.45 ACP Carbine

.45 ACP Carbine

This is a discussion on .45 ACP Carbine within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have been looking, and looking and LOOKING at a .45 ACP carbine. (Feather Industries) I owned a 9mm just like it a while ago, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .45 ACP Carbine

.45 ACP Carbine

I have been looking, and looking and LOOKING at a .45 ACP carbine. (Feather Industries) I owned a 9mm just like it a while ago, and let it go when money got tight. Of course, I have regretted that. Anyway, this .45 has come up for sale, and I'm really not into long guns, so I post this question......

Will I get any accuracy and/or distance from that caliber in a long gun?

Stopping power?

Pros/Cons, any first hand information or even educated guesses would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

.45 ACP is a "big, heavy, slow" caliber (compared to say, 5.56mm which is a small, light, fast caliber).
    This means that it has more bullet drop at longer distances than light, fast calibers do - so if you want to be making shots at any kind of longer distance, you'll need to aim high.

.45 ACP has acceptable accuracy for most defensive situations, that's not a real concern.

At close ranges, .45 ACP is an excellent "manstopper" - but remember, it's a pistol cartridge. Although many SMG's and carbines have used the .45 over the years, it's not intended as a long-distance penetrator. That's what rifles are for.

What do you want this gun for, anyway? For home defense, a .45 ACP carbine would be a great choice. But if you're looking for something to deliver distance and long-range accuracy, you should be looking at a rifle cartridge.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

Thanks for the info!

I have a few .45 pistols and thought that a matching long gun would compliment them,(sharing ammo is a plus) BUT, if I'm not gonna get accuracy at , say, 50 yards or so, I'll abandon the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Zsnake View Post
    Thanks for the info!

I have a few .45 pistols and thought that a matching long gun would compliment them,(sharing ammo is a plus) BUT, if I'm not gonna get accuracy at , say, 50 yards or so, I'll abandon the idea.
    Even a .45 ACP handgun is accurate at 50 yards in the right hands. I can hit popcans 8 out of 10 times at that distance with a 5" barrel 1911.
    I thought you were talking about longer distances than that.

I'm just saying, the .45 ACP is a handgun cartridge, and it does it's job (close-to-medium range combat) extremely well. If you're looking for a gun to make longer distance shots accurately, look at a rifle cartridge.

If all you want is a defensive weapon capable of delivering acceptable accuracy and good "stopping power" at 50 yards or so, a .45 ACP carbine sounds like a good call.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

Check out the new "Kriss Super V" KRISS-TDI.com: The first major breakthrough in automatic weapons operating systems design in more than 120 years!

I have had the opportunity to shoot and play with these rifles.
    And I can tell you they live up to the reviews.
    I am still saving for one of my own.
    "Planning to draw and chamber a round after TSHTF is like planning to fasten your seatbelt after you see the other guy run a stopsign..."

Professional hand engraver.
    To see full picture of knife in Avatar click here

My Thompson came with a flip up rear sight, it's amazing how much 230gr. ball drops.

The .45 is a slow, short range (but devastating in it's range) round. I'd certainly prefer a faster flatter round for a carbine. If carrying the same ammo in your handgun and carbine is important, the .44mag is much better.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

I picked up a Marlin Camp .45 for precisely the same reason. I wanted something to share ammo, and it helps that it shares the same mags as the 1911 which is my EDC.

As far as accuracy, 75-100 yards is going to be about the high end of your range. Anything further than that, and it's time to grab the 30.06 with a scope or whichever rifle you prefer.

IMO, the .45 carbine is not something you would ever want to put a scope on, and is not really that useful beyond 80 yards or so, but the advantages of being able to share ammo(and in my case magazines) greatly outweighs the cons.

If I had to give up every gun I owned except 4, I would take my Kimber 1911, my Marlin Camp .45, a 30.06 bolt action, and a 12 gage shotgun.

With those, I can hardly see a circumstance where I would not be prepared.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    I got the Storm in .40cal, a bit faster and a fairly hot round which makes better use of the long barrel.

The problem isn't the range, it's the knockdown power once it gets out there. It falls fast.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

the rifle will change penetration a bunch. from my handgun most ball wont penetrate cinder blocks. from the rifle it does easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Zsnake View Post
    I have been looking, and looking and LOOKING at a .45 ACP carbine. (Feather Industries) I owned a 9mm just like it a while ago, and let it go when money got tight. Of course, I have regretted that. Anyway, this .45 has come up for sale, and I'm really not into long guns, so I post this question......

Will I get any accuracy and/or distance from that caliber in a long gun?

Stopping power?

Pros/Cons, any first hand information or even educated guesses would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    The .45 carbine will shoot a lot farther than 100yds and still kill! Just as the pistol will. However, the problem with this rd. is it's accuracy. For hunting deer inside of 100yds you should be OK. Beyond that get a better tool. You will find that if you reload your own ammo you will be making one rd. for your pistol and another for your carbine. What works well in your pistol will not be the same as what works best in a longer barrell. You could load a small amount of fast burning powder for pistol, and then you might have to choose a larger amount of slower burning powder for the longer barrel. The slower buring powder will give the bullet a little more speed in the longer barrel. Just the nature of the beast! I personally would not hesitate to purchase shuch a gun if it is what you want. The .45 pistol is not the best hunting rd. out there, and like AZ Husker said the .44mag combo would be best for hunting. As a purely self defense rd. the .45 won't let ya down!

Y'all be safe now, ya hear!

Carbine

I have a Camp .45 and it shoots accurately at 50, 75, and 100. There is virtually no gain in power from the long barrel with non +p loads, and only a minimal gain with +p. Some loads loose power. I chronographed a bunch of stuff years ago and I load it with Cor Bon 185gr +p. It's at it's best with a scope for muzzleloaders or shotguns, low magnification and enough adjustment for the bullet drop. With a dot sight (or iron sights) it's a good HD gun.

Pistol cal carbines are best at 50yd or less - they can hit farther but why use them went you have other choices. I love my semi-auto Thompson - always works, looks great and it is a BLAST to shoot. My 9mm AR is fun also - a little faster, a little lighter but not as cool or as fun. Each tool has a limit. Understand what that is and plan accordingly. Long range - get a rifle cartridge. Want speed and up-close - use a pistol cartridge. Get Both - just shoot!!!!
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

i have the marlin camp 45 as well . mounted a scope on it , and sighted in for 100 yards . pull the trigger and 1 second later it wallops the com .

for you that also have them . marlin will send you a manual and IPC i bought a couple of the buffer pads . a piece of the original had calved off and prevented the sear from striking the pin.

i've had to work on the mag disconnect as well as it pushes up and over , it had a bur and wouldn't allow mag insertion . i bought a new stock with the checkering 60 bucks . as this one had been abused . the trigger group has like 7 pins and springs that have to all be held together at the same time when reassembling it .

all that said i wouldn't trade mine for... , ok i would be stupid not to trade it . but i would regret it . the reason i bought one that needed some care was 45's were hard to find , 9's however weren't . i think they take the ruger mag for those who think that would be cool .

as for my four well currently my four are the samilspec the camp the 870 12ga and a 243wssm on layaway .

now i'm going to go look at the one zsnake mentioned .

stay safe

elance

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links