A few SHTF guns...

This is a discussion on A few SHTF guns... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Not sure where this should go; Mods may move as appropriate, please. Preamble: I know some "true conservatives" think that our economy will recover from ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A few SHTF guns...

A few SHTF guns...

Not sure where this should go; Mods may move as appropriate, please.

Preamble:
    I know some "true conservatives" think that our economy will recover from it's current lull in a timely fashion, and that everyone is just over-reacting. They may be right, but I don't think so.
    Given today's almost-800-point drop in the Dow Jones (the single largest one-day drop in US stock market history), our current state of financial and political unrest, and both presidential hopefuls in support of renewing the AWB, I've decided to pull some money out of investments and buy a few guns "just-in-case".
    In all honesty, guns are probably a "safer" investment than anything else right now anyway.

Objectives:
    1) These guns need to be 100% rugged, reliable firearms chambered in the most commonly available calibers.
    2) I'd like to have a gun for any perceivable defensive situation. I live in a very forested area where a shot over 200 yards would be extremely rare, so a "sniper" style rifle is not required.
    3) These guns need to retain good resale value so that if all of this panic does indeed turn out to be paranoia, I won't end up taking a big loss.
    4) If possible I would like to stay as far under the radar as legally possible - maybe buying with cash at gun shows or etc... if feasible, for obvious political reasons.

My current arsenal:
    I already have handguns chambered in .38/.357, and .45 ACP and feel the only other caliber I need to cover in the handgun department is 9mm. I also have a pump action 12 gauge, and a Winchester 30-30. Also just ordered a stainless Ruger 10/22 (every survival arsenal needs a .22 rifle, right?).

My question to you:
    Given the above-mentioned objectives, and the guns I already own, what would you buy?

I'm currently thinking about an AK in 7.62x39, an AR style weapon in 5.56 (or perhaps a second AK in 5.56), and an XD in 9mm (Still haven't gotten over the lack of manual safety and blocky feel of Glock). Also considering a Saiga 12 for it's versatility.

Thanks guys.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

2. Remove Ads

I would say an AK is a must and a battle rifle chambered in .308 wouldn't hurt either.
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

VIP Member
    Along with what you mentioned, I would add a good bolt action 30-06 and scope.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I recommend an AK - unbreakable...but i would buy real soon. I just picked up a Yugo AK...many places are out of stock/back ordered on many items and prices are going up...don't delay..
    Let's Roll - Todd Beamer

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

I would start being concerned about having too many guns and not enough ammo for each. Standardizing does have some benefits worth considering.

Quote Originally Posted by Rivers View Post
    I would start being concerned about having too many guns and not enough ammo for each. Standardizing does have some benefits worth considering.
    i agree....
    pick 2 calibers and work with that. I have 2 AK's - same caliber...people have told me to get an AR, but then i'd have to stock pile 7.62x39 and .223 along with my others.
    Let's Roll - Todd Beamer

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

While it does have a grip safety the XD doesnt have a "manual" safety ..... once its in your hands it might as well be a glock. (thats a good thing as far as im concerned)
    Depending on the situation an SKS might be better then an AK just becuase the SKS has more of a "sporting" look as opposed the the "scary" look of an AK

bae
    I'd get either a pair of AKs, or a pair of ARs, depending on your budget and religion. My preference would be the AKs.

You already have a shotgun, so I'd eliminate the Saiga-12 from your list for now. Your current shotgun handles the limited TSHTF shotgun role just fine.

Depending on where you live, I'd consider also a scoped rifle in some significant caliber.

As to your 9mm handgun, get a boring old Glock and a pile of cheap magazines while you can. Though you might do better to simply duplicate your existing 45 acp handgun, and/or get more magazines and ammo for it.

just a couple of thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Rivers View Post
    I agree.

In that vein I have a "fairly extensive" collection, but I buy only common caliber firearms. 38/357, pistols and carbines, .223/5.56, .308/7.62x51, 7.62x39, 12ga, 20ga, .22lr,.45,9mm, .40.

When I buy reloading supplies I follow the same principle. I use one type of hadgun powder for every caliber and one type of rilfe powder for every caliber, so I only have to stock two powders and large and small rifle & pistol primers.

I won't try to answer the question directly, since the kind of guns you buy are ultimately your own choice. However, I would recommend the addition of a nice adult air rifle. They are nice for quiet, small game hunting and you can buy 1000 rounds of ammo for $5. I would also recommend a .357 lever action carbine to supplement your revolver. redundancy is always a good thing. In a SHTF scenario, one is none, two is one, three is better.

Other things to consider are the total cost and difficulty of care of the weapons system itself. That means special cleaning gear if needed, magazines, ammo, accessories. Try to think of what can go wrong and weight the advantages and disadvantages.

ie... if I buy a bolt rifle with detachable mag, I can change mags quicker, but what if I somehow loose my mags? If you had a box mag rifle you don't have to worry about loosing the mag. Same thing with an SKS and AK. Run out of mags with an AK and you have a single shot, but with an sks you can reload one at a time and still have 10 shots even if your out of stripper clips. You would save a lot in not having to buy spare mags in the first place, and could buy more ammo instead. With a tube fed .22, there is always the possibility of loosing the mag tube rod. Same thing with clip fed, etc.. Just some things to think about.

Basically keep it simple is my motto. Unless you are on an unlimited budget you will have to make some tradeoffs here and there and decide what works best for you.

BTW: If you are really convinced the wheels are gonna come off of the system, which I don't tend to believe, then I would say buy plenty of ammo for the guns you have and don't buy anymore new guns until you have at least six months worth of food stored and some method of getting access to a good supply of clean water. All the guns and ammo in the world won't help if you can't eat and get water.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Buy multiple rifles that use the same ammo and mags. Then you will have friends when you need them.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

SKS, SAIGA .308,and plenty of ammo, and training.

To answer a few replies:

I 100% agree about ammo stockpile and already have at least 500 rounds for each caliber I currently use. I will increase this stock.

Part of the reason I want to buy a few more guns is because I currently do not have anything chambered in 5.56/223, or 7.62x39, or 7.62x51/.308 win, or 9mm. Should "SHTF", these calibers may be easier to find than the ones I currently shoot, so having weapons in those calibers seems like a smart idea.

I already have several months worth of food (two freezers fully stocked, plus a whole bunch of canned goods and vacuum-packed goods) and a private well for water. Also working on some gasoline storage. I appreciate the advice there, though.

I guess I should have phrased my original question more like this:

I want a rifle in 5.56/.223 and a rifle in 7.62x38 or 7.62x51 (whichever is easier to find in the USA, I suppose), and a handgun in 9mm, for "survival weapons", that will also hold good resale value in case this whole panic turns out to be false. What would you recommend?

Thanks.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

think also of ammo costs. .308 is pricey and .223 isn't cheap. 7.62x39 is by far the cheapest ammo out there (wolf). i can stockpile 2x the amount of AK then i can with .223.
    Let's Roll - Todd Beamer

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

I think you should buy at least 1 bolt action in 308. Ruger M77 are very good rifles and can be gotten for resonable price, also the Savage 110 are good.
    If you check around sometimes you can fine surplus 7.62x51 in bulk, I bought a case of Argentina 145gr 1600 rounds a few years back, I also found some U.S. 145gr in stripper clips. It is more expensive then 7.62x39 but is more powerfull. 308 is good for most animals in the continental U.S. out to 300yds.

I also think an SKS would be good, easier to carry through brush then an AK.

A simple single shot .22 serves for most small animals.

I also think that a marlin .357MAG/38SPC leveraction to compliment your pistol. If money is real tight look for a Mosin Naget M44, you can still get surplus ammo in 7.62x54R cheap.

I currently am trying to get at least 100 rounds of each firearm in my collection, one never knows what gun may need to be called on.

I would recomend that if you really feel the need to buy more rifles go for the ones that have the cheapest ammo that endure the best, SKS, AK, M44 are a few examples.

As 762 almost stated, you can buy a LOT of ammo for the cost of another gun. An AR will cost you around $700, but you can buy 7.62x39 for $199/K. Otherwise, you can pay the $700 for the AR, then spend that much more for enough ammo to make it worth keeping. Plus, you will still have to buy ammo for whatever else you already have.
    The AR is a fine weapon in its own right, but more expensive to buy and to feed. For those that choose this format, it's as good as any/better than many.
    I'm all for as much/many as you want to/can own, but for what you're asking, I'd start with minimum variety for logistics reasons. (BTW, some .357 revolvers can be fitted with 9mm cylinders, for added versatility ) If you don't expect to exceed 200 yards, the 7.62x39 was designed for you, specifically engineered for 350 yards effectiveness.
    The SKS is a fine rifle, as tough as - and generally more accurate than - the AK but using 10-round strip-loaders, and it's a little longer (and cheaper).
    The AK is tough as a pick-handle, almost as simple, and will hit a man-sized target at the 350-yd range using 30 (or 40) round detatchable magazines.
    I have one of each (AK and SKS), and I hope I never have to "lose" either one.
    I have a K31 and about 100 match rounds for anything longer than that (about 800yds+) - though I doubt the real necessity of it.
    When my daughter got married and moved out, I bought her an SKS with 10 strippers and 100 rnds to start (No handgun - she's under 21 ). I'll do the same for the others in their turn.
    Hope this helps.

Stay safe,

Chuck Brick.
    Last edited by chuck brick; September 30th, 2008 at 06:53 AM.
    Why do I use 230 gr. for my .45acp?
    Because I can't find a source of 250 gr!
    http://chucksrantings.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links