Wife went to the range with me for the first time ever

This is a discussion on Wife went to the range with me for the first time ever within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My wife isn't interested in guns. She doesn't like guns and wished they didn't exist. She has no idea how many guns are in our ...

Thread: Wife went to the range with me for the first time ever

Wife went to the range with me for the first time ever

My wife isn't interested in guns. She doesn't like guns and wished they didn't exist. She has no idea how many guns are in our society because she only sees mine and no one else's. Except for input from me, she believes there is no need to own or carry a gun. She has accepted the fact that I carry everywhere we go and at home, mainly because it's my decision and I refuse to compromise on this issue.

Anyway, last weekend she went to the range with me because 1) I was on my way to pick up our daughter, and 2) the wife was in a good mood so she decided to come along. I think all the planets were probably aligned, too.

She didn't shoot, but she did get some good exposure to lots of people and lots of guns. She saw other ladies and even some entire families with little kids. The lady at the Kahr table was a good example also of women who like guns. From my wife's description, the lady had a Kahr .380. I'm only guessing, but my wife said it was a small gun, and she overheard the lady saying that specific gun would be released soon. I didn't pay any attention to it because I was shooting the larger Kahrs. (I was hoping to shoot Sigs and Glocks, but those reps didn't show up this year. )

I had thought I might post a picture of my wife without showing her face, but she said she didn't want to be like Sarah Palin and be shown on the internet with a gun. So sorry, no pics.

The point of this post is to acknowledge the small steps my wife has taken. She has:
    1. Stopped making an issue of me carrying
    2. Sometimes takes the spray I bought her when she goes walking
    3. Went to the range with me
    4. Sometimes even smiles when she searches and finds my gun on me. (Haven't told her about the BUG yet... don't want to press my luck.)
    5. I even found her watching "America's Most Wanted" by herself the other day, so maybe she's starting to understand that evil does exist in this world, and that sometimes evil happens to "regular" people like us.

At the current rate, by my calculations she may be ready to carry herself in perhaps 80 years or so.

Just wanted to share some good news, plus some encouragement for you guys who have wives that are totally against you owning or carrying guns. Sometimes the planets do align. Not often, but sometimes.

2. Remove Ads

Ah...the simple joys of life. Small steps lead to bigger steps. Don't be impatient. Besides....this will give you added time to stock up on future ammo.

You just blew one of your few things to do with the guys...
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    You just blew one of your few things to do with the guys...
    I'd gladly give up some "testosterone romping" time in exchange for my girlfriend taking an interest in shooting and self defense.

@ Grady, best of luck! See if you can get her to go with you more often.
    Pink Ladysmith stocking stuffer this Christmas maybe?

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    I had thought I might post a picture of my wife without showing her face, but she said she didn't want to be like Sarah Palin and be shown on the internet with a gun. So sorry, no pics.
    How about one of her field dressing a moose?

Baby steps, my friend, baby steps. Pretty soon, she will be out shooting you.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

VIP Member
    Good story and good patient, subtle work by you getting her more interested.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

That's great to hear that your wife is opening up to guns. My wife went from zero to 60 in a year, with regards to shooting, self-defense, alertness, training, etc. She's taking Krav Maga now.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Zaria View Post
    I'd gladly give up some "testosterone romping" time in exchange for my girlfriend taking an interest in shooting and self defense.

@ Grady, best of luck! See if you can get her to go with you more often.
    Pink Ladysmith stocking stuffer this Christmas maybe?

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    The pink Taurus would make a good option....that is what my wife is getting......wether she likes it or not!!!
    I carry a gun because cops are too heavy!
    Take my advice, Don't take my advice!

Cool , glad to hear it .
    PS. I alway like reading your post
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

My wife of 16 years shoots too!

While she is not as crazy about guns as I am, she will shoot any of my guns when she has a chance.

Great Story. THANKS
    "Life is like a box of chocolate... You never know who you are going to shoot."

my flickr photo page

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    Got mine to promise to fill out her CCW paperwork before Christmas....which Christmas I don't know.....
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

Good news. Sounds like you are definately making progress.
    Watch out though, she might get to be a better shot than you and that can be embarrasing. I speak from experience. (twice - in front of spectators no less)

My wifey tried to beat me in trap this weekend in front of some of my friends. It was close, but I pulled it out in the end by 3 clays. I jokingly told her she isn't allowed to shoot anymore for a while. She said, "Yeah right."
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Links