Got pulled over by the cops today

This is a discussion on Got pulled over by the cops today within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Think of the encounter as an opportunity to build a rapport with the local LEOs. In my experience, just knowing a responding officer, has made ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Got pulled over by the cops today

Think of the encounter as an opportunity to build a rapport with the local LEOs. In my experience, just knowing a responding officer, has made a possible hassle not happen.
    Just never know when you'll run into them again.

2. Remove Ads

i live in louisiana so i have to, BUT

i always tell any LEO as soon as he walks up i have a firearm in the vehicle next to my right leg. out of probably 50 stops (what can i say, i have a need for speed, better now that im a father) i have only been disarmed once.

here, they have to ask to search without arrest or probable cause, if you consent they can search until you say no. personally if they want to search, look at my guns, pat me down within reason, i say yes because a happy cop is less likely to write you a ticket. i would rather the officer be comfortable and know that i have nothing to hide and comply with his requests than to be uptight and nervous because i have guns in the truck.

now the one time i was disarmed peaved me off, he removed the mag, emptied the mag on my bed cover, racked the slide letting the round bounce off of my truck while the gun was pointed in my direction, dropped the mag on the ground, wrote me a ticket, and then told me to wait and get my gun after he was no longer within site. needless to say i was more worried about him with a gun than anything else!
    "If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective."
    Ted Nugent

Quote Originally Posted by kimberland View Post
    Why did you tell him you were armed? There are only 10 states that have that requirement.

1.Arkansas
    2.Louisiana
    3.michigan
    4.Nebraska
    5.North Carolina
    6.Ohio
    7.Oklahoma
    8.South Carolina
    9.Texas
    10.Utah
    while this may be true the OP didnt specify as to which state his permit is from, i know with at least the utah permit that you must tell the officer you are armed even if you are in a state that doesnt require you to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by yankeeman View Post
    while this may be true the OP didnt specify as to which state his permit is from, i know with at least the utah permit that you must tell the officer you are armed even if you are in a state that doesnt require you to do so.
    That is wrong. When you travel, you must abide by the laws of that state you travel to. If there is no duty to inform when armed in that state, you do not need to. Which state your license is from does not matter.

Never been disarmed by a LEO because I never tell and haven't been asked. It's not the law in Mass. and my LTC is not linked to drivers lic. or plates. My weapon is concealed and that means hidden from the LEO so he can't see it to ask about it. No problems, keep it professional and move on. Multiple cruisers
    at my light bulb stop doesn't happen, and my weapons don't get fondled. Simple, no?

Quote Originally Posted by 762 View Post
    i'm sure if i was not in Vegas, i probably would not have been disarmed. Police are stretched thin here and there are so lousy areas of town...once he saw my ccw and all, he was cool with it and even said "hey, u got a ccw, i dont care that the [Edited] you do...you're cool"
    Was this in North LV? I've heard that Henderson and North LV LEOs tend to disarm people.
    That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about a hundred and nine, ninety five. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?

http://www.nevadashooters.com

Yeah, North Vegas...

BTW - tail light is fixed there buddy boy
    Let's Roll - Todd Beamer

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Quote Originally Posted by Guns and more View Post
    I'd suspect those types don't have a ccw permit and notify the officer that they are carrying.
    Does anyone know of a case where a person with a permit, notified an officer he was carrying, and then shot the officer?
    So all this bravado was a show to intimidate an innocent person.

I'd say the chances of you getting shot were higher than of his getting shot.
    Without a doubt there are probably cases exactly like that. I am not going to waste my time looking for them to prove a point on this forum though. The thought that it is "possible" is good enough for me. Then again I am lazy and if the guy seems cool, then I probably won't bother.

There was no bravado or intimidation that I read.

I hope that the least that he did was to put the magazine back into the gun for you and rack 1 in the chamber for you if not i would of told him yo is that the way you found when you snatched it out of my holster dude ha ha I am sure an answer like that woud of gotten you cuffed glad it all worked out well, you did the right thing

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kimberland View Post
    Why did you tell him you were armed? There are only 10 states that have that requirement.

1.Arkansas
    2.Louisiana
    3.michigan
    4.Nebraska
    5.North Carolina
    6.Ohio
    7.Oklahoma
    8.South Carolina
    9.Texas
    10.Utah

I always tell an officer who pulls me that I' armed. I hand him my CCW with my license, and let him know that I'm carrying. I believe that an officer's job is hard enough, and that he should know where a weapon is located in any car that he stops. Sure, he's perfectly safe with me, I would never harm anyone not trying to harm me or my family. But he should know, just for his peace of mind. And they've always appreciated it.

Quote Originally Posted by DeathByCactus View Post
    Without a doubt there are probably cases exactly like that. I am not going to waste my time looking for them to prove a point on this forum though. The thought that it is "possible" is good enough for me. Then again I am lazy and if the guy seems cool, then I probably won't bother.

There was no bravado or intimidation that I read.
    Me thinks condescending tone. I made a quick search and found a site, Violence Policy Center, (funny, thats what I thought CCW laws were about) they had a story abour CCWer getting arrested. It is so common that they have 7 cases inTexas from '96-97. There splash page has todays date. I emailed them asking for any data pertaining to this "hypothetical". I look forward to their reply.

Those wacky Texans.
    An Update on Arrests of Texas Concealed Handgun License Holders

Arrest Incidents of Concealed Handgun License Holders

Because of the Texas law's broad confidentiality provision, identifying the circumstances of arrests involving concealed handgun license holders is extremely difficult. However, the VPC has collected information on the following arrest incidents from newspaper accounts, law enforcement homicide divisions, district attorneys' offices, and public data on criminal records. The section offers detailed information on specific arrests: one for aggravated kidnapping and six for murder or attempted murder.License to Kill, and Kidnap, and Rape, and Drive Drunk...
    Wow, and I just I could defend myself and other as required!!! I'm gonna have to re-read the law, they did say I had to keep current.
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

VPC - License to Kill, and Kidnap, and Rape, and Drive Drunk... - Arrests of Concealed Handgun License Holders in Texas, January 1, 1996 to December 31, 1998

WOW!!!!!! If these facts are correct it really takes a lot out tof the CCW holders are angels sails.

Just some highlights.

Murder/Attempted Murder 15

Driving While Intoxicated 442

Sexual Assault/Aggravated on a Child 15

Sexual Misconduct 70

Robbery/Burglary/Theft/Larceny 133

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by rolyat63 View Post
    Me thinks condescending tone. I made a quick search and found a site, Violence Policy Center, (funny, thats what I thought CCW laws were about) they had a story abour CCWer getting arrested. It is so common that they have 7 cases inTexas from '96-97. There splash page has todays date. I emailed them asking for any data pertaining to this "hypothetical". I look forward to their reply.

Those wacky Texans.

Wow, and I just I could defend myself and other as required!!! I'm gonna have to re-read the law, they did say I had to keep current.
    Glad you had the time to do that. I was in the process of studying for three exams I had today and was just taking a forum check session. I was a little grouchy. Thanks for looking up some info though.

Senior Member Array Joshua M. Smith's Avatar
    I'm not going to read all of this, but here's my take:

First, it's SOP for the LEO to disarm you. It's what most are taught, and what they know.

If they asked if the .22 was stolen then took a look at it, there was likely a firearm theft and they wanted to make sure it was, indeed, not stolen.

I've had police disarm me and I've had police tell me, during the AWB (when I was last pulled over), that my 15 round mag was illegal (nope, not in Indiana - besides, I detained the guy for you, didn't I?) I argued back on that one, cited sources, and the officer (who I had known in school and was one of those who felt he needed to compensate because he had been picked on) just stammered something about getting back to me about it. I'm still waiting...

Then I've had officers let me keep my sidearm on me. They had no problem with me sitting in their cruisers or whatnot while armed. The most memorable stop was in Vincennes IN during a holiday. There was a sobriety checkpoint and I told the officer who asked me if I'd been drinking that no I hadn't, and I was armed. He responded that he was armed too, and said something along the lines of "you don't draw your weapon and I won't draw mine, OK?" Then we talked about guns until the next car pulled up behind me.

While I'm sure there are some very fine young officers out there, my experience has been that those who are young tend to have the "holier than thou" attitudes and overreact to the presence of firearms in private citizens' (I know you didn't just say "civilians'") hands, while the older officers are alert but more respectful of individual rights.

Josh <><

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links