Gunshop fever strikes again.

This is a discussion on Gunshop fever strikes again. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was going to the the gunshop this morning to make my layaway payments today and I got thinking about that little booger of a ...

Thread: Gunshop fever strikes again.

I was going to the the gunshop this morning to make my layaway payments today and I got thinking about that little booger of a PPK I've got (S&W version). I haven't been able to run more than three rounds through it without a FTF since I bought it. I tried polishing the feedramp and chamber, no improvement. I could probably break it in over time and have a reliable shooter but the dang thing keeps biting me as well.

So, I decided I'd take that little PPK in and use it as trade in fodder then apply whatever they gave me toward my current layaways ... that was the plan anyway.

Well, I talked to the owner and he said he could give me an extra $50 if I applied it to something new instead of applying the value to my current layaways. "Hmmmm" says I, "I've been wanted another revolver anyway so what the heck." So what did I decide on?

A 629 PC Carry-Comp:

(photo from the S&W website, mine has smooth grips)
    Product: Model 629 Revolver - Carry Comp

This'll be my first Performance Center gun so I'm all hyped up. Not sure what to expect from it other than smoothness but there's something about that 3" N frame that balances just about perfectly. Not looking forward to that blast from the comp though.

I think I'm going to have to start mailing in my payments before I have the whole store on layaway. ... and yes, I'll post pics when I finally get it home.

For the record, my layaway collection now has a Colt 1991 blue Commander, a Kahr MK9 and now the 629 PC.
    Jack

P.S. I'll be posting some PPK accessories for sale in the BST Forum tomorrow (or as soon as I get pics).
    Last edited by maclean3; October 1st, 2008 at 09:21 PM. Reason: it's an N frame, not a K ... I knew that.

I'm with ya man. I just picked up my Glock 23 today (very pleased). Thinking about a Sig 556.

No pictures posted, "you've seen one, you've seen 'em all"

I have a 3 inch 629 from 1989 that was sent back then to the P.C. for a trigger job. Better than glass.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Must be something in the water, eh?
    I looked around the shop and finally had it narrowed down to either an M1-A or the 629. I figured the S&W would be easier to hide from my wife.

Congrats on the G23. I really like my 19, it's a great size for carry and they both have respectable capacity.
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Supertac45 View Post
    I have a 3 inch 629 from 1989 that was sent back then to the P.C. for a trigger job. Better than glass.
    Sounds like it oughta be really sweet then. I didn't try the trigger, last thing I wanted to do was scratch the cylinder on a gun that expensive. They had it listed for $1059.

Anything special I should know about the comp? I've never had a comp'ed gun before. Are LSWC loads okay? Any particular bullet weight that performs best from that barrel length? What's a good .44spl load? I haven't bought .44 rounds in several years.
    Thanks,
    Jack

Nice pick...everyone needs at least one revolver!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Feed a fever, starve a cold. Good job. Is it getting warm in here ??????

Well, I just saw the same gun listed on GunBroker for $200 less ... crap. Oh well, at least my dealer has an unlimited layaway plan.
    Jack

Sponsored Links