Safe Knowledge?

This is a discussion on Safe Knowledge? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am in an interesting situation. I need a safe, but can't really afford what I know I need. Now, before those of you that ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Safe Knowledge?

Safe Knowledge?

I am in an interesting situation. I need a safe, but can't really afford what I know I need. Now, before those of you that subscribe to the "you can afford all those guns, then you can afford a safe" point of view chime in, allow me to elaborate. Most of my guns are from a time in my life when I lived with my parents, who had a nice large safe for me to keep them in. Now I am living on my own, with a wife and 2 year old child, and I need a place to keep my guns. I only have my Glock (which stays on me), my Ruger LCP, my Marlin model 60 .22, my Izhmash LOS-7-1, and my new AR-15. Now, prior to now I was not too concerned about a safe. Obviously with the addition of a brand new $1200 + AR-15 and a $1000 LOS-7-1, I am becoming more concerned about locking them up. SO, now that I have explained my need, I will explain the reason for this post. I am wondering if any of you have experience with cheap alternatives to a good gun safe that would work for a year or so until I can afford a high-end safe. I live in an apartment, so bolting anything down is NOT an option at this point. I live on the second level, one way up and one way down only, so break-ins are not a huge threat. I just want them locked up and out of view, especially with the number of visitors to my house lately when I am not home. Anybody have a suggestion for me? Thanks!
    EVIL PREVAILS WHEN GOOD MEN FAIL TO ACT.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Can you put them in a closet and run a cable through them
    that is bolted on one to the floor/wall and locked on the other end to a bolt?

A plain steel cabinet is better then nothing, at least you could put a hasp (if it doesn't already have one) and a pad lock on it. It would be much easier to drag up the stairs then a safe. It would also be enough to keep your kid(s) away from your guns.

If you want it foam and fabric lined to protect your guns go to a fabric store and buy the materials and do it yourself. You can customize the interior anyway you want, add shelves and gun rest with some lumber/plywood and felt material. Checkout your local hardware and sports stores for plain metal cabinets. Are they as good as a regular fireproof gun safe - no, but at least it gets them out of sight and gives some security.
    "I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals." - Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by nn View Post
    Can you put them in a closet and run a cable through them
    that is bolted on one to the floor/wall and locked on the other end to a bolt?
    NN, bolting anything to anything is not an option, due to me living in an apartment.Also, I have curious little fingers around that I dont want to reach my firearms. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by spooter66 View Post
    A plain steel cabinet is better then nothing, at least you could put a hasp (if it doesn't already have one) and a pad lock on it. It would be much easier to drag up the stairs then a safe. It would also be enough to keep your kid(s) away from your guns.

If you want it foam and fabric lined to protect your guns go to a fabric store and buy the materials and do it yourself. You can customize the interior anyway you want, add shelves and gun rest with some lumber/plywood and felt material. Checkout your local hardware and sports stores for plain metal cabinets. Are they as good as a regular fireproof gun safe - no, but at least it gets them out of sight and gives some security.
    A good suggestion. Has anybody gotten one of these on the cheap? What is a good price for such a cabinet. I know that wally world used to sell "gun cabinets" that were not much more than a flimsy steel box with a lock. Maybe I could get something like what you suggested, and when I am done I can use it to hold cleaning supplies and ammo, etc....

Senior Member Array mech1369dlw's Avatar
    Right about now, WallMart is getting in for the Christmas season, a 14 gun safe that I own 2 of. About $400 each, electronic access, good safes. They are heavy enough to need 2 fairly large guys carrying it. Mine are in closets, bolted to the floor and thru the back wall. That is all I need. There will probably be someone here soon that will tell you that if it don't cost thousands of bucks, or it don't weigh thousands of pounds, or both, that it is junk. What I have works for me. You asked, you got it, Toyota.
    A person is justified in the use of deadly force, if such person reasonably believes deadly force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to such person or a third person.

Quote Originally Posted by luvmyglock View Post
    A good suggestion. Has anybody gotten one of these on the cheap? What is a good price for such a cabinet. I know that wally world used to sell "gun cabinets" that were not much more than a flimsy steel box with a lock. Maybe I could get something like what you suggested, and when I am done I can use it to hold cleaning supplies and ammo, etc....
    I agree good idea. I would search craigs list, used office supplies etc.. for a used file cabinet. Depending on how handy you are you can remove the drawer (some or all), remove the from panels off of the drawers and fix them on a solid piece of material with articulating hinges mounted back in the cabinet. We have some similar to this with a tab on the op and bottom with a bar with a tab on it that we put a high grade lock on to prevent the drawers from being opened. The lock is mostly for pickability as a ten year old can pick it or just yank it open. Then dress up the inside as the previous poster stated. It wouldn't look out of place. Oh, if you pursue something like this get one where there is no space between the drawer or very little. Makes the cover better.
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

VIP Member
    Not the greatest in the world, but until I was able to afford a real safe I used one of these. Light enough to get into your apartment, locks with a key. I use it now for ammo storage. You should be able to find them at Walmart/K-Mart/Dick's Sporting Goods. Most anyplace that carrys hunting and shooting supplies.

Gander Mountain® > Stack-On Eight-Gun Steel Security Cabinet - Hunting > Shooting Accessories > Gun Storage > Safes & Accessories :

Just a thought, I lived in an apartment at the time. I drilled holes and toggle bolted it to the wall, not really going to stop someone who wants them bad enough, but a little inconvience for them. When I moved I just spakled the holes in.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    Stack-On isn't to bad for the price. It will definitely keep little fingers away and as you said it can then be relegated to ammo storage when you can afford a better safe. I've got several and they keep the kids away.
    Archer beat me to it.
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

I'm in a 2nd floor apartment also. I forced open the opening to the attic in the closet and store stuff up there. Keeps everything out of sight of the maintenance crews and I doubt if a dishonest member would look up there. Definitely out of reach of little fingers as it's a pain to get up there.

How about a used Gang box like they use on construction sites? They lock up very secure.

Quote Originally Posted by HITCH KING View Post
    How about a used Gang box like they use on construction sites? They lock up very secure.
    I haven't worked much construction, only a little concrete when I was a teen...therefor I regret to say I have no idea what the @*#* you are talking about.....

You have to ask yourself what you're willing to lose if someone breaks in...$1000?, $3000?
    There never seems time, money, or opportunity to do it right the first time, but always plenty of each to do it over again.

If you absolutely had to get a 'BG gun carrier' (a cheap metal safe), then possibly you could find a place to effectively hide it...build a false wall in a closet, etc.

OMO

Good luck...
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; October 1st, 2008 at 10:28 PM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    You have to ask yourself what your willing to lose if someone breaks in...$1000?, $3000?
    There never seems time, money, or opportunity to do it right the first time, but always plenty of each to do it over again.
    I have renters insurance that covers my firearms, if need be....

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    If you absolutely had to get a 'BG gun carrier' (a cheap metal safe), then possibly you could find a place to effectively hide it...build a false wall in a closet, etc.

OMO

Good luck...
    Not to be a jerk here (retsupt you know I have the utmost respect for ya) but seems to me that I am getting lots of responses here about bolting stuff down or making false walls. I have mentioned twice (or is it three times) that I live in a stupid apartment. I don't have these options.

Why not lift up the carpet and bolt something down there? When you move, you simply unbolt it and tack the carpet back down. No one will ever know.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links