inspect the .22. The LEO was within his rights to pat him down while interviewing him and asked him before he did, which he wasn't required to do. They did not seize any of his property, or illegally search him. They also didn't give him a ticket for the broken tail light.

Again, I would not have handled the situation that way, unless it was department policy to do so. As long as the officer was courteous and professional, I don't really, see a problem with the whole thing.

It was handled well by both parties. The officer DID ask permission before the pat down. Permission COULD have been refused, but in MOST states that issue CCW's it is expressly stated that in contact with LE, you MUST inform the officer that you are armed, and surrender the weapon if instructed to do so.

Remember guys....a CCW is a priviledge, not a right. I don't want to get into the 2nd Ammendment argument...I am 1billion percent pro 2A, but as far as most LAWS are concerned...it is not a right. I think Vermont has it correct...they have it in their state constitution that carrying for defense is a right, whether it be concealed or not. I am talking about the other 49 here. In Arizona where I live, open carry is a RIGHT, yet CCW is a privilidge, and when you accept the responsibility of CCW, then you also accept the rules and limitations that go with it.

My standard response to a CCW holder when I was informed they were carrying, and the location of the gun was: "Okay, thanks for letting me know...if you don't play with your gun, I won't have to play with mine." It broke the tension for the subject of the stop, and 9 times out of 10 he got the "good guy pass" especially if it was for a minor equipment violation.

Now that I am retired, if I am pulled over...I tell the officer: "Officer, I just want to let you know...I have a legally concealed handgun in a holster on my right hip. Here is my License, proof of insurance, and permit...what would you like me to do next?"

The above sounds a whole lot better than: "I have a gun" which to a rookie or a sensitive type could sound a whole lot like: "I GOT A GUN!"

Just be safe guys, and 'member...your gun is like your AMEX card...don't leave home without it.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisco View Post
    It was handled well by both parties. The officer DID ask permission before the pat down. Permission COULD have been refused, but in MOST states that issue CCW's it is expressly stated that in contact with LE, you MUST inform the officer that you are armed, and surrender the weapon if instructed to do so.

Remember guys....a CCW is a priviledge, not a right. I don't want to get into the 2nd Ammendment argument...I am 1billion percent pro 2A, but as far as most LAWS are concerned...it is not a right. I think Vermont has it correct...they have it in their state constitution that carrying for defense is a right, whether it be concealed or not. I am talking about the other 49 here. In Arizona where I live, open carry is a RIGHT, yet CCW is a privilidge, and when you accept the responsibility of CCW, then you also accept the rules and limitations that go with it.

My standard response to a CCW holder when I was informed they were carrying, and the location of the gun was: "Okay, thanks for letting me know...if you don't play with your gun, I won't have to play with mine." It broke the tension for the subject of the stop, and 9 times out of 10 he got the "good guy pass" especially if it was for a minor equipment violation.

Now that I am retired, if I am pulled over...I tell the officer: "Officer, I just want to let you know...I have a legally concealed handgun in a holster on my right hip. Here is my License, proof of insurance, and permit...what would you like me to do next?"

The above sounds a whole lot better than: "I have a gun" which to a rookie or a sensitive type could sound a whole lot like: "I GOT A GUN!"

Just be safe guys, and 'member...your gun is like your AMEX card...don't leave home without it.

i'm sure if i was not in Vegas, i probably would not have been disarmed. Police are stretched thin here and there are so lousy areas of town...once he saw my ccw and all, he was cool with it and even said "hey, u got a ccw, i dont care that the [Edited] you do...you're cool"
    Let's Roll - Todd Beamer

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Quote Originally Posted by DeathByCactus View Post
    You don't have to pull people over who may have a broken tail light, but may also be trafficing, suicidal, just killed their entire family in a snap fit, or be off his medication and snap trying to shoot the officer.
    I'd suspect those types don't have a ccw permit and notify the officer that they are carrying.
    Does anyone know of a case where a person with a permit, notified an officer he was carrying, and then shot the officer?
    So all this bravado was a show to intimidate an innocent person.
    He then reached into my vehicle, pulled it out of my holster
    I'd say the chances of you getting shot were higher than of his getting shot.

Why did you tell him you were armed? There are only 10 states that have that requirement.

1.Arkansas
    2.Louisiana
    3.michigan
    4.Nebraska
    5.North Carolina
    6.Ohio
    7.Oklahoma
    8.South Carolina
    9.Texas
    10.Utah

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Guns and more View Post
    I'd suspect those types don't have a ccw permit and notify the officer that they are carrying.
    Does anyone know of a case where a person with a permit, notified an officer he was carrying, and then shot the officer?
    So all this bravado was a show to intimidate an innocent person.

I'd say the chances of you getting shot were higher than of his getting shot.
    One can use the same argument to illustrate the other side of the coin too...

Yes, it is unlikely that I'm going to get shot by the honest guy with a CCW, so when somebody doesnt say anything about being armed and I spot the gun, I have to assume intentions are not good.

I dont see any bravado or intimidation here at all. Its about doing whats best at the time to make sure we all get to the next day.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Agree with Sixto (and this discussion on notify or not notify continues to go full circle)...I think one has everything to gain by notifying and nothing to lose. Being within the letter of the law (or have the law on your side) doesn't necessarily reduce frustration...in fact, it may increase with the one carrying losing while it is being sorted out. Could all be sorted out up front and everybody leaving essentially as happy campers.

Pressing to test (not notifying) can result in what Sixto mentioned...the "why".

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by kimberland View Post
    Why did you tell him you were armed? There are only 10 states that have that requirement.

1.Arkansas
    2.Louisiana
    3.michigan
    4.Nebraska
    5.North Carolina
    6.Ohio
    7.Oklahoma
    8.South Carolina
    9.Texas
    10.Utah
    he would have know by running my license...then i am in trouble.
    Let's Roll - Todd Beamer

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

In SC my CWP is not tied to my drivers license and sure isn't tied to the license plates. Lots of times it is my wifes car or maybe a company car. LEO walks up and I don't say anything about my gun since it is concealed he doesn't know at all. Some way he catches a glimpse of it or sees the print of it what is he going to do? Remember that in SC you are required to notify. I don't see anything good coming out of that stop.

Just because someone has a permit doesn't mean they are perfect as some are trying to imply. Just that when they got their permit supposedly they hadn't done anything.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links